Eighteen Sixtish Multi Tool

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Was borrowing some lumber from an old barnd and found this neat homemade multi tool. Thought it was kinda neat. It was stuck back between the wall and ther rafter. Rafters are hand hewn so I'm just guessing the date.

IMG_3261.jpg

mnmtranching":25a96sso said:
Good find! I would hang that in my shack.

I was not aware people had shacks up north. I thought that was a southern thing.

Anybody got an idea what the screwdriver end might have been used for? Kinda big for a screwdriver.

Ryder":3lm8ggaq said:
Jogeephus":3lm8ggaq said:
Anybody got an idea what the screwdriver end might have been used for? Kinda big for a screwdriver.
Pry bar?

That is my guess too. Always find a use for a good pry bar.
Also a chisel. Using a second hammer, hit that thing on the opposite end.
Look at that head. That thing has been USED.

hillrancher":2zdbxu4k said:
Looks like a homemade slag or chipping hammer.

Is that for chipping wood and putting in pegs in buildings and such? The house next to the barn I'm tearing down has pegs and such in it. Its old. General May of the CSA used to live in it.

Jogeephus":3oggza7m said:
hillrancher":3oggza7m said:
Looks like a homemade slag or chipping hammer.

Is that for chipping wood and putting in pegs in buildings and such? The house next to the barn I'm tearing down has pegs and such in it. Its old. General May of the CSA used to live in it.

Slag as in welding slag. If the handle was longer I would think it was an old tool for changes tires.

Here is an assumption. Noticing both heads are rounded over, it probably was used on something hard. The slant on one side reminds me of a stone masons hammer for chipping and breaking bricks and stone. From that and the pry-bar looking handle which could be used to pry stones apart or stuck under on to lift while placing a smaller one under (dry stone wall construction). Thus my answer is just that. A stone masons hammer. Second answer and it maybe more correct would be a blacksmiths cross pein hammer.

Just scratching my head on this one and wishing it could talk. I guess it would fit more like a blacksmith's hammer cause we don't have rock here. Eat your heart out you Missouri folks but we honestly don't. If you find a rock its apt to be an arrowhead. Where the indians got the rock to make them I haven't a clue. I thought it could be a pry bar but it just seemed awefully short to do much good. Blacksmiths shop could very well be it cause I've found some other stuff that was rather unique but could be used for pulling hot things out of the fire.

Think about this, 140 years ago if someone had told the man that lost that tool that it would be found in 2009 and a picture taken and posted on something called a computer, powered by something called electricity, sent instantly all over the world and several of us trying to figure out what was probably a common and simple tool the man would not even begin to imagine that. What will be the world in another 140 years

Ain't that the truth. This little hammer thing might end up being in the Smithsonian or something. There are some other things in the barn that have to do with mule farming. Never messed with a mule but barely remember them being at my grand daddy's place. Some of the stuff has got me scratching my head.

Jogeephus":1ujeevlo said:
Ain't that the truth. This little hammer thing might end up being in the Smithsonian or something. There are some other things in the barn that have to do with mule farming. Never messed with a mule but barely remember them being at my grand daddy's place. Some of the stuff has got me scratching my head.
Maybe they used that tool to get the mules attention. That would explain why it's so smashed up.

Could've been a tool used for taking off and putting on hubcaps. Got beat up by somebody cracking walnuts with it.

dun":rslh3xhl said:
Jogeephus":rslh3xhl said:
Maybe they used that tool to get the mules attention. That would explain why it's so smashed up.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Are there caves around there?

It is a spelunker hammer.

Somebody used to be a cave dweller.

Joe have been looking at your tool. We know it was use as a blacksmith tool. I think is a tool to make the square hole in the plow shears or wings ect for the square part of the bold. In those days heat and punch was the way things like that was done. It is swedged on both ends to indicate that kind of use. The counter sink on the hole was done by a bit or heat.

HR, that sounds reasonable cause the top of the hammer is beaten pretty well.

backhoeboogie":204uejwq said:
Are there caves around there?

It is a spelunker hammer.

Somebody used to be a cave dweller.

Only cave I know of is my "man cave". Anything else would require scuba gear.

Latest posts