Economical Fly Control Options

Help Support CattleToday:

Garlic in loose mineral is the way to go I think. There's also mixes with garlic and Altosid, repels with the garlic and disrupts the eggs in manure. Im using garlic and cinnamon, in a hi-mag right now. some cows have zero FF some calves have a few I can count the face flies on one hand, I suspect the calves consume less mineral due to the milk still supplementing their diet. It takes 1-2 weeks to take effect as far as I know. I put it out starting April 1st.
I have an old back rub I soak in diesel, I haven't bothered putting it up this year

I plane on getting a couple of these this year. Looks trouble free and easy.
We had Lewis Cattle Oilers. Besides helping to control flies, we noticed lesser problems with lice. I think the oilers during the summer help kill the sucking lice plus get the eggs, thus interrupting their life cycle.

We used mineral with IGR as well. Cinnamon-garlic wasn't available then. It was designed to help digest forage better, resulting in weight gain. Then producers started to notice the fly load was less. There really isn't any research to speak of that garlic repels flies. But when customers tell you it does, we listen. If you allow the garlic (or garlic in mineral) to run out, we are told then the flies come back.

FWIW.

We had Lewis Cattle Oilers. Besides helping to control flies, we noticed lesser problems with lice. I think the oilers during the summer help kill the sucking lice plus get the eggs, thus interrupting their life cycle.

We used mineral with IGR as well. Cinnamon-garlic wasn't available then. It was designed to help digest forage better, resulting in weight gain. Then producers started to notice the fly load was less. There really isn't any research to speak of that garlic repels flies. But when customers tell you it does, we listen. If you allow the garlic (or garlic in mineral) to run out, we are told then the flies come back.

FWIW.
I was quoted $1,800 for the Prarie Phoenix oiler delivered and set up. The chemicals they recommended was $45 for 5 gallons. I thought that was a touch pricey so didn't pull the trigger. Judging by the flies on our yearlings this year I think the oiler would have paid for itself in weight gain alone. If I figured right a truckload of yearling would need to gain an extra 17# a head to pay for the oiler. I'm near sure they'd have done more than that this year.

Well I have looked high and low for PBO-8 and I can't find it anywhere. I work at a feed store and I can't even order it though my work. I'm not sure if living in Ca has something to do with that… we have so many restrictions on pesticides and drugs. We can't even get penicillin, LA-200, Today and Tomorrow Mastitis treatments, and pretty much any other antibiotic anymore. All because Ca restricts the sale of those drugs. Good think I'm close to Nevada. Any other synergists besides the PBO-8 that I would be able to look into getting to mix with the permethrin and corn oil?

Cattle in/around buildings I use sticky fly traps/strips. Other things I do have already been mentioned - altosid mineral, spray, and dust bags. Pinkeye vaccine for young calves, too.

Well I have looked high and low for PBO-8 and I can't find it anywhere. I work at a feed store and I can't even order it though my work. I'm not sure if living in Ca has something to do with that… we have so many restrictions on pesticides and drugs. We can't even get penicillin, LA-200, Today and Tomorrow Mastitis treatments, and pretty much any other antibiotic anymore. All because Ca restricts the sale of those drugs. Good think I'm close to Nevada. Any other synergists besides the PBO-8 that I would be able to look into getting to mix with the permethrin and corn oil?
Evidently out of stock until 2023. Try just the 10% permethrin and oil. That's what I've been using and so far, so good.

I have been told to try putting out a load 'dirty base' gravel.

The belief Is that the cattle will rub their faces in it, transferring lime dust that the flies don't like.

Has anybody tried using 'dirty base'?

I have been down the path of sprays, rubs, and pour-ons.

Yes, I vaccinate for my local area specific pinkeye strain but some still get it.

Cash buyers are looking for any reason mark down a calf. A glass eye will cost you money.

They are even marking down for frostbite on the tips of the ears of which I have had a few instances. I am moving my calving season to a couple of weeks later in the year.

Evidently out of stock until 2023. Try just the 10% permethrin and oil. That's what I've been using and so far, so good.
Bummer! How much permethrin to oil ratio are you using? And are you applying it like a fly spray, or like a pour on? And how often? I don't want to over do it although I've been flu spraying these guys every morning…

I made this but with with a blue plastic barrel instead ($50 bought new b/c I didn't want any chemicals in it), a free old tire from a local tire distributor and the strips ($75 b/c I had to have them shipped as no one local carries them). Took me an hour to drill through the tire, and put together.

1653490725637.png

Here's the ingredients that are on the strips.
1653490831437.png

I made this but with with a blue plastic barrel instead ($50 bought new b/c I didn't want any chemicals in it), a free old tire from a local tire distributor and the strips ($75 b/c I had to have them shipped as no one local carries them). Took me an hour to drill through the tire, and put together.

View attachment 17129

Here's the ingredients that are on the strips.
View attachment 17130
Ok that is really neat!! How long do the strips last for you?

Ok that is really neat!! How long do the strips last for you?
I'm not sure just yet. I've had them out there for about a month (we got hit with flies earlier than usual this year, and then it got cold again). I've got a stupid calf that's eaten some of the strips b/c they're there, so they're not super rugged. But b/c I made it myself the hole is a little smaller, and I didn't use the whole bag of strips so I've got spares. I'm hoping they last the summer.

Bummer! How much permethrin to oil ratio are you using? And are you applying it like a fly spray, or like a pour on? And how often? I don't want to over do it although I've been flu spraying these guys every morning…
I mix appx. 40% permethrin 60% oil in a 1 gallon jug and use a drench gun. I keep 3 jugs when I spray and it covers 55 cows/bulls/heifers and the calves (not all the calves get sprayed). I just dump cubes, walk through the herd, spray down their back, sides, back of their head, the bulls get it on their bellies. Generally start out only having to spray every other week but in heavy fly season, maybe once a week - 10 days.

I mix appx. 40% permethrin 60% oil in a 1 gallon jug and use a drench gun. I keep 3 jugs when I spray and it covers 55 cows/bulls/heifers and the calves (not all the calves get sprayed). I just dump cubes, walk through the herd, spray down their back, sides, back of their head, the bulls get it on their bellies. Generally start out only having to spray every other week but in heavy fly season, maybe once a week - 10 days.
Awesome thank you! I found this that I could mix my own I think. 81BFE4E0-421F-4FCA-98B9-11DC446C0242.png

10% permethrin is sold under several different names and brands. I used Stock Tox from martin on my cattle rubs. It was discontinued for some reason but replaced by Stock Tox-X
The instructions for rubs is on the back of the bottle. I used diesel to mix it on the rubs with but also used water for direct application with a pump up sprayer.
stocktox.jpg
When the flapson the rubs wore out, I just used old tee shirts torn into strips. Worked just as well and lasted about as long. (Don't use old bath towel strips. They shred into threads and the birds carry them off (and probably die as well)
I used the same pump up sprayer to charge the rub, but with the end nozzle removed from the sprayer. Takes about 5 gal of solution to charge an 8' long rub.

I used these rubs:

Last edited:
I have 2 different groups of cattle. My feeder steers, and my bred cows/heifers. Flies are awful this year. I usually put out fly bags, and just spray them with fly spray. I have been spraying every single day, and the cows are still miserable. Steers are getting processed in September so I'm not sure about withdrawal times on them with some pesticides. The biggest issue is face flies. What sprays can I use that work better and are more economical? What about a feed thru fly control mineral…? Dust bags? I just need to think about the feeder steers to make sure there isn't a withdrawal since they are getting processed in September. I saw some homemade fly mixes on here from a few members that I might try too. What's the best container to put the mix in to spray them well? Most of my cattle are docile so I can get close (esp with a bucket of cubes).
Guineas and/or chickens.

I've had both on my property and they'll go out into the pastures and also hang out near the pen where my renter who owns most of them dumps grain for them. Haven't had bad flies at all.

10% permethrin is sold under several different names and brands. I used Stock Tox from martin on my cattle rubs. It was discontinued for some reason but replaced by Stock Tox-X
The instructions for rubs is on the back of the bottle. I used diesel to mix it on the rubs with but also used water for direct application with a pump up sprayer.
View attachment 17163
When the flapson the rubs wore out, I just used old tee shirts torn into strips. Worked just as well and lasted about as long. (Don't use old bath towel strips. They shred into threads and the birds carry them off (and probably die as well)
I used the same pump up sprayer to charge the rub, but with the end nozzle removed from the sprayer. Takes about 5 gal of solution to charge an 8' long rub.

I used these rubs:
If we put those out the buzzards flock to them for some reason. They sit on them and claw at them until they tear them to shreds. It is extremely aggravating because they work really good.

I went to a seminar a few years ago where we were told that the Pinkeye vaccine was only about 50% effective.
I suspect that's because the primary (commercial) pinkeye vaccine only targets Moxarella bovis. As @Dan-DK Farms mentioned, pinkeye vaccines are more effective if they're region specific. I use an autogenous, created by Newport Laboratories, that is for Moxarella bovis, moxarella bovoculi and mycoplasma bovoculi. Had to treat a few calves a few years ago, but that was before my vet included mycoplasma bovoculi. The vet tech told me they're ordering a new vaccine that targets a 4th strain, but don't know what that is yet. Can't remember the last time I had to treat a cow.

Latest posts