Eating

Help Support CattleToday:

livestockchick

Reaction score
If I got one show steer would he eat by himself? or do you need another buddy for him to be a good eater? Has anyone raised a steer by himself for 4-H?

The 1 first cow we ever bought we got by herself. We got home with her about 9-10 o'clock at night. Turned her out the in pasture.....

Next morning she was gone...looked for her all day, finally found her 2 miles down the road in another pasture with some other cows. Thankfully we knew the guy and he was going to get his cows up anyway that weekend and we were going to get her then. He drove over to the house to tell us that he got her up and wanted to know if we wanted to just sell her and leave her where she is. Anyway we sold her and that was that.

That was our very first cow and we learned right then and there that next time, we are going to buy more than one, so they always have other cows there to keep the company.

I wouldnt put 1 head in a pasture by themselves, especially if they can see other cattle in some other pasture nearby, they will def. try to get out.

Two are better-
I have a neighbor that fattens a single every year and does real well just putting some goats in with it-- one year he had a pig in there too :)

To ansewer your question yes he will eat by himself. And im assuming that if he is gong to be a show steer he will either be broke to lead when you bye him or your gonna break him, either way i hope you plan on keeping him in a barn and/or corral. If hes never had feed before then it may take him 4 or 5 days to figure out what it is but once he does you have nuthin to worry bout. When your only showing 1 animal your the only buddy he needs, if u have another calf with him hes gonna want to be with it. If this is gonna be your first show steer then i wish you the best of luck its a very good learning experience and alot of fun. But just remember you have to put in alot of time and put out alot of responsibility, but its all worth it.

Mongoose":53tiegh6 said:
The 1 first cow we ever bought we got by herself. We got home with her about 9-10 o'clock at night. Turned her out the in pasture.....

Next morning she was gone...looked for her all day, finally found her 2 miles down the road in another pasture with some other cows. Thankfully we knew the guy and he was going to get his cows up anyway that weekend and we were going to get her then. He drove over to the house to tell us that he got her up and wanted to know if we wanted to just sell her and leave her where she is. Anyway we sold her and that was that.

That was our very first cow and we learned right then and there that next time, we are going to buy more than one, so they always have other cows there to keep the company.

I wouldnt put 1 head in a pasture by themselves, especially if they can see other cattle in some other pasture nearby, they will def. try to get out.

That was the first mistake. Whenever you bring a new cow to your place, ALWAYS lock them up a day or two in a SOLID pen. They need to learn where home is as it is not the place they left anymore. It wouldn't hurt to feed them grain/hay so they can know where food comes from, ie- close to barn.

As for having a show steer eating OK on his own I don't know. The Show Board may be a place to start asking.

livestockchick":207pg3t5 said:
If I got one show steer would he eat by himself? or do you need another buddy for him to be a good eater? Has anyone raised a steer by himself for 4-H?

We've never raised a steer for 4-H, but we have raised a lot of steers for butcher - pretty much the same principle. Never had a problem with them eating - even when they were penned by themselves.

We have had show steers both ways. All have done well but the ones with a buddy seem to do a bit better. It was hard on the buddies when the show steers went away.

livestockchick":2v475109 said:

You have gotten some great answers here, so I will throw in my two bits worth:
Yes, he will eat by himself. I currently have a full-blood registered Angus penned up by himself, and he is eating by himself. If yours is going to be a show steer, then you need to get a halter on him ASAP, and begin leading him; If you havent done that already.

i think it depends on the animal. ive seen it both ways too. but in my personal experience i think he'll eat more with a buddy. JMO.

CPL":3tb7imgm said:
That was the first mistake. Whenever you bring a new cow to your place, ALWAYS lock them up a day or two in a SOLID pen. They need to learn where home is as it is not the place they left anymore. It wouldn't hurt to feed them grain/hay so they can know where food comes from, ie- close to barn.

Yeah I know, I learned the hard way thats all. That was my first cow though. =/ The second time we bought cattle we kept them in a pen and fed them grain hay and water for 2-3 days.

TheBullLady":3vuamo3t said:
I would also suggest a buddy.. why not get another steer to fatten to put in with him?

I guess that all depends on how much a person wants to spend on feed. Feed for two or one??