Effects of Early Weaning Research

Help Support CattleToday:

Utilization of Charolais sires was effective in increasing feedlot performance but there was no significant leanness advantage for carcasses of Charolais sired cattle nor was there any significant carcass quality advantage for Angus-sired cattle in the present trial. Although early weaning would be effective in allowing cows the opportunity to increase their body condition, decrease their maintenance costs, and improve feed efficiency of their calves, carcass advantages associated with early weaning were not realized in the present experiment.

So you're danged if you do danged if you don't?

The only experience I've had with early weaning was this last summer when we've experienced an extreme drought. I guess it served its purpose, because only one cow came up open at PD time. We weaned all calves of 4 months and older. On the downside those early weaned calves has grown very little since then(early January). They only started to really grow again the last month or so.

The amazing thing there was the similarity of the calves (particularly the steers). The Char steers' carcass weights were only 9 lbs heavier than the Angus steers.

KNERSIE":sy73jxkd said:
The only experience I've had with early weaning was this last summer when we've experienced an extreme drought. I guess it served its purpose, because only one cow came up open at PD time. We weaned all calves of 4 months and older. On the downside those early weaned calves has grown very little since then(early January). They only started to really grow again the last month or so.
If calves receive proper nutrition at early weaning, they should grow about the same as nursing calves.
We have been weaning a little earlier than in years past. Actually, I am weaning today! Calves will range from 4.5 to 6.5 months (most in the 5.5 to 6.5 age).
Young calves need a high protein diet - ours will receive 3rd growth grass (lush) and 15% protein pelleted feed (complete with all minerals). This will be fenceline weaning. It will take a few days to get them started on the pellets.
I have to wonder about the REALLY early weaning. The only time I can see it PAYING - is in a really bad forage situation. Seems to me, it's most economical to let the cow supply the protein as long as possible, as long as you have time to let her put her needed weight gain back on grass before winter.
And of course, this depends on the AREA. In the south, with mild winters, cows can do just fine, here and other harsh winter areas, you best have your cows in a good BCS so they don't eat you out of house & home to stay warm, and so they breed back next spring.

J said:
Utilization of Charolais sires was effective in increasing feedlot performance but there was no significant leanness advantage for carcasses of Charolais sired cattle nor was there any significant carcass quality advantage for Angus-sired cattle in the present trial. Although early weaning would be effective in allowing cows the opportunity to increase their body condition, decrease their maintenance costs, and improve feed efficiency of their calves, carcass advantages associated with early weaning were not realized in the present experiment.

So you're danged if you do danged if you don't?[/quote

I went to a beef cattle symposium several years ago where a producer in IL, I believe, to the best of my memory, utilized early weaning on some calves and touted how much that his carcass quality improved when the calves were finally slaughtered. Of course, he was feeding them a specifically formulated feed. And no, they weren't feed salesman.
I wean early on my older cows hoping it will extend their calving years , probably not a good idea sometimes as I find I should have just gone on and culled the cow, but it works sometimes too, I believe.

Other than the obvious benefits to the cow, I dislike weaning before 5 months, and _really_ prefer 6 months weaning. Those young calves just don't do well when they get pulled at 4 months, at least not without some extra care.

Rod

"Early weaned (EW) cattle gained 0.7 lbs/d and normal weaned (NW) cattle gained 2.4 lbs/d from June 6, 2002 to October 4, 2002."

Key point here. These early weaned cattle were held back. In most others studies, they weren't. This probably explains why we didn't see differences like in the other studies.

"Early weaning has previously been shown to improve marbling and carcass quality when early weaned calves are fed a high concentrate diet. However, early weaning using a forage-based growing system did not influence carcass quality."

Also note, that the authors stated earlier in the report that this study was different than other early weaning studies.

mtnman

Jeanne - Simme Valley":i6pym169 said:
It will take a few days to get them started on the pellets.

Jeanne - Mine seem to get started on feed earlier if I use a non-pelletized feed like steer fattener with a lot of whole corn and molasses in it for the first few days and then switch to the pelletized feed.

cfpinz

we all have our own operations and ideas, so i guess weaning really depends on what you're doing with your calves, your pasture, your herd's overall health/performance etc etc.

my father-in-law weans at 9-10 months and he really doesn't have any problems with open cows or poor milkers or anything like that, but he has a very high quality herd and some irrigated pastures. i personally think you ought to wean at about 6 months then sell them at about 7-9 months.

as a side note for discussion/argument, i read an article a couple years ago that led me to try to keep the calves in a pasture adjacent to momma after i wean (yes i have a good fence and yes every once in awhile somebody makes their way back to their mom) but i think it really does reduce the stress on the calves so they adjust quicker.

circlet":i7k88yw2 said:
we all have our own operations and ideas, so i guess weaning really depends on what you're doing with your calves, your pasture, your herd's overall health/performance etc etc.

my father-in-law weans at 9-10 months and he really doesn't have any problems with open cows or poor milkers or anything like that, but he has a very high quality herd and some irrigated pastures. i personally think you ought to wean at about 6 months then sell them at about 7-9 months.

as a side note for discussion/argument, i read an article a couple years ago that led me to try to keep the calves in a pasture adjacent to momma after i wean (yes i have a good fence and yes every once in awhile somebody makes their way back to their mom) but i think it really does reduce the stress on the calves so they adjust quicker.
I'm with your Father-inlaw, Wean at 9 to 10 months. Moma works for me, I feed her 12 months, she should do her part for 9-10 months. If she falls apart, to the sale barn she goes.

Bluestem":2ge5ac8y said:
circlet":2ge5ac8y said:

I'm with your Father-inlaw, Wean at 9 to 10 months. Moma works for me, I feed her 12 months, she should do her part for 9-10 months. If she falls apart, to the sale barn she goes.

you sound like you could be his brother!! :)

Latest posts