Electric fence first time. Questions ?

Help Support CattleToday:

My bush block along the border has an old netting fence for dogs, it was put there many years ago by the people on the NSW side. I latter years they put a low hot wire on it to stop the dogs from digging under. It was not uncommon to find an echidna zapped by it. They go under the wire OK but get zapped and their spikes become erect like a bridegrooms penis and of course they can't back out.

Ken
I have some disturbing images in my mind right now.......

I have this unit and it works great. Zareba 50 mi AC Electric Fence Charger.
They are the top seller in the US of A, so there will be a lot of bitching and griping put out there. Stihl is a pretty good saw and if you read these Arborist sites you would think otherwise. Some people can't stick their finger in their azz.

Going to have to read up on testing electronics. I cant find any circuit diagram of it online. Its quite a bit more complicated than anticipated. Its got two ICs

I use Patriot and Gallagher. I have a solar Gallagher on the barb wire fence between us and the neighbor who has Angus heifers. The neighbor didn't think it would keep my bull on my side of the fence, but he laughed so hard he fell over when he saw the bull hit that wire and then make deliberate attempts to stay away but still wanted those heifers. The bull has never crossed the fence.

I have a really old Parmark - it is in a metal case with 2 knobs on the outside. The only way to know it is on is to listen for the loud "click". But I think it is going bad because a brand new battery lasts less than a week on it.

My Patriots have been really good although I did have a 15 year old unit go bad. I actually put one up around my elderly neighbor's yard about 6 and 10 inches high to keep the wild hogs out of her yard. She said the first night she heard a kid screaming and went outside to see nothing. I laughed and said the hogs hit that fence and they've never been back. I cautioned her to be sure not to touch it because it has literally knocked me off my feet. She told her adult sons the same thing but there's always one in the bunch that has to touch it themselves. :D He told me he was sitting in the back yard looking at this tiny little charger thinking, heck, it can't hurt that bad. I started laughing because I knew what happened next. He said he thought he'd go to the far end of the wire, furthest from the charger, it would not be so bad. He quickly realized his errant thinking when he touched it. It threw his arm back with such force he thought he needed medical attention. The next weekend he played golf with a retired police chief in Houston and his arm and elbow still hurt. He recanted the story to the chief, who also laughed hysterically. The chief told him that's exactly what it feels like to be tazed. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

I have never used an electric fence. I can buy one at TSC or order one online. A neighbor told me to tie some flags on the wire so the cows see the fence and to turn the voltage all the way up? My cows are short bred and not hot wire broke. Is there any chance of stress from the first introduction to a hot wire fence causing miscarriages ? Thanks
I use a 30 miler on way less than that. Usually it runs in the neighborhood of 12 KV (more than in Jurassic Park, BTW). I've never had a miscarriage from that. It goes up and down with wet weeds on it, or if I attach more fencing to it (I move cows around and disconnect when there's no one in a pasture so I don't get bit). I will say this-they respect the fence. We all respect the fence in our house. Even my neighbors respect the fence....

Agree with other poster who said have plenty of cutoff switches along the fence and only energize what you need. I use Cyclops solar chargers I bought 1 solar kit from the company that uses 3rd party to make them and after seeing it made my own from there out for 1/4 the price.

I use Patriot and Gallagher. I have a solar Gallagher on the barb wire fence between us and the neighbor who has Angus heifers. The neighbor didn't think it would keep my bull on my side of the fence, but he laughed so hard he fell over when he saw the bull hit that wire and then make deliberate attempts to stay away but still wanted those heifers. The bull has never crossed the fence.

I have a really old Parmark - it is in a metal case with 2 knobs on the outside. The only way to know it is on is to listen for the loud "click". But I think it is going bad because a brand new battery lasts less than a week on it.

My Patriots have been really good although I did have a 15 year old unit go bad. I actually put one up around my elderly neighbor's yard about 6 and 10 inches high to keep the wild hogs out of her yard. She said the first night she heard a kid screaming and went outside to see nothing. I laughed and said the hogs hit that fence and they've never been back. I cautioned her to be sure not to touch it because it has literally knocked me off my feet. She told her adult sons the same thing but there's always one in the bunch that has to touch it themselves. :D He told me he was sitting in the back yard looking at this tiny little charger thinking, heck, it can't hurt that bad. I started laughing because I knew what happened next. He said he thought he'd go to the far end of the wire, furthest from the charger, it would not be so bad. He quickly realized his errant thinking when he touched it. It threw his arm back with such force he thought he needed medical attention. The next weekend he played golf with a retired police chief in Houston and his arm and elbow still hurt. He recanted the story to the chief, who also laughed hysterically. The chief told him that's exactly what it feels like to be tazed. :LOL::ROFLMAO:
There are three kinds of men: the ones that learn by reading; the few who learn by observation; the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence.

On their 50th wedding anniversary and old couple is having dinner at a Tavern. The husband leans over and asks his wife, "Do you remember the first time we had sex together over fifty years ago? We went behind the building and did it leaning against the fence.

Yes, she says, "I remember it well."

OK, he says, "How about taking a stroll around there again and we can do it for old time's sake?"

"Oh Jim, you old devil, that sounds like a crazy, but good idea!"
A police officer sitting in the next booth heard their conversation and, having a chuckle to himself, he thinks to himself, I've got to see these two old-timers doing it against a fence. I'll just keep an eye on them so there's no trouble. So he follows them.
The elderly couple walks haltingly along, leaning on each other for support aided by walking sticks. Finally, they get to the back of the tavern and make their way to the fence As she leans against the fence, the old man moves in.. Then suddenly they erupt into the most furious acrobatics that the policeman has ever seen. This goes on for about ten minutes while both are making loud noises and moaning and screaming. Finally, they both collapse, panting on the ground.

The policeman is amazed. He thinks he has learned something about life and old age that he didn't know.

After about half an hour of lying on the ground recovering, the old couple struggle to their feet and put their clothes back on. The policeman is still watching and thinks to himself, this is truly amazing, I've got to ask them what their secret is.

So, as the couple passes, he says to them, "Excuse me, but that was something else. You must've had a fantastic sex life together. Is there some sort of secret to this?"

Shaking, the old man is barely able to reply,

"Fifty years ago that wasn't an electric fence."

Pardon me for not putting this in the chuckle thread, I thought it was appropriate here.

For cheap electric fencers Patriot is our go to. Work excellent. We have 3 PBX200 ( battery powered) . If you don't mind spending a little more, Gallagher makes a good reliable fencer. No issues with ours plug in fencers. We've tried parmak and both have failed.
And a tool that has saved me a lot of time when checking electric fence, is Gallagher's Fault Finder. Quick voltage test and shows the amps with an arrow pointing you to the problem in the fence. Isn't perfect but has saved me a lot of time. These would be my suggestions.
Patriot solar powered chargers suck IMO. I had 2 of them years ago and they just were not reliable and the battery life was short.
They are made by Tru-Test which is a New Zealand company that also makes Stafix but Patriot is the bottom line of their chargers. Like the difference between a Masarati and a Honda Civic.

Best in the West by test is Cyclops. They ain't cheap but ya get what you pay for and they are easily repairable.

cyclops.jpg

Last edited:
Patriot solar powered chargers suck IMO. I had 2 of them years ago and they just were not reliable and the battery life was short.
They are made by Tru-Test which is a New Zealand company that also makes Stafix but Patriot is the bottom line of their chargers. Like the difference between a Masarati and a Honda Civic.

Best in the West by test is Cyclops. They ain't cheap but ya get what you pay for and they are easily repairable.

View attachment 18340
Which exact model of patriot fencer did u have? I'm just going off of personal experience with 3 of mine no issues whatsoever and we bought the first one about 5 years ago. Tomoro they might quit but for now I'm happy with them. And most cattle guys don't have money to burn so we don't buy the masarati to go to town for groceries. Sometimes the Honda Civic is more practical. Never thought I'd say that lol.

And most cattle guys don't have money to burn so we don't buy the masarati to go to town for groceries. Sometimes the Honda Civic is more practical. Never thought I'd say that lol.
But the question you have to ask yourself, is the added expense worth the peace of mind you have? And if a cheap unit fails, what is the potential cost to you of that failure? Those patriots are known to crap out a lot of the time.
Just like most things cattle though, everyone has different opinions.

View attachment 18340
If you would have said an AMC Gremlin then I could understand, but those Civic ain't bad and looking better with gas prices.

Latest posts