Electric fence and snakes

Help Support CattleToday:

WHOA! That second snake was pretty darn big!

Funny this topic came up, yesterday my kids found a snake by our pool by the birdhouse, it was orange and white, maybe a copperhead, but I thought I read somewhere that there was a snake that looked like a copperhead but wasn't, anyways, of course I thought it cool, my kids were curious but afraid, and before we could do think about it too long it slithered off somewhere.

GMN

that black snake gave me the shivers! I hope you killed the damn thing. We were drivin to check up on cattle and saw a snake sun bathin in the path. Me and my cousin jumped out but it slithered in the creek so we grabbed the pitch fork andjust jabbed till we hit it. Turned out to be a water moccassin(spelling?). I hate snakes.

GMN":2652wsrh said:

Funny this topic came up, yesterday my kids found a snake by our pool by the birdhouse, it was orange and white, maybe a copperhead, but I thought I read somewhere that there was a snake that looked like a copperhead but wasn't, anyways, of course I thought it cool, my kids were curious but afraid, and before we could do think about it too long it slithered off somewhere.

GMN

A hog nosed snake is marked very similar to a copperhead. The easiest way to tell is if it trys to get away it's usually a copperhead, if it comes towards you it's a hog nosed. Cpperheads coloration is always brighter, hog nosed is kind of flat colored.
http://mdc4.mdc.mo.gov/Documents/169.pdf

dun":3gbqpura said:
GMN":3gbqpura said:

GMN

A hog nosed snake is marked very similar to a copperhead. The easiest way to tell is if it trys to get away it's usually a copperhead, if it comes towards you it's a hog nosed. Cpperheads coloration is always brighter, hog nosed is kind of flat colored.
http://mdc4.mdc.mo.gov/Documents/169.pdf

That snake was a red milk snake, looked it up under Mo snakes on the web. Kind of pretty actually.

GMN

The picture that was posted was a black rat snake. Probably the best friend you have on your farm. They are voracious rodent eaters. Whenever I see one crossing the road I stop and pick it up and let it loose in my barn. I think a bird or two is a small price to pay to keep these guys around. Oh, and they are the only arboreal (climbing) snake in the U.S. so they will climb poles.

nap":2ueplwsc said:
The picture that was posted was a black rat snake. Probably the best friend you have on your farm. They are voracious rodent eaters. Whenever I see one crossing the road I stop and pick it up and let it loose in my barn. I think a bird or two is a small price to pay to keep these guys around. Oh, and they are the only arboreal (climbing) snake in the U.S. so they will climb poles.
I,m with you.
Maybe Nowland Farms could get one big enough to eat the cats in his barn and get rid of the flea problem along with them. ;-)

Latest posts