Eleanor (Profitability from Jersey cows)

Help Support CattleToday:

He is a skinny little guy BUT I don't know squat about Jerseys and maybe that's normal.
He should be better for sure. Did i mention his underbite??
I think this is just what happens when they calve with 2 calves sucking on the cow.
He looks real bad in this picture. He has gotten better with some pour on and now that he is eating feed too. I probly should've gave him away. But perhaps having his mama is what kept him alive too!!

Edited to add.
i know i know!! That pic is 2 months old. There's a reason I didn't post it before. Like I said he HAS come along a little better. The prior pics are newer.
20230724_065804.jpg

Last edited:
Did you ever sell that Jersey calf? If so, what did he bring?
No. Her born calf is still on her.
The other one I gave 110 bucks for is at my neighbors on feed. He probly go 250lbs or so?

Idk what I'm gonna do with him. Keep him at the neighbors for a year or 18 months maybe. 😆

Eleanor's little May 18th born steer sold today.
He weighed a WHOPPING 100lbs flat.
He brought 150 bucks. More than I was expecting, to be sure.

And sadly, Eleanor's story ends here guys n gals.
She sold today as well. Brought 448 dollars.
Her being unknowingly bred really messed things up. I just could NOT get any condition back on her after that fiasco. My opinion is, what needed done was to pull all calves off of her and let her recuperate. Well, that makes me no money!
And I'm not interested in keeping her around that long to re-breed and wait for a fresh lactation.

It's been a FUN project guys. Enjoyable and profitable for me up until the fiasco. A lot was learned. I hope for everyone involved it was educational at least. It CAN be done. Learn from my mistakes. Go buy a cow!!

Latest posts