Effective Pouring for Lice ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I like to pour cows in early winter and work them in early spring. The easiest way to pour them is to have them file through a gate at a fast walk. These moving targets mean a lot of the pour on ends up on their back, but not right on the back bone. Will there be any difference in effectiveness from this application? Do you need to increase the dosage if it is not right on the backbone?

I always thought it was applied to the backbone just so they don't lick it off? I squirt mine in the pasture, so not much of it gets where I aim. Never noticed any lack of effectiveness.

Lots of people use a pump up sprayer , IMO when its used as a treatment for lice and ticks I want it all over the animal. Its just an expensive external spray. If it gets any worms its probably from them licking it off anyway .

kenny thomas":2jc1ixgv said:
If ur just doing it for lice there are much cheaper options. Dun, help us here I can't think tonight

I think I gave $60 for a huge bottle of promectin the other day. Works out to about 80 cents a cow.

Corn oil, PBO8, and Permethrin works good it's a generic ultra boss.
Corn oil, PBO8, and Lambda -Cy is a generic for ultra sabre.
Corn oil is the best carrier that I've tried so far.

If your just treating for lice use permethrin and water and use a 2 gallon sprayer
Lots cheaper than a pour on plus you don't build up a resistance of your wormers by not adequately dosing them

I don't use pour on wormers

We use Boss in the spring. It is just an insecticide. Ultra Boss can affect grubs so we only use it in the fall.

For lice use permethrin. I mix permethrin with diesel fuel in a 5 gallon jug and bout every two weeks I soak three rubs and it seems to help with lice, flies and possibly pink eye.

16481_A.jpg

jltrent":1jcfzzlm said:
For lice use permethrin. I mix permethrin with diesel fuel in a 5 gallon jug and bout every two weeks I soak three rubs and it seems to help with lice, flies and possibly pink eye.

16481_A.jpg

Second that! Works great for almost all our external cattle pests! Flies, lice and our # of pinkeye cases went down from almost 3/4 of our calves to one or two here and there! We have our rubs near their mineral feeders and that works pretty well, wherever there's a high-traffic area! Haven't had lice in our herd since we started this treatment method. :mrgreen:

jltrent":o1pmu8s1 said:

16481_A.jpg

are you sure that rub has anything in it ??? mine are only that white when they are hanging up in the store.

M-5":1ujseh08 said:
jltrent":1ujseh08 said:

16481_A.jpg

are you sure that rub has anything in it ??? mine are only that white when they are hanging up in the store.
I wondered about that or just if those cows are a lot cleaner then mine are.

Latest posts