Educate Me

Help Support CattleToday:

Assuming they are good, tight well wrapped bales they will keep outside fine. Obviously it would be better to keep them inside.

novaman":2t112toa said:
Assuming they are good, tight well wrapped bales they will keep outside fine. Obviously it would be better to keep them inside.

Thanks I have never dealt with it before, if this drought doesn't break I guess I will truck some in.

all hay we bale and pretty much everyone i know in this area is kept outside in big round bales. that includes the people putting it up to sell. doesnt matter what type of hay or if net wrapped or twine if it is round bale we keep it outside. only squares get coverd up.

Gittem covered and up off the ground Caustic. In our climate they absorb humidy and rain like ryegrass hay does!!!

I go along with the protect them while being stored group, but mostly because the stuff is so darn pricey. You lose 2% of a grass bale it's not that big of a dela, 2% of an alfalfa bale is more dollars lost.

houstoncutter":17rq04mw said:
Gittem covered and up off the ground Caustic. In our climate they absorb humidy and rain like ryegrass hay does!!!
I agree. Figure a way to get the bales off the ground and covered.

houstoncutter":221nvdy1 said:

:lol: I was thinking in your wet climate ..... :( :? :shock: :???: :cry2:

But I vote with Dun on this one....I'm thinking the big squares may be easier to use to supplement the "not so great" hay that I already have. Just wondering your thoughts on how to use the rounds.

you know Caustic maybe you should get them suckers and put em out in the open....Then.....lol.... maybe we would get a downpour. You could travel around Texas being the modern day RainMaker. :banana:

1982vett":1cl9t2zb said:
houstoncutter":1cl9t2zb said:

But I vote with Dun on this one....I'm thinking the big squares may be easier to use to supplement the "not so great" hay that I already have. Just wondering your thoughts on how to use the rounds.

What wet climate, I already have enough hay bought for this year.
I could store the alfalfa in the barn, I was thinking if this doesn't break having some hay in the bank with what I had left over and already bought sure wouldn't hurt.
I put the baler rakes cutter in the paper yesterday.

Caustic Burno":36zcrqk1 said:
Thinking about ordering some big round bales of alfalfa. Can you store it outside or does it have to be barn kept?
i hope you got deep full pockets,because youll prolly be paying over $100 a bale for alfalfa round bales.

1982vett":yql6ntrq said:
houstoncutter":yql6ntrq said:

if you are going to use the rounds for a supplement the best way would be to unroll a partial bale and feed it that way with your grass hay or pasture instead of feeding the whole bale at once unless you are running several hd
in the winter I will feed one bale of alfalfa to each group of 80-100 pairs along with their grass hay and it seems to work really well

Caustic Burno":3e5vxswv said:
1982vett":3e5vxswv said:
houstoncutter":3e5vxswv said:

What wet climate, I already have enough hay bought for this year.
I could store the alfalfa in the barn, I was thinking if this doesn't break having some hay in the bank with what I had left over and already bought sure wouldn't hurt.
I put the baler rakes cutter in the paper yesterday.

tongue in cheek there Caustic....

Cattle sure sold good today...Anyone considering selling pairs and the calf is 175 lbs or more...might take a look at splitting them before they go in the ring. (at least check it out) Packers were buying pairs then reselling the calves...looks like they are making a little back on the 175 - 250 lb calves. 1820lb Brangus cow (not mine) brought 84 cents today...

Caustic, i saw a fella at a seminar a few years back, that was doing something you might want to consider. He made a blade to go on a chain saw. He just cut slivers of hay out of big squares and rounds as well. He would lay the round on the flat side, peel back some net, cut what he needed. This left the bale still tight, really it was pretty neat. I sure you can find it on the web. :tiphat:

houstoncutter":1rp1zx14 said:
Caustic, i saw a fella at a seminar a few years back, that was doing something you might want to consider. He made a blade to go on a chain saw. He just cut slivers of hay out of big squares and rounds as well. He would lay the round on the flat side, peel back some net, cut what he needed. This left the bale still tight, really it was pretty neat. I sure you can find it on the web. :tiphat:
Yeah...I can just picture ole Caustic doing this....I know he's got the time to do it since he isn't baling hay anymore...what else is he going to do? ? ? :lol:

1982vett":7o4vwxag said:
houstoncutter":7o4vwxag said:
Yeah...I can just picture ole Caustic doing this....I know he's got the time to do it since he isn't baling hay anymore...what else is he going to do? ? ? :lol:

Vette you are like one of them Airedale dogs lot smarter than the look. I just sold the works for 12,000 and the next 4 yr's hay. Baler cutter and rakes.

Kinda wondering what it would be like not to bale any hay...sort of scared I'm going to find out this year....

Latest posts