Electric fence fault finder and remote

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
I have a Stafix fault finder. I would never be without one.
We saw one on TV, that was used as a remote to turn fence on and off.
I research a Stafix fencer and it has been discontinued and said they were replaced by Speedrite.
Does anyone have opinion on Speedrite chargers?
Or, any other brand of high joules charger with a remote?

Stayfix and Speedrite energizers are exactly the same inside. Only difference is the color of the case.
The 18 joule units& larger last longer than the smaller capacity units because the internals of the smaller units have the boards encased in epoxy and they suffer from heat issues. The bigger ones (stayfix and speedrite) are not made the same suffocating way.

(I would still go Cyclops if I really needed a good one)

stayrite.jpg

Last edited:
It can work. You should have 3 -4 ground rods 6' deep. Ground wire needs to match rods (same material)
You never indicated if all 5 wires were hot or if there were multiple paddocks or a quarter section. I use mine
in multiple paddocks or places and thus can turn on or off in different areas as needed. A surge protector and
lightning arrestor would be good investments in as much a 5 wires is a good draw for lightning. A five wire
high tensile fence wire with a Cyclops energizer should be hell for stout. If you have steel posts you should check
every insulator to insure there is no crack for voltage drainage. Let us know how it turns out which ever way it goes.

I like the reviews and price of the Cyclops - but, can't find any with a remote. I was hoping to get a remote to carry in the quad. You put on fence and can turn on or off is repairs are needed. Anyone have one with a remote?
That is not a deal breaker though.
We were watching Mountain Men on TV. Guy has a buffalo herd. Showed him using a Stafix hand held device to turn fence on and off.

I have used speedright / stafix products for many years. they are built very well.

I have a 1J, 3J, and 12J speedright charges right now. I have the remote with the 12J. It works fine and is nice to have.

I have heard good things about the stafix/speedrite and if I ever have to replace my charger it will be one with a remote. I believe Gallagher makes one with a remote too and the Gallagher charger I have has been nothing but great for several years now.

@greybeard - did you recommend Cyclop because of price difference? Do you think Speedrite is a quality product?
I found a 15000i Speedrite for $630 WITH remote (which is $266), new at Ebay.
@b.duke and @chaded thanks for those comments.
thats very very cheap for that charger. I just looked and that guy has 0 feedback. I would not risk buying it.

Jeanne id be cautious with that. No feedback at all from seller, no returns, and says its located in Tallinn, United States which I don't believe that exists? Also that is very cheap for that charger.

edit* looks like b.duke was on it as well.

Jeanne id be cautious with that. No feedback at all from seller, no returns, and says its located in Tallinn, United States which I don't believe that exists? Also that is very cheap for that charger.

edit* looks like b.duke was on it as well.
You can also find websites with welders at dirt cheap prices, too. But the companies know nothing of them. Speedrite irked me in dropping a model that I have for no valid reason. It was not cheap and one current parts are gone it is obsolete. There was a guy in MO who was dependable about odd repairs at one time but he melted down or something. I do not need chargers sitting around for months in another state with no answer and no repair.

I like Cyclops. They are quick on repairs and for the price: good chargers. My dislikes are the fuses that seem to go out too often and the growing issue are the fuse holders that seem to fail, too. But no remote for them. You could likely get a receptacle with a wifi switch to turn on and off with your phone. I have not looked into that but they have everything else with an app.

I researched the Ebay site. Even if this "seller" is not legit - Ebay backs the product 100%.
If a seller refuses to let you return the item because it is faulty or not what they SAY it is, Ebay will refund you your money. If you don't get the item, if it's the wrong item, etc. They guarantee 100% satisfaction. I'm leaning towards the Speedrite 15000 with remote for $630. I definitely would not do it off some odd ball site. BTW - the town the seller says he lives in, is a town in another country that is a US embassy. Definitely sketchy.
Still researching.

I have a Stafix fault finder. I would never be without one.
We saw one on TV, that was used as a remote to turn fence on and off.
I research a Stafix fencer and it has been discontinued and said they were replaced by Speedrite.
Does anyone have opinion on Speedrite chargers?
Or, any other brand of high joules charger with a remote?
Speedrite makes excellent Chargers. I have 2 of their fault finders. I keep one on the ranger and one in the truck. I found a short last week in no time because it gave me direction where a stray wire had grounded it out.

Stayfix and Speedrite energizers are exactly the same inside. Only difference is the color of the case.
The 18 joule units& larger last longer than the smaller capacity units because the internals of the smaller units have the boards encased in epoxy and they suffer from heat issues. The bigger ones (stayfix and speedrite) are not made the same suffocating way.

(I would still go Cyclops if I really needed a good one)

View attachment 22656
Speedrite and Stafix merged a couple of years ago, I think it is all under the Speedrite brand now. They used a make 64-joule model that I drool over, but it was about $1k last I checked.

Edit: It is now a 63-joule model and is about $2400 retail. o_O

I think they are made in New Zealand @wbvs58 might be able to give you his thoughts.

Last edited:
I researched the Ebay site. Even if this "seller" is not legit - Ebay backs the product 100%.
If a seller refuses to let you return the item because it is faulty or not what they SAY it is, Ebay will refund you your money. If you don't get the item, if it's the wrong item, etc. They guarantee 100% satisfaction. I'm leaning towards the Speedrite 15000 with remote for $630. I definitely would not do it off some odd ball site. BTW - the town the seller says he lives in, is a town in another country that is a US embassy. Definitely sketchy.
Still researching.

I have ran into that a couple times. Bought a couple things on ebay that were a lot cheaper than they should've been. Items never shipped and ebay gave me a refund, no big deal just a waste of time.

We have generally good luck with Stafix. Also have some Parmaks and used to have one Cyclops.

Speedrite and Stafix merged a couple of years ago, I think it is all under the Speedrite brand now. They used a make 64-joule model that I drool over, but it was about $1k last I checked.

Edit: It is now a 63-joule model and is about $2400 retail. o_O

I think they are made in New Zealand @wbvs58 might be able to give you his thoughts.
Yeh over "the ditch" from us or as Kiwi's say "detch". I don't know much about Speedrite other than I have had one of their medium size chargers for about 12 years and it has been very reliable, packs a hellava punch.

Ken

Latest posts