effects of grass tetany

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We just had a cow go down and the vet thought it was grass tetany. He gave her 2 bottles of i.v., shocked her twice and she got up. We got magnesium to give her and she is eating and drinking but seems like she has lost weight quickly. She is still grazing but has hay and gets sweet feed in the evenings. She seems bowed back like acorn poisoning symptom and is just puny acting. Could someone offer advice. This is our first cow/calf and we want to treat her right and for her to be healthy. Is there anything else we can do for her?? Thanks!

[email protected]

> We just had a cow go down and the
> vet thought it was grass tetany.
> He gave her 2 bottles of i.v.,
> shocked her twice and she got up.
> We got magnesium to give her and
> she is eating and drinking but
> seems like she has lost weight
> quickly. She is still grazing but
> has hay and gets sweet feed in the
> evenings. She seems bowed back
> like acorn poisoning symptom and
> is just puny acting. Could someone
> offer advice. This is our first
> cow/calf and we want to treat her
> right and for her to be healthy.
> Is there anything else we can do
> for her?? Thanks! I can't tell you about the acorn reaction or her reaction but I can give you a suggestion for the future. Before I put my cows out on new grass I give them bloat blocks about two or three weeks ahead of time. The day I turn them out I fill them up with hay so they don't go hog wild over the grass; I also only let them out on it for a couple of hours and bring them back to the winter pasture, then the next day for a little longer and so on for a few days. I watch for the green squirts which tells you how rich the grass is. You will probably always get some loose squirts but you don't want it so loose that they get dehyrdrated, especially your little ones. I also have them on a big enough winter pasture that they get used to the grass a little at a time. But the bloat blocks and gradual exposure seems to work for me. If she is still on fresh grass at this time I would cut out the sweet feed and give more hay if it's good quality. It's surprising how quickly a cow or calf can lose weight so may take her some time to recuperate plus if she has a calf on her it will take her some time to build back up. If the calf is old enough you may want to wean the calf off and give the cow enough time to get back on her feet otherwise you may have trouble getting her bred back.

[email protected]

Grass Tetany is caused primarily by a lack of magnesium in the rapidly growing new forage. The incidence of high potassium and nitrogen in the rapidly growing grass helps to cause the cow to not be able to use the magnesium she gets. At a minimum of a month before expected green up green-up we replace they regular minerals with a Hi-Mag mixture, same stuff as the other but with added magnesium. Others around here have problems with grass tetany but we never have had.

dunmovin farms

Latest posts