Elastrating calves

Help Support CattleToday:

dmartin3370

Reaction score
When is the best time to elastrate calves. First day when they're born, couple weeks later, or when you wean them?

Angus Cowman":t13uoobw said:
Whichever you prefer
ask 50 people on here and you will get 50 answers

Probably more as some people give two different answers for the same question... :lol2:

I agree though what ever suits your operation I do mine as soon as I can count to two on them .

i do mine within the first couple of days. easier in me and them count to two release band and count two again.

Counting to two both before and after releasing the band is the most important part. If you aren't sure on the second count, don't hesitate to cut the band and start over.

We band within 1-2 days when they are easy to handle and there's no need for a tetanus shot, but that's just what works for us. Be sure to get the right size tools for the age you choose.

I agree that it is easier to band them within the first week for handling purposes. I have however not banded my three bulls calves born this spring due to the fact I banded one last year that would have made an excellent bull for my operation. So, I have decided to wait until they get older. But if you are for sure your not going to use them , then by all means do it as early as possible.

Thanks for your opinions. I was usually banding em in the first day. Just heard from a friend thats no good, so I was just curious what people would say on this forum. Never had problems so I'll just keep on doing as I'm used to.

dmartin3370":39bj5t04 said:
When is the best time to elastrate calves. First day when they're born, couple weeks later, or when you wean them?

That is completely up to you.

Wisteria Farms":nnnaprm0 said:
OK..I'm going to admit ignorance here...why count to two? We've done them ...just opened it to fit over both jewels and let go...

What number constitutes "both"?

Latest posts