Economical Fly Control Options

Help Support CattleToday:

ksmit454

Reaction score
I have 2 different groups of cattle. My feeder steers, and my bred cows/heifers. Flies are awful this year. I usually put out fly bags, and just spray them with fly spray. I have been spraying every single day, and the cows are still miserable. Steers are getting processed in September so I'm not sure about withdrawal times on them with some pesticides. The biggest issue is face flies. What sprays can I use that work better and are more economical? What about a feed thru fly control mineral…? Dust bags? I just need to think about the feeder steers to make sure there isn't a withdrawal since they are getting processed in September. I saw some homemade fly mixes on here from a few members that I might try too. What's the best container to put the mix in to spray them well? Most of my cattle are docile so I can get close (esp with a bucket of cubes).

If you use mineral with IGR (altosid) that works mostly on horn flies. What you have are face flies. Have you tried mineral with garlic and cinnamon? Reports are that cinnamon and garlic in mineral repels flies. You will have to keep the mineral in front of them or the flies will come back.

When flies are really bad, it often takes two sources of fly control in order to control the flies.
With IGR it will take 2 weeks to interrupt the life cycle of the fly before you see any reduction in flies. Horn flies are what cause cattle to bunch up. Have you noticed yours bunching up?

Found the thread. Even the recipe for the equivalent of Ultra Boss & Ultra Sabre are considerably less expensive then purchasing the true name brands. BTW, still don't know how effective just the permethrin/oil is against ticks because we're just getting into heavy tick season, I've been feeding mineral with CTC for the past 6 weeks and my herd was wormed with Cydectin last weekend. Time will tell.

I've been using a 1 gallon hand pump sprayer with permethrin/water and baby oil mixture and it does ok. I do keep fly bags at watering/feeding sites but boy do them things stink. Face flies haven't been horrible for me but they are covering their legs below the knees.

Curious if I mix in some cinnamon and garlic power in with my mixture if that would help any?

Cheap isn't always good.

Co-Ral is what the TAHC uses for fever ticks in the quarantine zone. Even those of us outside the zone but near it are urged to use it to help with the spread.
Had to look up fever ticks, Co-Ral & TAHC. The death rate and quarantining is scary stuff! Not in KS that I'm aware of. But neither were feral hogs and they're starting to show up around here.

How do you use Co-Ral? And do you wear protective gear? How long does it last/how often if you spray as opposed to a back rub, etc.?

That said, I agree that cheap isn't always good.

Had to look up fever ticks, Co-Ral & TAHC. The death rate and quarantining is scary stuff! Not in KS that I'm aware of. But neither were feral hogs and they're starting to show up around here.

How do you use Co-Ral? And do you wear protective gear? How long does it last/how often if you spray as opposed to a back rub, etc.?

That said, I agree that cheap isn't always good.
We use Co-Ral twice a year or if I move cattle. Just put it in a 1g or 2g sprayer and wet the cows down in a pen or trailer or chute.

My experience is it works best for ticks and lice. The fly control is short lived. It must not have the residuals of others.

Co-Ral in liquid back rubs work really well but the buzzards will destroy them, here. I have to use powder on the back rubs.

In the fever tick quarantine area they use it in dipping vats. They have whole process to check cattle and clear them to be moved. Some people have them on their ranches and some auction barns have them. The permanent quarantine area is in the RGV area, basically along the Mexico border. The US has largely killed out the fever tick but cattle, wildlife and people moving freely across the border bring fever ticks in to the US. At times there have been temporary quarantine counties several hours up from the border due to it spreading north.

The permanent quarantine area acts as a "wall" to protect fever ticks from moving up in the rest of the southern US.

If you use mineral with IGR (altosid) that works mostly on horn flies. What you have are face flies. Have you tried mineral with garlic and cinnamon? Reports are that cinnamon and garlic in mineral repels flies. You will have to keep the mineral in front of them or the flies will come back.

When flies are really bad, it often takes two sources of fly control in order to control the flies.
With IGR it will take 2 weeks to interrupt the life cycle of the fly before you see any reduction in flies. Horn flies are what cause cattle to bunch up. Have you noticed yours bunching up?
I did start putting out the blocks with garlic in them to see if it helps. I just started doing that this year so I don't think they've had enough access to them yet. I have not noticed them bunching up. My biggest problem are flies covering their faces. How do I spray their face without getting in their eyes?? So difficult

The use of IGR's is not of much use if you have neighboring cattle that aren't treated. If you are not close to another herd it works great. As to the face flies, a mineral feeder that has a "face fly applicator" always works. Something like permethrin has a very short withdrawal period.
Yes I'd love to use IGR's but I have a large cattle ranch just across the road from me and I know he doesn't use IGR's. So that might not help in my situation sadly. I'll look into the face fly applicators thank you!

Im
We will put BRUTE or any of the name brand, high dollar, fly control products when we work cattle. After that I try to keep bags out just to keep them brushed up in between. It works pretty good just not pastures are set up for bags.
considering trying the bags. I do have a walk thru gate that they have to go through to get to the water. Problem is this is only for the steers, as the cows/heifers are in a different pasture.

Found the thread. Even the recipe for the equivalent of Ultra Boss & Ultra Sabre are considerably less expensive then purchasing the true name brands. BTW, still don't know how effective just the permethrin/oil is against ticks because we're just getting into heavy tick season, I've been feeding mineral with CTC for the past 6 weeks and my herd was wormed with Cydectin last weekend. Time will tell.
Thanks so much for that! I don't have a huge herd but boy am I going thru the fly sprays… so I'll have to try one of those mixes.

I've been using a 1 gallon hand pump sprayer with permethrin/water and baby oil mixture and it does ok. I do keep fly bags at watering/feeding sites but boy do them things stink. Face flies haven't been horrible for me but they are covering their legs below the knees.

Curious if I mix in some cinnamon and garlic power in with my mixture if that would help any?
I'm sure adding garlic would help as it deters flies and pests.

Im

considering trying the bags. I do have a walk thru gate that they have to go through to get to the water. Problem is this is only for the steers, as the cows/heifers are in a different pasture.
I use the alley bows for portable pens. You can put them at any gate. Tie it from the gate to the post the gate would usually close against then hang your fly bag off it. For bigger holes I'll add panels to the side of the alley bow as needed.

I use the alley bows for portable pens. You can put them at any gate. Tie it from the gate to the post the gate would usually close against then hang your fly bag off it. For bigger holes I'll add panels to the side of the alley bow as needed.
Great thank you, I have 2 alley bow gates that they walk through.

Latest posts