Eclectic Fence and Rubber maid water tank

Help Support CattleToday:

CircleA

Reaction score
Howdy y'all,
This weekend i installed an eclectic fence on the horse pasture. All worked well and looks like this WILL save the fencing. My problem is that i think the horses are not drinking water because of the electric fence.

the tank is a 110 gal rubber maid tank, filled daily by a hose. So there isn't any metal that would cause a connection and a spark.

some water has been consumed but i would think that four horse would drink more. It hasn't been too hot lately so the need for water has decrease, but .....

I think they are just scared of the fence and hopefully will get over it.

thanks,
Alex

How close is the stock tank to the fence? I'd keep tank at least 15 or 20 feet away from the fence. If tank is close, it is "possible" that the horse might feel/sense some electrical energy from the fence... just a thought.

Circle A

You may have a stray voltage problem.

Please confirm the following:

1. More than one strand of hot wire.

2. All wires are well insulated and there are no shorts.

3. A minimum of three grounding rods - placed at least 10 feet apart and at least 10 yards from the electric fencer. Six feet or better into the ground. All electrical connections tight and no rust.

Then park your truck on the ground beside the fencer with the fencer on.

Turn on the radio to your local AM station. If you hear a tick tick on the radio as an interference signal - you have a stray voltage problem and need to find it. This is a simple test that works about 50% of the time - the rest I use a couple of fancy testers my electrician neighbour lends to me.

Otherwise, you may have horses who simply are not thirsty!

Regards

Bez

I just made 4 new turn outs for our horses, we have 2 rubber maid 50 gallon tanks turned under the bottom hot wire ( three strands of 1/2" electric rope), so that 2 runs share one water tub. first two days none drinking, now I fill about every three days. I have a tick on my radio, so I'll install more ground rods, as suggested. But it does'nt keep them from water.

Alan

Thanks every body,
i have a single line of wire, will do the AM radio test. i have three ground stakes.

will let you know,

they did seem to drink more yesterday, however, last night no water was touched.

Alex

More on my fence problems...

I was not able to do the AM radio test last night, worked late, but i did hook up a fence tester - it the cheap type that hangs on the line and when the ground probe is stuck in the ground, lights lite up to tell you how many volts or what ever you have at that location. Well, before i had the ground probe in the ground, it was lighting up and when i grabbed the probe - ZOEEEEY!

so, i am guessing i have a problem.

Do i need more ground rods?

Alex

If you had the tester/light part hanging on the fence and then grabbed the ground probe you will likely get nailed. Stick the ground probe in first and hold only the plastic handel part to hang on the fence. Don't touch the little insulated wire that goes from the ground probe to the handel.