electric fence charger

Help Support CattleToday:

spoon

Reaction score
Well since the search won't work I'll just ask my question. I'm looking to fence in a 25 acre field into 3 equal parts all with electric fence for now. I was thinking 2 wires around the perimiter with a single wire between fields. I want a charger that is plenty big enough to do the job and then some so would a 6 joule charger be about large enough?

If Gallagher still makes the model 600 that's what I'd look at, or a 1000 if you really want to light something up. I've got an 800 and am tickled with it, left a black mark on my wife's forehead but I don't think they make that one anymore. I've got one of those black plastic box ones here around the house, it's nowhere near the box that gallagher is. But it did knock me off my feet Saturday.

spoon":3doka8kc said:
Well since the search won't work I'll just ask my question. I'm looking to fence in a 25 acre field into 3 equal parts all with electric fence for now. I was thinking 2 wires around the perimiter with a single wire between fields. I want a charger that is plenty big enough to do the job and then some so would a 6 joule charger be about large enough?
check these guys out they will give you all the info you need and will hook you up with the best chargers on the market for the best price
www.powerflexfence.com

I do what you are doing in several locations. Ghallager are excellent chargers, I have the MX 1000 which is a 10 Joule stored, and on one farm I have the MX 1500 that makes ya s#@ yourself if ya touch it. Angus Cowman forwarded me information on Powerflex and I ordered a 3 output Joule Stafix for $175 that is a battery and or 110 unit that I used on a 20 acre piece with 3 strands high tensile and some poly cross fence and still would get 7000 volts.

cfpinz":cotyqf07 said:
I've got one of those black plastic box ones here around the house, it's nowhere near the box that gallagher is. But it did knock me off my feet Saturday.

You gotta quit peeing on the fence

dun":2g0rnxx9 said:
cfpinz":2g0rnxx9 said:
I've got one of those black plastic box ones here around the house, it's nowhere near the box that gallagher is. But it did knock me off my feet Saturday.

You gotta quit peeing on the fence

When ya gotta go, ya gotta go...

Are you plugging in to the power grid or running a battery?

We use a bunch of them.

Gallagher has one that we use now and then - but in my opinion they are high priced - name is not always the way to go.

The cheaper one that has given us good service is a 100 miler made by Red Snapper - I think we paid a couple hundred for it - it runs the whole farm and has excellent brush penetration.

There are a couple of battery powered jobs that we use for temporary fencing - they do about 20 miles each and have good brush penetration - we probably paid about 40 bucks each for them - the batteries we use are the big dozer batteries and they run for about 10 days before they need a charge - but if you want to go smaller on batteries get the marine / RV batteries - they are designed to be run down and recharged on a regular basis - car batteries do not like this and will only last a couple of seasons. You can rig up a solar charger if you like - we do not bother any more because we check the fences daily when we run electric wire and batteries.

Winter battery storage - we set them on some old boards and trickle charge them about once every two to three months - makes them last for years.

Almost all the modern systems will do what you want - just buy more power than you think you need - you will be surprised at how much more you will want once you get started.

Regards

Bez+

nothing against gallagher
they are good chargers
but if you want one just as good and less money try a speedrite.
i've seen all the test that have been done on the two brands and speedrite was cheaper per joule and
i believe they are as durable.
if your in texas or oklahoma i can help you with your purchase
if in another state, i can give you a number to call.

One consideration of brand to buy is the local availability of repair parts and that they are pluggable components.
If you have elctrical storms even with a lightning choke and a surge suppressor you still run the chance of it needing repair at some point.

The guy in my area that used to carry Speedrite and Stafix now carrys Gallahger because he said the service from field reps for parts is really bad on Speedrite and Stafix. He said years ago Gallahger was the same way and they learned their lesson. Seems like all the quality brand dealers in my state are Gallahger. My dealer fixes my chargers the same day I send them in.

dun":1c860egk said:
One consideration of brand to buy is the local availability of repair parts and that they are pluggable components.
If you have elctrical storms even with a lightning choke and a surge suppressor you still run the chance of it needing repair at some point.

i had a customer that was having lots of lightning trouble with his chargers and asked me for a solution.
i called the mfg and talked to a service tech and explained the lightning situation
and i asked if there were lightning deverters or something we could put on the fence or electircal plug.
he said the only thing i can tell you is when lightning hits and you have a million volts coming down the line is RUN !!!

dun":1iqegf71 said:

Dun, this reminds me to say "thank you" for the advice you gave me a year or two ago about lightning chokes.

Yes, nothing is likely to help on a direct hit by lightning near the charger. However I fried two Gallagher M600 chargers in the past two years, one from a lightning surge coming in on the fence, another where lightning hit a power pole on the road and sent a spike in the 120v line. (This spike also fried one side of the service to my shed and hot water heater etc.) The Gallagher is supposed to have "internal lightning protection" but it did not seem to help much.

Since I was within the original 2-yr warranty they replaced both of them at no charge. I feel that is worth a bit more on the initial price.

At your suggestion after the second one fried I installed several of the fairly low cost Premier lightning chokes and the Premier suggested 120v line suppressor. I think these will stop most lightning caused charger damage from now on. Part of my electric fence line runs along a ridge top in a thunderstorm &lightning prone area so I'll probably put the chokes to the test.

In addition to the cost ( I doubt even Gallagher will replace mine again - they are probably happy the 2 yr warranty has run out!), there is the issue of a non-functional fence for a time since I am not there full time.

So "thank you" for the choke and suppressor advice.

cross_7":l1f504bb said:
dun":l1f504bb said:

i had a customer that was having lots of lightning trouble with his chargers and asked me for a solution.
i called the mfg and talked to a service tech and explained the lightning situation
and i asked if there were lightning deverters or something we could put on the fence or electircal plug.
he said the only thing i can tell you is when lightning hits and you have a million volts coming down the line is RUN !!!
If your ground is connected to a neutral wire on the fence then your damage will be alot less and easier to fix.

Latest posts