El Nino may bring good news...

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
As a amateur student of meteorology I have been reading about the El Nino that is currently developing...

This forecaster is predicting the El Nino to be stronger than normal- and seeing a similarity in pattern to the 1956- 1958 era...
Which if it follows that moisture pattern means good news for much of the country- especially California...

Not sure if I like his last sentence:
We'll see what happens, but at the very least I expect April and May to be a lot wilder than March…

http://www.kktv.com/blogs/talkweather/E ... 82571.html

I hope the moisture goes to California and points south. They need it and I sure don't.

It rained again yesterday and is suppose to all weekend. Do you know what follows two days of heavy rain in Western Washington?

Monday

zlPc3Z4WnwUOvyUpDHPyu2OjBR5yQDuw-Y8UXz_bql0xJ2eVQVc8ySu1gwKOtn24LgxOhFXGP1cX4eEFpLo9KOM_s_7vYeXLQH1xJB2JsyKcc_f50fUHEX_cX_TfRA

greybeard":zn7mwlkg said:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/zlPc3Z4WnwUOvyUpDHPyu2OjBR5yQDuw-
Y8UXz_bql0xJ2eVQVc8ySu1gwKOtn24LgxOhFXGP1cX4eEFpLo9KOM_s_7vYeXLQH1xJB2JsyKcc_f50fUHEX_cX_TfRA

They had it pretty bad, and I thought 2011/12 were bad.

greybeard said:
zlPc3Z4WnwUOvyUpDHPyu2OjBR5yQDuw-Y8UXz_bql0xJ2eVQVc8ySu1gwKOtn24LgxOhFXGP1cX4eEFpLo9KOM_s_7vYeXLQH1xJB2JsyKcc_f50fUHEX_cX_TfRA
[/quote

I think this map is horse shyt. It's plenty wet here in my part of SE Texas. I couldn't even use my tiller on the garden. I had to break and plant this sucker with a shovel. Needless to say the garden is a hole lot smaller this year!

Easy enough to miss that date, we've seen so darn many drought maps lately. The link had several...
Interesting stuff - I sure hope it's right.

I keep thinking back to a very good science teacher I had in junior high and high school. I remember that anytime the climate of this region came up, he'd always say that western parts of Oklahoma and Texas will get drier over our lifetime's. I wish I knew now what he based that on (that was years before anyone had heard of "global warming"), but if he told us I surely can't recall.

I posted the '56 map because it was the end of that drought cycle. Things started getting wetter in the next couple of years. '56 would equate to 2011-2012 maybe 2013 now , tho for my area, 2011 was the worst--been better each year since and just soggy as heck here today. Got 1.75 inches yester morning in less than 2 hrs.

greybeard":5a833mpf said:
I posted the '56 map because it was the end of that drought cycle. Things started getting wetter in the next couple of years. '56 would equate to 2011-2012 maybe 2013 now , tho for my area, 2011 was the worst--been better each year since and just soggy as heck here today. Got 1.75 inches yester morning in less than 2 hrs.

Softball size hail 2 miles from my house. I barely got diddly for rain. No hail. This rain bypassing me is getting really really old!

DLD":2uehpi04 said:
Easy enough to miss that date, we've seen so darn many drought maps lately. The link had several...

I keep thinking back to a very good science teacher I had in junior high and high school. I remember that anytime the climate of this region came up, he'd always say that western parts of Oklahoma and Texas will get drier over our lifetime's. I wish I knew now what he based that on (that was years before anyone had heard of "global warming"), but if he told us I surely can't recall.

I remember there was an article in the paper 25 years ago that was written by a Texas Tech professor
that said the desert was moving eastward and west Texas was becoming drier and would be as dry as NM was at that time and NM would become as dry as AZ.

Shanghai":8w5tlml4 said:
DLD":8w5tlml4 said:

I remember there was an article in the paper 25 years ago that was written by a Texas Tech professor
that said the desert was moving eastward and west Texas was becoming drier and would be as dry as NM was at that time and NM would become as dry as AZ.

I remember they were also predicting we were going into another Ice age.
They are predicting 5 to 7 inches here today.

Caustic Burno":2h0rkrli said:
I remember they were also predicting we were going into another Ice age.
They are predicting 5 to 7 inches here today.

Plant some rice.

Back to raining here this morning. This time there's no serious storms predicted for my area. Got almost a quarter inch this morning and supposed to hang around for a while.

Shanghai":32c175p5 said:
DLD":32c175p5 said:

Yep, that was what he said too. We got 0.02" today - not much, but I guess every little bit helps.