Eggs ?

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
We are puzzled.
Kathy has some yard chickens and guinea's. The are kept in the chicken house/ pen at nite and let out in the morning's. They have special places to them where they lay their eggs which Kathy collects each day. The guinea's have made a nest in the tall grass behind the chicken house where they have deposited approx. fourty eggs. The guinea hens take turns setting on the eggs during the day with one setting at nite.This morning all the eggs were gone. There was no mess or egg shells to be found. They just vanished during the nite.
We have had opossum's, racoon's and on ocassion a skunk, which always eat on the spot and leave a mess, never just vanished eggs.
I have noticed many squirrels which we have witnessed eating our peaches. So now that I have told this long winded story my question is....Would this egg thief be a SNAKE, and how many eggs can a snake eat at one time?
Any one ever had this problem?

I doubt that a snake can eat that many eggs and not too many snake species that eats eggs in North America, therefore the egg thief is not a snake. I know that raccoons do carrying the eggs before eat them.

white oak snake or 2. I killed one several years ago in my chicken coop that was 6ft long. I have never raised guinea's but there eggs are small arn't they?

M5farm":2r2vb9ja said:
white oak snake or 2. I killed one several years ago in my chicken coop that was 6ft long. I have never raised guinea's but there eggs are small arn't they?
Yes, Guinea eggs are smaller than Chicken eggs.

Coyotes and raccoons would be getting your birds too. My bet is snake. I've seen them look like a pair of pantyhose full of marbles from eating so many eggs

kerley":3hur6qzo said:
M5farm":3hur6qzo said:
Yes, Guinea eggs are smaller than Chicken eggs.
Snakes will clean a nest out. I use golf balls as nest eggs and they will go missing too.

a snake can eat more eggs than you think.when i had chickens id find then in the henhouse eating most all of my eggs.through the years i had chickens 2 or 3 snakes was killed for eating eggs.

Coon, snake, skunks take your pick. I have lost eggs to them all. A live trap and a .22 short works well on this problem.

I bet snake or snakes. This snake was eating over a dozen extra large eggs several times a week. It was close to 5 feet long. It is full of eggs in the pic.

jhq3gp.jpg

chippie":wlheghvy said:
I bet snake or snakes. This snake was eating over a dozen extra large eggs several times a week. It was close to 5 feet long. It is full of eggs in the pic.

jhq3gp.jpg
Hey Chippie,
What kind of snake is this?

Over the years we've had problems with only two varmints eating eggs, dogs and snakes. I have no idea what the real name of the snakes are but old Daddy and Granddad called them chicken snakes. The ones around our place get over 6 feet long and will sure make you ship your pants. They are dark, maybe black, with yellow diamond pattern.

If you suspect snake put some Strychnine in one of the nest eggs (if you can still buy it) or fix a nest egg filled with Tabasco sauce.

It is a chicken or rat snake and it is not dead. It is being held by a hay string loop. It was put in a feed sack and hauled several miles away with two creeks in between so that it wouldn't come back. The only snake that we kill are the cotton mouth moccasins.

(I didn't realize that my phone was set on black/white photo when I took the pic.) stupid phones

Latest posts