Electric Fence Episode

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross

Reaction score
If you have ever use an electric fence you should read this. The language used is a bit coarse, but 'he tells it like it is." This is funny....and true. It was sent by a retired dentist.

We have the standard 6 ft. fence in the backyard, and a few months ago, I heard about burglaries increasing dramatically in the entire city. To make sure this never happened to me, I got an electric fence and ran a single wire along the top of the fence. Actually, I got the biggest cattle charger Tractor Supply had, made for 26 miles of fence. I then used an 8 ft. long round rod, and drove it 7.5 feet into the ground. The ground rod is the key, with the more you have in the ground, the better the fence works.

One day I'm mowing the back yard with my cheapo Wal-Mart 6 hp big wheel push mower. The hot wire is broken and laying out in the yard. I knew for a fact that I unplugged the charger. I pushed the mower around the wire and reached down to grab it, to throw it out of the way.

It seems as though I hadn't remembered to unplug it after all. Now I'm standing there, I've got the running lawnmower in my right hand and the 1.7 giga-volt fence wire in the other hand. Keep in mind the charger is about the size of a marine battery and has a picture of an upside down cow on fire on the cover. Time stood still.......

The first thing I notice is my private parts trying to climb up the front side of my body. My ears curled downwards and I could feel the lawnmower ignition firing in the backside of my brain. Every time that Briggs & Stratton rolled over, I could feel the spark in my head. I was literally at one with the engine. It seems as though the fence charger and the piece of crap lawnmower were fighting over who would control my electrical impulses.

Science says you cannot crap, pee, and vomit at the same time. I beg to differ.....
Not only did I do all three at once, but my bowels emptied 3 different times in less than half of a second. It was a Matrix kind of bowel movement, where time is creeping along and you're all leaned back and BAM BAM BAM you just crap your pants 3 times. It seemed like there were minutes in between but in reality it was so close together it was like exhaust pulses from a big block Chevy turning 8 grand.
At this point I'm about 30 minutes, (maybe 2 seconds), into holding onto the fence wire. My hand is wrapped around the wire palm down so I can't let go.. I grew up on a farm so I know all about electric fences .... but Dad always had those junky chargers made by International or whoever that were like 9 volts and just kinda tickled. This one I could not let go of.
The 8 foot long ground rod is now accepting signals from me through the permadamp Ark-La-Tex river bottom soil. At this point I'm thinking I'm going to have to just man up and take it, until the lawnmower runs out of gas.
'Crap!,' I think, as I remember I just filled the tank! Now the lawnmower is starting to run rough. It has settled into a loping run pattern as if it had some kind of big lawnmower race cam in it.
Covered in poop, pee, and with my vomit on my chest I think 'Oh God please die ... Pleeeeaze die.' But nooooo, it settles into the rough lumpy cam idle nicely and remains there, like a big bore roller cam EFI motor waiting for the go command from its owner's right foot.
So here I am in the middle of July, 104 degrees, 80% humidity, standing in my own backyard, begging God to kill me.
God did not take me that day ... he left me there covered in my own fluids to writhe in the misery my own stupidity had created.
I honestly don't know how I got loose from the wire ... I woke up laying on the ground hours later. The lawnmower was beside me, out of gas. It was later on in the day and I was sunburned. There were two large dead grass spots where I had been standing, and then another long skinny dead spot where the wire had laid while I was on the ground still holding on to it..
I assume I finally had a seizure and in the resulting thrashing had somehow let go of the wire. Upon waking from my electrically induced sleep I realized a few things:
1- Three of my teeth seem to have melted.
2- I now have cramps in the bottoms of my feet and my right butt cheek (not the left, just the right).
3- Poop, pee, and vomit when all mixed together, do not smell as bad as you might think.
4- My left eye will not open.
5- My right eye will not close.
6- The lawnmower runs like a spotted ape now. Seriously! I think our little session cleared out some carbon fouling or something, because it was better than new after that.
7- My testicles are still smaller than average yet they are almost a foot long.
8- I can turn on the TV in the game room by farting while thinking of the number 4 (still don't understand
this???).
That day changed my life. I now have a newfound respect for things.. I appreciate the little things more, and now I always triple check to make sure the fence is unplugged before I mow.
The good news, is that if a burglar does try to come over the fence, I can clearly visualize what my security system will do to him, and THAT gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling all over, which also reminds me to triple check before I mow.

Having never been in a situation like that thankfully, I found it very amuzing...LMAO....
I do know what it is like to be electricuted though, through an electrical fault in a house hold light fitting, that is why I will never change a light bulb again.

I think somebody got a little carried away, a 26 mile charger really isn't all that much.

I know this story might get old to some of the folks here, but it's still hilarious to me. I've got a Gallagher M800 on a small farm up the road, only got 30 acres or so fenced in but I wanted a hot box on it as the place is on a busy road. Wife was up there checking cows one day and leaned over to pick up a bucket of grain when she hit her forehead on the gate loop wire sticking out. Said she actually saw stars. When she got home and was telling me about it, I noticed she had a black mark on her forehead where the wire hit her, still get tickled thinking about it.

When I was a kid, some of the neighbor kids dared me to spit on Dad's electric fence. All was well and good until I got too close and had one of those spitwads with a long tail attached. Felt like it was going to rattle the teeth out of my head.

I know a guy that was just plain ornery as a kid. He lived to tear things up and to be a dare DEVIL. (Yes, that is all caps on DEVIL.)

Well, he decided he was going to pick on the barn cat one day, so he picked it up and touched it to the hot wire. Things went down hill from there...

He learned that he was part of the "circuit". You can imagine what happened :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tommy Ruyle":28stee2a said:
I know a guy that was just plain ornery as a kid. He lived to tear things up and to be a dare DEVIL. (Yes, that is all caps on DEVIL.)

Well, he decided he was going to pick on the barn cat one day, so he picked it up and touched it to the hot wire. Things went down hill from there...

He learned that he was part of the "circuit". You can imagine what happened :lol: :lol: :lol:
A wild cat how many stitches did he need after that? brave or stupid boy.

cfpinz":32xuq3vc said:
I think somebody got a little carried away, a 26 mile charger really isn't all that much.

I know this story might get old to some of the folks here, but it's still hilarious to me. I've got a Gallagher M800 on a small farm up the road, only got 30 acres or so fenced in but I wanted a hot box on it as the place is on a busy road. Wife was up there checking cows one day and leaned over to pick up a bucket of grain when she hit her forehead on the gate loop wire sticking out. Said she actually saw stars. When she got home and was telling me about it, I noticed she had a black mark on her forehead where the wire hit her, still get tickled thinking about it.

When I was a kid, some of the neighbor kids dared me to spit on Dad's electric fence. All was well and good until I got too close and had one of those spitwads with a long tail attached. Felt like it was going to rattle the teeth out of my head.

We have electric fencing everywhere around here, I guess that is mostly the result of having a master electrician for a father. Anyways I was out checking cattle one day and a major down pour started; I decided to take a short cut home and go over a fence that was hot. The middle wire was hot the other 4 not, so I grab the top one and started to leap over, forgetting that my pant legs and runners were sopping wet. I got the jolt of my life without even touching the hot wire. I really thought I was going to die or my heart was going to explode, and had a really hard time moving so I was stuck there straddling this stupid fence for what seemed like an eternity getting zapped. I think my guardian angel finally helped me get over . No wonder cattle respect a hot fence ... Now if it is raining and I am wet I go the long way around. :roll:

well since we're in the E-FENCE mishaps telling mode.....

I was trimming around my horse corral which is 3 strands of smooth wire and 1 hot, with a gas powered weed whacker and bent down to grab some twine that was tangled in the weeds below the wires.

well........... you guessed it! My forehead hit the hot wire (must not have been paying attention eh?) and it felt like I had been kicked in the head!! Next thing I remember is laying on my back flat on the ground and looking around for the horse that SURELY had gotten me!! They were all standing about 20 feet away from me with their ears perked up looking innocent as all get-out! I got up and went into the house to see if I had a hoof mark on my forehead and I had a MARK all right! but it was a long thin red one from side to side!! It was only THEN that I figured out I had leaned on top of the hot wire with my dang face!!!! :oops: :roll: :lol2: :lol2:

here is my story
It happened when I was about 10 or 11 we were coon hunting and I had to pee as we were crossing a field next to a fence I stopped next to a fence post and started doing my business well it happened to be a fence for a hog lot and it had an electric wire along the bottom to keep the hogs from rooting under
When you are peeing on a hotwire you cannot quit peeing and you can move off of it either I just kinda started screaming whimpering until dad figgered out what was wrong and jerked me away from the wire

To this day I cannot stand ANY kind of electrical shock it makes my joints hurt

ok go ahead have a good laugh

Angus Cowman":2clakyk2 said:
here is my story
It happened when I was about 10 or 11 we were coon hunting and I had to pee as we were crossing a field next to a fence I stopped next to a fence post and started doing my business well it happened to be a fence for a hog lot and it had an electric wire along the bottom to keep the hogs from rooting under
When you are peeing on a hotwire you cannot quit peeing and you can move off of it either I just kinda started screaming whimpering until dad figgered out what was wrong and jerked me away from the wire

Been there done it. At Wilsons goat dairy near Grain Valley Mo. Back in 1957. Let's just say I am a very careful urinator to this day. I will stomp around like a dog making sure it is safe. :shock:

3waycross":2y1u3wum said:
Angus Cowman":2y1u3wum said:
here is my story

Been there done it. At Wilsons goat dairy near Grain Valley Mo. Back in 1957. Let's just say I am a very careful urinator to this day. I will stomp around like a dog making sure it is safe. :shock:
I hardly ever pee by a fence post or a fence since then I try to make sure I am in the open

I just knew it was a matter of time til somebody owned up to whizzing on an electric fence, but I figured it would be angrie or MistyMoonlighter!

cfpinz":1oyk63ec said:
I just knew it was a matter of time til somebody owned up to whizzing on an electric fence, but I figured it would be angrie or MistyMoonlighter!
It's a harder thing for a woman to do, as you would sit on the fence first, and that jult up your bum you'd soon move.

Who would like to hear about Moonlites episode with the hot wire? Its a good one. :nod:

cfpinz":1h5y6xng said:

curtis":1h5y6xng said:
Who would like to hear about Moonlites episode with the hot wire? Its a good one. :nod:

Angus Cowman":1h5y6xng said:
Lets hear it Curtis dirt on MM is always good

You fellas done snickering yet? :roll:

MistyMorning":1kea8ec5 said:
You fellas done snickering yet? :roll:

You might as well fess up. If not, I'll just have to make up something good...

What'd you do to angrie? I heard she's not feeling well, did you find her something to eat in the crack of the seat in your truck? Or was it the lutefisk?

cfpinz":2zmrgodq said:
You might as well fess up. If not, I'll just have to make up something good...

Well we all know you are good at that! Just have to ask that pretty long suffering wife of yours about all the stories you tell on here about her. :nod:

What'd you do to angrie? I heard she's not feeling well, did you find her something to eat in the crack of the seat in your truck? Or was it the lutefisk?

I heard it was the lutefisk dinner fund raiser down at the Lutheran church, they didn't age it long enough :nod: