EF F745 Frank P230 calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Has anyone seen the morison stock farm catalog. I'll reserve comment

I guess this sounded bad, I just wanted comments

oakcreekfarms":159fifk7 said:
Who cares about math

The calves look OK, nothing tremendously special about them. They look like decent beef calves. Good job
I agree.

THG

oakcreekfarms":bup5e48v said:
I was talking about his math, we all know that he didn't estimate the BW into his math. You showed him that, so move on.

That was my only point, not that math in itself isn't important.
Again, I agree.

THG

oakcreekfarms":1q8ucb49 said:
Has anyone seen the morison stock farm catalog. I'll reserve comment

I guess this sounded bad, I just wanted comments
I saw it today and I guess if you like a lot of Felton blood and a lot of Legend in your cattle, then head to the sale.

THG

thanks for posting the photos, it a real good help.

Do you have any other Frank calves?

Knersie, I have 5 Frank calves. If you want to see their pedgree's you can do a search in the AHA database. Just use LFF for the start of the animals name. I will e-mail you their registeration numbers if you want.

He must have had a really really really light birthweight then THG, Like 0 I'd go ahead and use him on heifers.

THG , he had a 78 pound birthweight. You seem to have doubts about the bull calf or have something about him that displeases you. I realize that Frank does have the 774 bull in his pedgree does that cause you concern?

I am too impressed that a Frank calf weighted that which at 4 months without any feed. That would mean that the calf is gaining over 100lbs. per month.
THG

THG
I'm very pleased with his current rate of gain, however I've seen another Frank calf that you would call dynamite. He was at the 2006 Touchstone sale and had a 900+ weaning weight. I too had have doubts about the numbers for that calf. The calf had been pushed with feed and was from a Highway daughter. That to me is not what raising quality cattle is about , but after seeing my bull calf preform as he has it makes the 900 pound calf more believable.

You can tell by looking at him he's not being fed like crazy. The numbers might be wrong THG. If I remember correctly, you've been wrong before.

I like them, they look like REAL calves. If they were on 15 lbs + I think alot more people would be happy with them, some would even be shocked. Nice calves Ken.

Thanks CPL
The 425 pounds at 4 months is correct. The 100 pounds per month that THG said is a bit incorrect. He has outgrown my 3008 daughter 774 bull calf that I have from KCF and appears to be doing better than the Huths N065 bull calfs as well. I don't know what he would do on feed. I'm afraid that he would get fat instead of increasing groweth.

Who cares about math

The calves look OK, nothing tremendously special about them. They look like decent beef calves. Good job

Hello Oakcreek,
I am not trying to convince anyone that the calves have special phenotype. I believe that the hidden value is the carcass quality and fleshing ablity that they will contribute to Hereford seedstock. As I said in Alan post I don't believe the next great one is here yet. I do believe that it is only one to two generations away.

Were did you get all that green stuff close to the ground?
Havnt seen any of that for months.
It is raining right now....

MD

Hi Redfornow
The green stuff is all that I have left in a small bottom. It did rain about 1/2 inch just before I took the pictures and I recieved a sprinkle a couple of days before. I'm thankful to the good Lord for every drop, we sure need it.[/quote]

LFF, I am again, not a fan of creep feeding. If a cow can't raise a calf on her own milk production, then she needs to be culled from the herd.

THG

I wieghed T2 Saturday and I missed the 600 pound figure that I thought he weigh.

He had a 2.5 pound daily gain since birth to weaning and weighed 585 pounds. I did not miss the 600 figure by much.
T2 was from a heifer and after the association calculates his adjusted weaning weight he should rate over 600 pounds.

I am kind of surprised @ reading the negative comments (although maybe the ruthless truth) posted. A highly respected member shared photos and personal information with board readers and breeders. This courage in itself should be congratulated because of the nature of the internet. For a user to sacrifice personal experience for the benefit of others while exposing one's self deserves more recognition and reward than was given. While some users did not think the calves should be nationally recognized, I for one think these specific posters must have some mighty fine cattle and their opinion is a bit premature based upon the available information. There is no reason why the photos and the information available of the cattle presented cannot be great and famous stars or at least contributing a plan to become great like a Gerber or Felton. After a while of reading such negative words after so much hard work and planning that goes into producing a purebred weaning weight of 585 pounds with a number one starting IMF EPD, makes me a little bit nauseated and makes me wonder the quality of the cattle others have, almost like the other posters are jealous instead of genuinely trying to help.

HerefordSire":2ux7m4qj said:
I am kind of surprised @ reading the negative comments (although maybe the ruthless truth) posted. A highly respected member shared photos and personal information with board readers and breeders. This courage in itself should be congratulated because of the nature of the internet. For a user to sacrifice personal experience for the benefit of others while exposing one's self deserves more recognition and reward than was given. While some users did not think the calves should be nationally recognized, I for one think these specific posters must have some mighty fine cattle and their opinion is a bit premature based upon the available information. There is no reason why the photos and the information available of the cattle presented cannot be great and famous stars or at least contributing a plan to become great like a Gerber or Felton. After a while of reading such negative words after so much hard work and planning that goes into producing a purebred weaning weight of 585 pounds with a number one starting IMF EPD, makes me a little bit nauseated and makes me wonder the quality of the cattle others have, almost like the other posters are jealous instead of genuinely trying to help.

I have to agree. THe bull weaned out at 585 ON GRASS and in Kentucky I bet some of those pastures were fescue. Purebred cattle. The heifers are functional females who look like they will grow out well and could be in production for the next 15 years. Job well done. I think comparing them to animals that have eaten twice their weight in grain before their 205 day weight is not thinking straight. These are good functional cattle working out in the real world.. Functional real world cattle are what we SHOULD be striving to produce NOT just winning a class at Denver.