Electric area fences

Help Support CattleToday:

Just Curious

Reaction score
Anyone tried one of those electric area fences for dogs??? Our hounds have been traveling a bit lately and we were looking at these...
It suggests that you bury the wire three inches into the soil... Seems like a lot of work when I would think that you should be able to just attach it to a fence like a hotwire.... I would think twelve inches off of the ground would work just fine... Extra wire is also pretty spendy... I would also think that regular old hotwire wire would work as long as one didn't try to bury it!
Any thoughts or comments?

Just Curious":1evo005y said:
Anyone tried one of those electric area fences for dogs??? Our hounds have been traveling a bit lately and we were looking at these...
It suggests that you bury the wire three inches into the soil... Seems like a lot of work when I would think that you should be able to just attach it to a fence like a hotwire.... I would think twelve inches off of the ground would work just fine... Extra wire is also pretty spendy... I would also think that regular old hotwire wire would work as long as one didn't try to bury it!

I believe I will stay with my tried and true methods. What do you suppose happens when something excites the dog enough that he charges through the hot wire, and finds himself on the other side with no way to get back?

Yes family in the city have and it does work.Although the bigger the area the more there is to do.If it means saving your pets then I would do what ever it takes.

msscamp":1xcdyr5x said:
Just Curious":1xcdyr5x said:

I believe I will stay with my tried and true methods. What do you suppose happens when something excites the dog enough that he charges through the hot wire, and finds himself on the other side with no way to get back?

MS I would not try an EF either to keep a dog in '; but it does work in some situations.Although when the drunk neighbor runs over your beloved dog on your front lawn all the fences in the world will not do a good of help.Lost my best dog that way I wish that I had an EF and it would have got them before it got my dog.

msscamp":3mh6e5q9 said:
Just Curious":3mh6e5q9 said:

I could see that happening.... But what is your tried and true approach???

We have that same problem with our Walker Hound puppy. Hes slowly getting better about listening when called. If hes not listening we just have to hop on the 4 wheeler and he comes running to chase it. How old is your dog? Ive heard that hounds can be a pain with running off following their nose up until about 2 years. Thats about when they start to figure out what their chasing and that there not chasing anything great.

i dont have that problem... when my chocolate lab runs off, i just yell his name, and he comes right back to me. i never really have had problems with him not coming to me. i guess dogs are different that way

The first thing to do is neuter or spay the dogs, works wonders in keeping them from running. I don't know about underground wire, I have doubts, :roll: But my dogs on above ground EW have no trouble figuring it out, it's over the top or underneath. :shock:

Well the first problem we have is that we have three dogs... There's an old saying... If you have one dog, then you have a dog. If you have two dogs, then you half of a dog. And if you have three dogs, you don't have a dog at all...
Ours aren't actually hounds... They are Brittany's. Great bird dogs and they can go forever... I will take them with me when I run ultra-marathons... 30, 50, 100 mile races. They finish up a lot better than I do! But that's another story.
We let them out one at a time, but no more than two... If all three of them are out at the same time, then they are gone for the whole day!
They left three weekends ago about 10 a.m. and did not return until 3 a.m. the next morning.
We usually keep them kenneled or in the house... I'm wondering if we just let them loose and left them outside fulltime if that would help with their urge to roam... We have already spayed and nuetered them... But they love to run!
About two month ago, one of them was found about three miles from the house... Would she have come back on her own? Probably... But that's still outside of our property lines and unacceptable...

i know a family who has just one of those little mini dogs and they put in one of those underground wires and it works great for them. but i have a neighbor who raises vizulas and it didnt work for them. so my guess is that it dont work for big dogs.

the electric fences do work but you have to put in the time to train your dog
I don't know enough about them to know if they need to be underground to work correctly but I know they put out a signal that is then transmitted to the dog's collar

we often have 5 or 6 dogs (lab, terrier, coonhound) running loose during the day - they will go on their "rounds" and check everything out but they seem to stay in their "yard" (40 acres)
but - I am VERY insistent when I am with them that they stay on their side of the fence. Plus my 2 labs used to live in town with a fence that was their border. So they know what stay in the yard means. It took some time for my dogs to get running and running out of their systems but following along beside the truck as we drive in the pastures is really good for burning off excess energy. All of the dogs are confined at night - (too many temptations)

I know that Brittany's are very high energy dogs - perhaps your dogs just need lots more exercise.

We have one and it works great! Take the time to train them to know where it is and they'll learn very quickly where and where not to go.

I generally put out flags or some other marker along the perimeter line, then put the dog on a leash and walk them along. I get them close enough to hear the warning sound. For one of my dogs, that was enough; she's never crossed (had a heck of a time even getting her off the porch for a while!). Once they know where it is, I deliberately try to walk them across the line so they'll feel it. If they move back into the yard the right direction, they get praise and a treat. My Corgie-Heeler mix figured out she could jump over if she wanted but also learned that in order to eat she had to come back over it! It only happened twice before she stopped leaving at all. Not bad, considering she's just itching to run to the next property over and herd their cattle!

I've seen some dogs take two weeks of twice-daily training to finally get it. Like I said, it works for us and only took two or three days, but every dog (and owner) is different! Ours is under ground only about 4 to 6 inches in some areas. One area is completely exposed across a concrete slab and just protected with some silicon. Haven't had a problem yet.

Oh yeah, once they know where the fence boundary is, I take the flags down.

Our main reason for putting up dog fence around the back yard is to keep the pew kittys from visiting.

dun

Just Curious":31o5x9j0 said:
dun":31o5x9j0 said:
Our main reason for putting up dog fence around the back yard is to keep the pew kittys from visiting.

dun
How do you get them little electronic collars on 'em?

That's the point, we use real actual fence instead of "virtual" fence.

dun

I have 2 redbone coonhounds, both are trained to my underground fence. Trained, you see where i wrote that? Just because you have the fence in doesnt mean they dont need training. It takes a month, atleast, to properly train them. And 2-3 times a day. BUT they work great.

We have Aussies and it worked well for a while. Because it's not a physical barrier, it doesn't keep anything out - it's basically electric fence for dogs. Just like electric fence, you better have a physical barrier backing it up. So if your neighbor lets her dogs run wild :mad: and your dogs see them repeatedly crossing the line, they get the idea they can do it too. Once they've crossed and realize it doesn't kill them, the game is up. However, if you already have fence up and want them to stop digging out it will work great.

We started by burying it per the manufacturer's instructions. That works fine until it breaks (from horses stomping on it, the neighbor driving her RV across it :mad: , etc.). Finding that break is a HUGE pain in the tail. I finally zip tied it to the existing fence a foot or so off the ground wherever possible and had no more problems. You do need to use insulated wire, not just bare hot wire, but it is small diameter stuff (14 or 16 gauge I think) and isn't that expensive.