Electric fence first time. Questions ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Richnm

Reaction score
I have never used an electric fence. I can buy one at TSC or order one online. A neighbor told me to tie some flags on the wire so the cows see the fence and to turn the voltage all the way up? My cows are short bred and not hot wire broke. Is there any chance of stress from the first introduction to a hot wire fence causing miscarriages ? Thanks

I am not aware of any energizers where you can adjust the voltage, but I am not saying they don't exist. Disregard all of the bs about 5mile, 20 miles ect. Look at the Joules, that is what tells you the charge in the wire, the higher the joules, the harder the bite. I doubt that there is a chance of miscarriage, but I will defer to the Vets on here for that. Flags might help, but it doesn't take them long to learn what a wire is and to stay away from it.

I don't envisage any problem.
The only adjustment I have seen on the energisers is the duration of the pulse often designated by a tortoise/hare. I would use the faster pulse so they are more likely to get a zap when they put their nose to it.

Ken

Ditto. I am not aware of a user-adjustable setting, but sometimes an electrical repair shop can overclock a fence energizer by increasing the joules. The purpose is to maintain a good zap despite moderate vegetation. I would skip TSC. If you can find a local repair shop that sells fencers, I would buy there and establish a relationship. They're the ones that can help you when your unit gets struck by lightning.

Grounding is important. Keeping the grounding rods in damp earth is important. Unless you live in the mountains of New Mexico, you probably don't get frequent rain. Water the area where you sink the ground rods or locate them somewhere that stays damp, if you can. I placed mine downhill from the gutters on my shop where any rainfall will concentrate to that area. I live NW of Ft Worth and get about double the rainfall as most of New Mexico( I was born and raised in Las Cruces). Even with good grounding, the other part of the circuit is the often dry ground the cattle are standing on. If you are in dry country, you need more joules than somewhere that gets more rain.

I have one of these set up with a solar panel, controller, and battery. Premier fence charger
I see that it says 8 joules on that unit. Does it put out 8 on DC with solar and a battery? I can see it with AC, but I have never seen one that will put out 8 joules on battery power. If it does, I want one.

Last edited:
I read the reviews on the TSC electric fence the reviews are bad. Maybe someone can recommend a good brand ?

I read the reviews on the TSC electric fence the reviews are bad. Maybe someone can recommend a good brand ?
Are you getting one that is battery or solar powered or a plug in type?
Parmak and Cyclops make good Energizers as do Speedrite, Gallager and Zareba. Parmak and Cyclops are made in the US.

I had some units that had two outputs, full and half. You would start with full and once livestock were trained to know the hot wire put to half to keep them honest with less stress. Lightning quickly took those units out and they stopped making them so i suspect there may have been an issue with them. Earthing is critical. I have a good stretch of ringlock wire with metal star pickets, i connect my earth to that and works great. Never lost a pregnancy from electric fence.

I had some units that had two outputs, full and half. You would start with full and once livestock were trained to know the hot wire put to half to keep them honest with less stress. Lightning quickly took those units out and they stopped making them so i suspect there may have been an issue with them. Earthing is critical. I have a good stretch of ringlock wire with metal star pickets, i connect my earth to that and works great. Never lost a pregnancy from electric fence.
You Aussie's take your fencing seriously. Some of the most innovative tools and gadgets I have seen in the fencing world have come from Australia. Stafix used to make a 64-joule energizer that I would have loved to have. but I couldn't' justify the price. I think they quit making them when the merged with Speedrite.

Edit: I just looked it up and they still make them in a 63 joule machine, it runs on 220 volts 🤯

You Aussie's take your fencing seriously. Some of the most innovative tools and gadgets I have seen in the fencing world have come from Australia. Stafix used to make a 64-joule energizer that I would have loved to have. but I couldn't' justify the price. I think they quit making them when the merged with Speedrite.

Edit: I just looked it up and they still make them in a 63 joule machine, it runs on 220 volts 🤯
Wow that is a charger!!! I got to check into that

Are you getting one that is battery or solar powered or a plug in type?
Parmak and Cyclops make good Energizers as do Speedrite, Gallager and Zareba. Parmak and Cyclops are made in the US.
The thing I like about Parmak is they have a needle gauge on them that lets you know if something's wrong with the fence. Don't know about some of the others, I know some around here swear by Cyclops.

They cost between $2400-$2,800.
richnm
The answer above is deceptive by virtue of vagueness.
I suggest contacting Cyclops Fencers yourself.
You will find they do have a quality product that may fit within your budget. LVR

I see that it says 8 joules on that unit. Does it put out 8 on DC with solar and a battery? I can see it with AC, but I have never seen one that will put out 8 joules on battery power. If it does, I want one.

It's hot, it will light up a 5 light tester and pop inside it, the instruction manual can be found in the link. Like any charger it's depended on soil moisture for output. I put everything together except a battery for about the price of a twelve volt parmak solar unit with some careful shopping. My Parmaks are going to be sold.

It's hot, it will light up a 5 light tester and pop inside it, the instruction manual can be found in the link. Like any charger it's depended on soil moisture for output. I put everything together except a battery for about the price of a twelve volt parmak solar unit with some careful shopping. My Parmaks are going to be sold.
Have you put a tester to it? I have just never seen 8 joules from a battery energizer.

Latest posts