??? Elec. Fencer Recommendation ???

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
We are re-doing the hot wire here, after the escape of a calf onto the RR tracks a few weeks ago. I want to ditch several small fencers and get one or two really good hot ones. Need to run at least 4,500 feet if single strand, and prefer to go with 2 strands. That would just be along the the pastures most-escapable towards the RR tracks. We use 14 ga. wire -- not because the cattle won't respect it, but we also deal w/ deer and elk that need a really good zap to be reminded.

What's your favorite, given that info? Thx!

I've got a Gallagher M1000 and a Parmak Mark II? 110 volt. Both good fencers. If I was to do it over again, I would buy a Speedrite 6000i and get the remote control.

Aaron":oo99md45 said:
I've got a Gallagher M1000 and a Parmak Mark II? 110 volt. Both good fencers. If I was to do it over again, I would buy a Speedrite 6000i and get the remote control.

The 6000i is high for what it cost with remote I'd buy the 6000 and go unplug it when I need to
I'm a cheapskate and the speedrite chargers are good but I'd buy the zareba a100li
We have more of those come back needing repair than any other but we have more of those out than any other also

I think in your part of the world moisture getting in the charger will be your biggest issue

Edit
Speedrite 6000(not the I, no remote) 345.00
A powerful mid-range 110V/12V energizer ideal for large to medium sized farms. Suitable for the control of all types of animals. Charges up to 60 miles (240 acres) with a max output of 6.0 J

Zareba A100li 180.00
Charges up to 100 miles of line with heavy wet weed conditions. 115 Volt, 60 cycle pulsed DC output with 1-second intervals. 10.9 stored joules of power, 6 joule output at 75 ohms. Includes Storm Guard lightning protection. Digital timing. Fuseless design. Fencer lamp flashes when operating. Vented weather-resistant nonconductive cabinet

Even with the moisture resistant cabinet I think you could have a problem
I'd sure try and find a place out of the weather or put it in something with silica gel packs

Kathie in Thorp":1vq1eg2w said:
Cross_7, if we were on the WEST side of Washington mountains, I'd worry about moisture. Here, we worry about wildfires. Does that change your recommendation?

Whatever I bought I'd make dang sure there was a warranty repair station local that could get it fixed in a hurry for when it quits and it will they all do
Some mfg don't have repair stations in all areas so that would be number 1 for me then I'd find a charger that suited my needs

I know the fire drill and feel fortunate not to have ever had one on my place but it was way too close for comfort
I hope y'all get some relief soon til then stay safe

cross_7":15i8uh1d said:
Aaron":15i8uh1d said:

The 6000i is high for what it cost with remote I'd buy the 6000 and go unplug it when I need to
I'm a cheapskate and the speedrite chargers are good but I'd buy the zareba a100li
We have more of those come back needing repair than any other but we have more of those out than any other also

I think in your part of the world moisture getting in the charger will be your biggest issue

Edit
Speedrite 6000(not the I, no remote) 345.00
A powerful mid-range 110V/12V energizer ideal for large to medium sized farms. Suitable for the control of all types of animals. Charges up to 60 miles (240 acres) with a max output of 6.0 J

Zareba A100li 180.00
Charges up to 100 miles of line with heavy wet weed conditions. 115 Volt, 60 cycle pulsed DC output with 1-second intervals. 10.9 stored joules of power, 6 joule output at 75 ohms. Includes Storm Guard lightning protection. Digital timing. Fuseless design. Fencer lamp flashes when operating. Vented weather-resistant nonconductive cabinet

Even with the moisture resistant cabinet I think you could have a problem
I'd sure try and find a place out of the weather or put it in something with silica gel packs

I should add that I buy a lot of my farm stuff, including fencers, online. I saw a 6000i on Ebay for a little less than $500.00. I don't even want to know what dealer price on that stuff is. If you shop around online, you will find even better deals. I bought my M1000 for $225 on Ebay and my local dealer wants over $600 for the same fencer.

Have had the Zareba that Cross mentioned for about 8 years and still working fine. Make sure you have a good surge protector in the incoming ac outlet and a good lightning choke on your fence. Previous fencer was fried by lightning from the ac side along with some other electrical appliances. All had surge protectors but apparently too much surge. FWIW have about 4 miles of fence on this fencer and it is plenty hot unless there is a direct short to something well grounded. Be sure you have a minimum of 3 ground rods at least 6 ft long for the dry times of the year.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Kathie, when I started out I had two fencers, both very hot, go by Joule rating. But I ended up going the opposite way I added more chargers, I now have four. The reason is when ever I had a short or down fence I had to walk or ride the whole fence line until I found it. For me it just made life easier to check four different sections of fence and far less fence to walk to find a short.

As far a deer go they are pretty good about jumping over, pretty good not perfect, especially since their fawns are getting older and more out going.

Wet side elk :mad: :mad: :mad: , we've had a pretty good size herd coming and going off our property the last week or so. Those SOB's could care less about jumping a fence, been fixing fence on a daily basis. They're making me mad, two nights ago the elk herd tore up three fences, hot wire all over the pastures, missing insulators and cattle all over the place and in the BLM land next door. :mad: Another reason I'm happy to have four chargers, after gathering cattle all morning I moved them to fresh pasture up by the house and will leave the lower stuff to the elk until they move on. Which they will, I've seen a 3 pt bull go through MY three strand barb like it wasn't there, until they do i'm not fixing those fences again. I'm sorry for the rant, you mention elk and they have been a real pita lately.

I have good luck with my Zabera. It is over 12 years old, 6 joule 100 mile box I think.

Zabera chargers aren't what they used to be. I bought the warranty at Tractor Supply and trade the charger in about every 6 months. They all seem to quit the same way. Charger works good and then one day out of the blue its dead. Fence is set up good and correct but the circuit board inside dies and you get now power. I definely will be buying different charger soon. Probably a Parmak from what I've read through the year on this site.

Alan, your theory about several fencers makes sense. We don't have elk in here often (save for some bachelor bulls every winter, that are usually happy to cross RR tracks at the vehicle crossing), but when we do, it can be 100 head trecking from the open ground N. of us, and across our place to hay fields S. And that path takes them over the RR fence line every trip. Cross_7, thanks for all your info, and I'll check everything suggested. Ya'll are my steady source of good info!

Ive had lots of experience with gallagher,speedrite,stafix, and parmark own all of them we have 5 different 110v chargers and 3 solars going at a time and with my job i get to go to farm shows all over the country, and with that being said all of the chargers we have bought in the last 7yrs have been Cyclops by taylor fence, they are by far the stoutest and most economical.

Latest posts