Economical Fly Control Options

Help Support CattleToday:

10% permethrin is sold under several different names and brands. I used Stock Tox from martin on my cattle rubs. It was discontinued for some reason but replaced by Stock Tox-X
The instructions for rubs is on the back of the bottle. I used diesel to mix it on the rubs with but also used water for direct application with a pump up sprayer.
View attachment 17163
When the flapson the rubs wore out, I just used old tee shirts torn into strips. Worked just as well and lasted about as long. (Don't use old bath towel strips. They shred into threads and the birds carry them off (and probably die as well)
I used the same pump up sprayer to charge the rub, but with the end nozzle removed from the sprayer. Takes about 5 gal of solution to charge an 8' long rub.

I used these rubs:
Thanks Greybeard! Good information. I'm going to mix the stock guard concentrate with water and see how it works as a spray. Might go the strips route if I can't get these flies under control.

Guineas and/or chickens.

I've had both on my property and they'll go out into the pastures and also hang out near the pen where my renter who owns most of them dumps grain for them. Haven't had bad flies at all.
We have chickens but they are in a separate pen because we also have a Labrador retriever, and bird dogs and chickens loose do not mix lol. I wish I could however!

Thanks Greybeard! Good information. I'm going to mix the stock guard concentrate with water and see how it works as a spray. Might go the strips route if I can't get these flies under control.
Do wear gloves and watch for wind drift while spraying. You really don't want the spray on you regardless of strength or dilution.

I mix appx. 40% permethrin 60% oil in a 1 gallon jug and use a drench gun. I keep 3 jugs when I spray and it covers 55 cows/bulls/heifers and the calves (not all the calves get sprayed). I just dump cubes, walk through the herd, spray down their back, sides, back of their head, the bulls get it on their bellies. Generally start out only having to spray every other week but in heavy fly season, maybe once a week - 10 days.
I'm sure this has probably been covered already, but what type of oil are you using in this mix?