Effects of antibiotics on vacinations

Help Support CattleToday:

VAStocker

Reaction score
There have been times when I have recived a group of cattle that looked very stressed from shipping and running mild fevers and I have treated the whole group with agrimycen 200 when they are ran through the chute for their first vacinations. What are the effects if there is any on the vac. when administered with anitbiotics.

VA,

Maybe Vicky will chime in here, but if you receive a group of cattle stressed from shipping, some with fever, I would treat the fever and stress first. If their bodies are stressed, and borderline sick, I would not think that any vaccine would be as effective as if given healthy.

I've always been told that you have to wait for the withdrawl time on the antibiotic (the amount of time before the animal could be slaughtered), before you give the vaccination.

Rod

Antibiotics don't do anything to viral diseases... therefore they won't affect vaccinations for viruses, ie BVD, IBR, etc. Not sure about bacterial vaccinations, like blackleg and such.

Part of th problem with vaccinating when the animals are stressed is that they don;t devlop a good immune response so the vaccine isn't completely effective.

dun

VAStocker":1ooi61hk said:
There have been times when I have recived a group of cattle that looked very stressed from shipping and running mild fevers and I have treated the whole group with agrimycen 200 when they are ran through the chute for their first vacinations. What are the effects if there is any on the vac. when administered with anitbiotics.

Why would you want to vaccinate at a time when the cattle are so stressed? Stress reduces the effectiveness of the vaccine, so it seems to me like it would be better to wait until the cattle have settled in and the vaccine can do its job properly.

msscamp":255fhcns said:
VAStocker":255fhcns said:

Why would you want to vaccinate at a time when the cattle are so stressed? Stress reduces the effectiveness of the vaccine, so it seems to me like it would be better to wait until the cattle have settled in and the vaccine can do its job properly.

One of the things I've found with these stocker cattle is to start a vaccination program asap when reciveing large groups of cattle 3 days a week there is not much of an option to wait till the stress has been reduced. For the last 48 hours has been the most stress they have ever had in their life and now most of them have to be weaned. TSV2, ultrabac7/somubac and a pinkeye vacination is what they will get this first trip through the chute. The TSV2 will prevent the futher spread and give immediate response to anything that was picked up at the market and as soon as you can get that in their nostal the better. For the most part on a average day only 10-15 calves out of 50 will have a fever of 104 or better but when every other calf has a fever I find it is not a bad idea to blanket treat the whole group with Argimycin 200 because odds are now not in your favor.

VAStocker":3kw1yvco said:
msscamp":3kw1yvco said:
VAStocker":3kw1yvco said:

One of the things I've found with these stocker cattle is to start a vaccination program asap when reciveing large groups of cattle 3 days a week there is not much of an option to wait till the stress has been reduced. For the last 48 hours has been the most stress they have ever had in their life and now most of them have to be weaned. TSV2, ultrabac7/somubac and a pinkeye vacination is what they will get this first trip through the chute. The TSV2 will prevent the futher spread and give immediate response to anything that was picked up at the market and as soon as you can get that in their nostal the better. For the most part on a average day only 10-15 calves out of 50 will have a fever of 104 or better but when every other calf has a fever I find it is not a bad idea to blanket treat the whole group with Argimycin 200 because odds are now not in your favor.

Very good points. Thanks for explaining, and I apologize for my delay in responding - my memory isn't what it used to be. :oops:

the antibiotics will lessen the production of antibodies from the animals own immune system, thereby lessening the effect of the vaccine to fight the disease it is intended to take care of. if the antibiotic kills the vaccine antigen off, the cow will not respond by making it's own antibodies.

We used to handle large numbers of shipped cattle and we hit them with everything including the kitchen sink as soon as they arrived.Seemed to work ok.I don't do it that way anymore but I am not dealing with the numbers I used to deal with.

Latest posts