Eggs?

Help Support CattleToday:

Santas and Duhram Reds

Reaction score
My chickens are laying more eggs than I can eat. Usually I feed the extras to my dog, cat, etc. Was wondering about adding an egg or two to cattle feed for some show calves or a steer for increased protein. I know it is an animal protein but was wondering if there is any reason not to or if anyone else has done this.

Santas and Duhram Reds":1hrk1po3 said:
My chickens are laying more eggs than I can eat. Usually I feed the extras to my dog, cat, etc. Was wondering about adding an egg or two to cattle feed for some show calves or a steer for increased protein. I know it is an animal protein but was wondering if there is any reason not to or if anyone else has done this.

Occasionally a raw egg may contain salmonella...not often but occasionally. Otherwise I don't see what it would hurt IF you can get them to eat the things. Hardly seems worth the trouble tho. Got any neighbors?? Give them to someone that's hurting.

Sounds like you need to start having chicken dinners until the problem of excess eggs goes away!

Oldtimers used to always give a colt an egg if they didn't get colostrum.... but then 40 years ago you could use bacon grease to cure about any scratch or cut and that stuff they try to pass off as bacon nowadays leaves a lot to be desired.

Santas and Duhram Reds":1u78w4jc said:

It is an established fact that cattle roamed the prairies looking for bird nests to plunder!

Are you one of the "grass fed" guys? :lol:

Latest posts