Eating prickly pears

Help Support CattleToday:

townfarmer

Reaction score
Does anybody still eat pricly pears (comment in another thread on here got me thinking). I remember as a kid eating prickly pear with icecream. It used to be quite a popular thing. Never hear of it anymore. I think no-one can be bothered peeling and fiddling around with them. Do people eat them in other parts of the world??

Andrew

They sell some type cactus at our grocery store. I heard they slice them and eat them like green beans. I'd be interested to try them.

Prickly pear cactus ( the green part ) is a Mexican dish they call Nopalitos. They peal it and cut it up, Looks like green beans. Popular with the older generation. Cheap food.. Don't know about the pear ( the purple thing on the end of the cactus ). Cows love the green part also. Hogs rut it up and chew on the roots for moisture. Plenty of it down here.

Years ago I ate candied prickly pear pears. Sticky and gooey and very very sweet. Almost the texture of kiwi fruit

A few years ago I was in Texas and some of the ranchers were burning the pastures to burn the needles off the castus so the cows could eat it. Is this still done? The cows really went after the pears. I did try a couple of the pears and they were ok.

kenny thomas":1iqs9gt9 said:
A few years ago I was in Texas and some of the ranchers were burning the pastures to burn the needles off the castus so the cows could eat it. Is this still done? The cows really went after the pears. I did try a couple of the pears and they were ok.

It is still done but you have to be careful not to burn the whole county up.

Avoiding the thorns on prickly pears is easy- avoiding the tiny, thin as a hair stickers at the base of the thorns presents a problem.

ga.prime":2558mcrf said:
Avoiding the thorns on prickly pears is easy- avoiding the tiny, thin as a hair stickers at the base of the thorns presents a problem.

Exactly!! I remember my grandmother fastidiously rubbing them off with a damp cloth. I also remember getting those fine hair like stickers in my fingers as a kid. They were a pain to get rid of.

Andrew

ga.prime":h7f09mji said:

Just don't rub your eyes or............never mind. :lol: :lol:

ROCKSPRINGS":17ctj7lo said:
ga.prime":17ctj7lo said:

Just don't rub your eyes or............never mind. :lol: :lol:

Fell into one once. Don't talk to me about fine stickers... If you take an old panty hose and kinda wipe at them, they will come out, for the most part...

ALACOWMAN":zbt1prtp said:
one things for sure if theres a way or place in he$# , for em to take root they can
I"m poured full strength Remedy on them, they begin to dry up and die and almost with their last gasp of energy they'll put out one dam little sprout and start all over.

i dug some up, and hauled em to another place to kill em... but they still kept sprouting up on top of the dead ones,,they will grow on rocks with just a small layer of dust on top of it :cowboy:

we have them up here and I haven't really tried it.. always thought about it... sounds like a lot of trouble for what it's worth... they probably aren't quite as plentiful up here

townfarmer":2c8c9b9y said:
Does anybody still eat pricly pears (comment in another thread on here got me thinking). I remember as a kid eating prickly pear with icecream. It used to be quite a popular thing. Never hear of it anymore. I think no-one can be bothered peeling and fiddling around with them. Do people eat them in other parts of the world??

Andrew
We eat them from time to time. I'll have to try them with ice cream.