Electric branding irons

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good":2rho1pmf said:
LongLopeSlowHorse":2rho1pmf said:
Black and Good":2rho1pmf said:
I just recently started branding. It's been a learning process. But, the electric brander I bought was built by Husky Branding Irons. http://www.huskybrandingirons.com They shipped it within 24 hours. Very nice helpful people. One thing I learned the hard way is that if you use a gas powered generator it needs to be at least 3000 watt. I started with my little quiet 1000 watt and it wouldn't pull it at all. Try it on card board first. Another piece of advise I'd give you is if you know someone who has branded a lot have them help you get started watching it done sure helps. I was also told that if you soak the branded spot with #1 kerosene after you've branded that it makes a cleaner more fast healing brand. Here's some pics of my first attempt. You can see where it moved a bit on me. And where I should have applied a little more pressure to the bottom. Hope this helps. Good luck. B&G

Blotcher.

Define your meaning???

It looks nicely done on the animal. But--almost a 'hair brand'--I like them 'buckskin' colored for best brands. The closed lower lazy p--the leg on that 'R'--that whole area can give your trouble by 'blotching'

to me, the brand is too 'busy' and too 'congested'--and also kinda complicated.

we run in big country, old outfits, brands are important. Simple and no closed characters are best. Elaborate are mostly something someone drew up cause they thought it'd look cute on their 'townie gate'

mine is 7 and bar. another local is a T- another is an L F--but the 'LF ' brand is formed just using the F and putting bottem portion of L on the F--backwards. North of here is the 4T--(the 4 is put on kinda square--open on top--you want to always avoid tight angles--and closed symbols, if possible----commonly refferred to as the "forty". See how simple, easy to read and remember these are? And that all can be put on with just a bar?

I'm not attacking your brand. I will bet you---in yrs to come, if you use it much-----you'll say 'that guy makes more sense than I thought he did...."

Thanks for taking the time to explain. I can already see what you mean. I drew up this idea without ever branding before myself. I'm hoping I can take my time and make it work. I won't ever be branding more than 10 to 20 at one time. Thanks again. B&G

The problem is that with characters that are too close together the scaring blends together leaving one big scar (a blotch). My brand is simply an N over a bar. The N has rounded corners. It is a good inch between the bottom of the N and the bar. But sometimes the bottom of the N blotches down to meet the bar.

Lotsa brands in Montana.

Registration says what counties they run in, where at for horses and cattle (location on animal)

Simple short ones like I mentioned are hard to get. BUT--a few yrs ago, they changed brands to expiring on the same 10yr and raised fees. Lots were dropped. And they put out a book on available brands. Hired man across the road wandered in, read the book, and took -X- on ribs.

Maybe see what's available in your state? I've acquired a neat hip one---for when they start paying us to keep hide clean---and let an old one==pain in the butt blotcher--go.

I do have a stamp brand---3 characters together---but if calf squirms and you gotta pull off, it's hard to get him---and his hide---in exact same position to resume.

HOT irons work best! Quicker and easier on the calf, better brand. Cherry red. If electric and good crew, have at least 2 and keep cords short. Brush often.

If making them, on any closed or sharp angles---corners don't have to touch. Grind 'em out, stop short with material, etc.

I hate branding! So, I try to make it as quick, efficient and as little pain and uproar as possible.

I'm a brand novice although I do a few each yr. I brand heifers I've raised and keep as replacements. My brand is my avatar. I suggest you be familiar with how long it takes to make a perfect brand and do not try to do it alone.

Finally decided on a brand
~
V
The top is uppose to be a lazy s just couldn't figure out how to type it. My state regulations say it has to be at least 3 inches tall, it will be used on mature cows in the beginning and then just heifers after everything is caught up. What size of a brand would you recommend I was thinking at least 4 or 5 inches tall. It's gonna be on right hip unless you think other location would be better. Thanks

Ky cowboy":e6nrta2h said:
~
V
The top is uppose to be a lazy s just couldn't figure out how to type it. My state regulations say it has to be at least 3 inches tall, it will be used on mature cows in the beginning and then just heifers after everything is caught up. What size of a brand would you recommend I was thinking at least 4 or 5 inches tall. It's gonna be on right hip unless you think other location would be better. Thanks

4" is big enough. You in the new brand book that was recently printed?

Bigfoot":2rd7iq5u said:
Ky cowboy":2rd7iq5u said:
~
V

4" is big enough. You in the new brand book that was recently printed?

No I just sent it in. I'm not going to order my brand till it's approved.

Ky cowboy":1vm5xgza said:
~
V
I have one that is 5". It's too big to use on anything other than mature cattle. If your going to brand calves I would stay closer to 3" at most.

Latest posts