Educate me on cubes and cake

Help Support CattleToday:

I called my local rice mill to ask about bran and it is $195 per ton, but they haven't had any extras in two weeks to sell. Rice bran by the bag is $9.99 per 50# bag.

Do distillers have cake? If so, there is a new Rum distiller that opened up on I-10 and I may call them about "cake".

MudHog":2oavt2px said:
I called my local rice mill to ask about bran and it is $195 per ton, but they haven't had any extras in two weeks to sell. Rice bran by the bag is $9.99 per 50# bag.

Do distillers have cake? If so, there is a new Rum distiller that opened up on I-10 and I may call them about "cake".

This may be true, but how does this comment help me?--------Just funnin ya. You asked me that yesterday.

Doubtful a mill like that would be processing their distillers waist into a product like that.

Bigfoot":29wqqidt said:
1. I see many post on here about range cubes, and cake. Are they the same product? Noone I know feeds either, and as far as I know they are not available locally.

2. I see people that I have a lot of respect for their knowledge feed them. It seems to me there would be cheaper supplements. Is it an inexpensive supplement to winter hay?
1. Cubes is cake, but not all cake is cubes.
2. I have fed 20% cubes with poor hay several times. The bad thing is they are getting more expensive, the good thing is 2 1/2 -4 lbs per day can make a big difference.

MudHog":9gygv7kk said:

I doubt it. Extremely hard to pelletize or make a cube from distillers. You might could find some of the wet distillers grain but you would probably have to buy a truck load and it doesn't have a long shelf life. Horse folks have driven the price of rice bran up the last few years.

The first suppelment used here was pressed cottenseed , rolled through a roller and shipped in boxcars standing on edge. There was the word cake because it was and looked like somewhat cake. Went on and they perfected someway to make it so that it crumbled more and it came in 100 lb sacks. All hand labor and was a good way to keep in shape[did'nt have no gym's or excersize machines in those days]. In time the pellet equipment was perfected and just about any kind of feed can be pelleted. But in this part of the open prairie country the main cow winter feed is cake[just all cubes and or pellets is so called] and good grass. It is a pretty good way to winter these old range cows. One other thing the old cottenseed cake or pellets was the very best and those old girls , if there was any snow, didnt need water.Think the main cube and or pellet here now is combination alfalfa,peas, cull wheat, and barley. Just about all bulk and usually comes in 20--25 ton loads. Feed it on the ground and there is no waste.

Exactly....and the cake back then was even better than the full strength stuff now as the oil mills could not extact as much of the oil from the seed so you ended up with a higher fat content in the cake. The new mills used today really get the oil out of it so CSM has very little fat. You can still get straight cubed 41% cottonseed meal cubes around this part of the country but most people prefer to feed the 20% cubes which will contain a lot of the by-products you mentioned. Still a good product as long as the fiber level is low (meaning it contains little or no filler).

I have fed a lot of cubes in the past. But now I am using the QLF liquid syrup with pretty good results. They will really lick it up for about the first month and you will think I can not afford this and then they level off on it. I have found that this and some mediocre hay works very well. Cost for 97 head of cows will cost about $1000 per month. Oops I told you how many cows I have oh well that is alright.

hurleyjd":5j01z9wg said:
I have fed a lot of cubes in the past. But now I am using the QLF liquid syrup with pretty good results. They will really lick it up for about the first month and you will think I can not afford this and then they level off on it. I have found that this and some mediocre hay works very well. Cost for 97 head of cows will cost about $1000 per month. Oops I told you how many cows I have oh well that is alright.

That's not bad per head.

Hurleyjd, if you don't mind what is the approximate protein of your hay? And how many rolls do you feed in a month?? I grind all my own feed and it's starting to take up to much time. But I do like buying cheap hay, and supplementing protein. I seem to come out cheaper, and checking the cows is easy. Thanks

highgrit said:
Hurleyjd, if you don't mind what is the approximate protein of your hay? And how many rolls do you feed in a month?? I grind all my own feed and it's starting to take up to much time. But I do like buying cheap hay, and supplementing protein. I seem to come out cheaper, and checking the cows is easy. Thanks[/quote

feeding 90 bales a month. Hay is a mix of Bermuda/Bahia. I would estimate the protein at about 6%. the first two months they were going through 550 gallons of syrup every three weeks but now the syrup will last a month. I do not feed in hay rings I feed on the ground. I set the bale on the ground after removing the net and stick the bale forks in the hay about a foot from the top and peel that layer off and pick up the rest of the bale and move and repeat the procedure again until the bale is very small. The cows clean up the hay very well you can hardly tell where the hay has been fed.

TexasBred":1ncobjoz said:
Exactly....and the cake back then was even better than the full strength stuff now as the oil mills could not extact as much of the oil from the seed so you ended up with a higher fat content in the cake. The new mills used today really get the oil out of it so CSM has very little fat. You can still get straight cubed 41% cottonseed meal cubes around this part of the country but most people prefer to feed the 20% cubes which will contain a lot of the by-products you mentioned. Still a good product as long as the fiber level is low (meaning it contains little or no filler).
I don't have a livestock weekly handy or I could tell ya the name of this place/town but over west of San Angelo there is a mill that advertises " old style" cottonseed cake. If I ever get they way I intend to pick some up. Thanks for your explanation. Where do you get the 41% cakes? How much $?

Kingfisher":3u2cewe8 said:
TexasBred":3u2cewe8 said:
I don't have a livestock weekly handy or I could tell ya the name of this place/town but over west of San Angelo there is a mill that advertises " old style" cottonseed cake. If I ever get they way I intend to pick some up. Thanks for your explanation. Where do you get the 41% cakes? How much $?
KF I haven't fed any in a couple of years. Use to drive over to Waco and get it from feed store there. Busby feed was the name of the store.

cross_7":2vg5qhjt said:
Isomade":2vg5qhjt said:
cross_7":2vg5qhjt said:
This is not about cake or cubes. At one time you could get cotton meal and hulls to feed. This went a long way when no hay was available. I have feed meal and hulls in the past, I do not know if they are available any more.

The oil mill here used to have 80/20 in 100# tow sacks but quit sometime back in the the 90's
Now you can still buy bagged meal but you have buy the hulls bulk and to get a good price you have buy a semi truck load( 50000# I think)
But I never did have a place to store it
If a guy had the storage facility he could cut his feed cost

That's something else you don't anymore is tow sacks
I'm feeding a mix of ddg, soy hulls, gluten, and corn. Delivered by semi it's 218/ton. Cubes are 270 delivered.

You have a bin ?[/quote]
371689E5-3DD7-4FB3-A796-4C6CF094F6EF-3496-000002E331B31CFA.jpg

Angus Cowman":grn7aa48 said:
TB have you noticed the CSM sure doesn't smell the same as it used to I always liked the smell before but since they have went to chemical extraction it kinda stinks
AC it doesn't even look the same as it use to. Some will be very fine another very course like coffee. And as you said, very little smell at all. The solvent added prior to extraction of the oil is probably responsible.

greybeard":3nzs6qzm said:
Isomade":3nzs6qzm said:
I'm feeding a mix of ddg, soy hulls, gluten, and corn. Delivered by semi it's 218/ton. Cubes are 270 delivered.

You have a bin ?
371689E5-3DD7-4FB3-A796-4C6CF094F6EF-3496-000002E331B31CFA.jpg
Nice bin--you trade the sheet metal off your run in shed roof for it?
:lol: :lol: ;-) ;-)[/quote]
Yea, at the time I didn't think was ever gonna rain again so.... :lol:

So I got a question for you guys in the Virginia Maryland area. Does anyone have a mill that sells range cubes 20% in bulk by you. I am in jersey but my friend feeds big pellets of pig feed that is 20% by the pallet load. She raises rats and mice for reptile owners. She was wondering if there is anyone not that far away in the virginia area. None of the mills around here can make pellets that big.

I like cubes but dang they are getting way to high I use to feed them 2-3 times a week this year only when it got cold time to find something cheaper

We feed cubes here on a regular basis thru the winter months, mid Nov thru mid March, and maybe weekly during the other months. In winter, I feed every other day, approx. 5 lbs per head.

20% cubes @ $360.00 ton - picked up at feed store by the ton (pallet), 40 bags on a pallet.

If I feed 65 feedings thru the winter, @ 5lbs per head, that's 325 lbs @ .18 lb, is $58.50 per cow

Latest posts