Educate me on cubes and cake

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
1. I see many post on here about range cubes, and cake. Are they the same product? Noone I know feeds either, and as far as I know they are not available locally.

2. I see people that I have a lot of respect for their knowledge feed them. It seems to me there would be cheaper supplements. Is it an inexpensive supplement to winter hay?

Bigfoot":33b7uw95 said:
1. I see many post on here about range cubes, and cake. Are they the same product? Noone I know feeds either, and as far as I know they are not available locally.

2. I see people that I have a lot of respect for their knowledge feed them. It seems to me there would be cheaper supplements. Is it an inexpensive supplement to winter hay?

I do not know much about cubes and cakes but I buy range cubes from Southern States and give as a treat to my cattle. I could be wrong but I think cubes are just pelletized feeds. They call them range cubes but they are pellets is why I assume they are just pelletized feed.

bigfoot, I always wondered that myself the difference between cubes and cake. I never heard of "cake" until I got on here, most folks around here use cubes to feed with in the winter, or tubs, or liquid feed. Anyone for cake?

Cake has me puzzled never heard of that one. I guess I should educate myself more cause all I ever known growing up around cattle was keeping good grass and hay and using sweet feed. I fill my calf feeders up with southern states jumpstart and thats truly the only thing I feed thats pelletized and my minerals are in tubs.

I've never heard of "cake", but I just started using cubes this year. Range cubes are a type of feed that are cylindrical in shape and about 1/2" in diameter. Length varies depending if the tube gets broken. I feed a small area, so I take the 50# bag and walk along dry ground and pour the cubes on the ground. The cubes I buy are 20% All Natural and are $11.95 per 50# bag.

distiller_cube.JPG

Some call it cubes. Some call it cake. Same way as some call it soda. Some call it pop. To me, it's cake and it's pop! 8)

Cake is generally more economical supplement as compared to lick barrels or tubs. Advantage is that all you need to feed it is a bunch of old 5 gal buckets and a pickup.

Though most everyone I know who feeds cake today now has an overhead bin to fill a cake feeder in the back of the pickup. That would take the work out of it.

IIRC, there have been studies done that you could feed cake every other day and get the same results as feeding every day. That would save a lot of cost if you are travelling many miles to feed your cattle.

I did that one year when I wintered my cattle at my summer place 17 miles from home and went every other day. Cows did well on pasture and cake until I brought them home a month or so before calving. Then I started feeding hay.

Bulk delivery must be available, because at almost $12 a bag, the price per ton would be so cost prohibitive, it'd eat up all the profits.

I think John SD has it right; it's a regional thing whether it's called cubes or cake. I always thought cubes were bagged and cake was bulk but it was the same product. Cubes are to high for me. I fed them when they were $5 or $6 a bag but have went to supplementing with DDG or Gluten.

There cubes to me, and for 20% cubes here they are about 18$ a hundred, that's all I feed my cows, of course I don't regurally feed cows, just getting them up or if I have some penned.

Bigfoot":1hdfawrn said:
I am assuming this product is fed to cows, and not stockers etc.
About 20-30 ton cheaper bulk
Google t&s trip feeder, everybody has one here to feed cake
The cubes are a convenience thing, you can drive around and feed pastures out on the ground
There are better cheaper options for stockers

The bottom falls out of our ground so bad in the winter, you cant unroll hay, or feed on the ground. I can see how that would be handy, just not useful here.

Bigfoot":1eyuphik said:
The bottom falls out of our ground so bad in the winter, you cant unroll hay, or feed on the ground. I can see how that would be handy, just not useful here.

There's not much hay fed here
Standing grass and cake unless we're in drought and then hay is like gold

TennesseeTuxedo":1sgggnsq said:
Bigfoot":1sgggnsq said:

You could feed it in bunks Bigfoot.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

skyhightree1":2op5e33p said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2op5e33p said:
Bigfoot":2op5e33p said:

You could feed it in bunks Bigfoot.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Or buy better feed since you don't have a need for the cubes

I just use as treats for the cattle so that way when they see the blue tub they come to it so if im away and they get out all I gotta do is tell someone to get the blue tub and put some of that in it and shake it they will gladly come back into the pasture.

Bigfoot":29452gzi said:

I think I may know a little bit about bottom falling out.

Latest posts