Electric fence fault finder and remote

Help Support CattleToday:

With electric fence energizers you get what you pay for. Gallagher, Speedrite and Stacie are all great options. Stay away from the cheap models that advertise x amount of mild of fence they energize. The secret to a successful system is how it's grounded….period. And if you can afford it use wood or composite posts instead instead of steel, 12.5 gauge steel wire, double insulated underground cable and approved connectors.

I have one of the gallagher fault finders. What a time saver. I've become very effective using 2 offset insulators and/or insulated pliers to manipulate and repair a hot fence. Never knew there were remotes for chargers!

Update. I received the package. Charger is perfect (new, original sealed package) but, he sent me a Fault Finder not the Remote.
Remember, seller is sketchie. Can't contact him, so I contacted Ebay, and they contacted him. He returned a msg thru Ebay that he MEANT to say Fault Finder.
I said I didn't care what he meant to say, I will only accept the charger if I get the Remote.
He was panicked and begged me not to return the chgr, he would send me a Remote.
Got it today. Have not taken charger out of package in case I had to mail back.
Another issue is the attachable plug is 2 prong, so now I have to get an adapter...they are like $5
Nephew and I have been sick. Not doing anything other than keeping cattle fed.
Anxious to get it set up. Not more anxious than sick right now.

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear you & nephew are ill...get well soon!.

(How far are those remotes good for? ..iow, maximum distance that it would work, between you and the energizer)

My understanding is, you put it on the active fence and hit the off button. Anyplace on the fence. Then you can also turn back on. It is also a Fault Finder. I have a Stafix FF and LOVE it. Would never be without one.
If you have never used one, you put it on the fence. It will give you a reading on the charger and also tell you if there is a short. You follow the direction of the short until you see an obvious short, or you pass it and look better for it.
If you come to a split, you can see if it continues straight, or goes to the split off. Saves lots of frustration.
I just ordered my plug adapter.
I will let you know how I make out. I have 2 Parmacs. I think 6 joules. This is 15 J.

Update. I received the package. Charger is perfect (new, original sealed package) but, he sent me a Fault Finder not the Remote.
Remember, seller is sketchie. Can't contact him, so I contacted Ebay, and they contacted him. He returned a msg thru Ebay that he MEANT to say Fault Finder.
I said I didn't care what he meant to say, I will only accept the charger if I get the Remote.
He was panicked and begged me not to return the chgr, he would send me a Remote.
Got it today. Have not taken charger out of package in case I had to mail back.
Another issue is the attachable plug is 2 prong, so now I have to get an adapter...they are like $5
Nephew and I have been sick. Not doing anything other than keeping cattle fed.
Anxious to get it set up. Not more anxious than sick right now.
That's a pretty lame excuse Jeanne.

Ken

I've had a Kencove brand charger with a remote for 7-8 year now. Best thing since sliced bread. Carry the remote/fault finder and you can turn the fence on/off to make repairs, or use it to "jump" from one pasture to another where their isn't a gate.

Be advised that sometimes if the fence is shorted to ground the remote won't be able to turn the fence off. You push the off button and it will appear to go dead but then at the next pulse of the charger it will still be on. So after you turn the fence off make sure it stays off before touching the wire. Lol this seems to happen more the farther you are from the charger (in my case a few miles of wire downstream).

you touch it to the fence. so anywhere you can touch it.. it'll work.
have had Parmak and others...i rely on just seeing voltage where i am at..i have all my gaps, when i unhook them it kills everything past them.....check ..hook, go down further...check...unhook..until i find shorts/etc....elec fence is a lifelong job, ...barbed wire is much better ..... if fencing lots of acres by yourself,electric is easier than...4 strand barbed wire...i have done both...63 years old...and tired of both

have had Parmak and others...i rely on just seeing voltage where i am at..i have all my gaps, when i unhook them it kills everything past them.....check ..hook, go down further...check...unhook..until i find shorts/etc....elec fence is a lifelong job, ...barbed wire is much better ..... if fencing lots of acres by yourself,electric is easier than...4 strand barbed wire...i have done both...63 years old...and tired of both

i'll take a 5-6 strand barb for perimeter .. .with a single electric for division. right now i'm ripping out all 5 strand division fences and replacing with a single strand.

Nephew plugged in charger yesterday. Made no changes. Just unplugged old fence - connected hot wire & ground. Old fence was testing 3.2 - new was 7.9 with a 29 short. I think I like it! LOL
So, not only did the "seller" send me the Remote/Fault Finder - he never requested the Fault Finder to be returned. I scored!!!! oops my bad.
Fencing has not been high priority. Just had 10 family members here for a week of hunting and been winterizing everything. And both our quads are messed up. He's got 1 fixed.
Now, in a matter of less than 2 weeks, we need to pull in our first group due to calve. We have 13 due 1-1 to 1-6 (7 are first calf heifers). Like to have them up close 2 weeks before due date - mainly for the chance of twins.

Latest posts