Eating heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

cant ''fix em''(as in steer em) as easily so they gotta be kept away from the bull. little bit o extra werk. just a different mindset...

You can sure fix em. There are a number of big ranches that spayed any heifers they don't plan to use for replacements. it is fairly common in some areas. It is a mind set to me too. I almost always eat heifers because I can buy them for less (I am not cheap just thrifty). I can always buy those bigger yearling heifers that didn't breed for well under the price of a steer of the same size. A little time on feed and they eat just fine.

dieselbeef":mi6u6w63 said:
cant ''fix em''(as in steer em) as easily so they gotta be kept away from the bull. little bit o extra werk. just a different mindset...

Sure you can, around here a heifer can be spayed for roughly $5.00/head. Yes, it is a little bit of extra work, but it could pay off in the long run. I do understand about the mindset, though. It took me a while to get used to the idea of spaying heifers, too.

msscamp":p8mpx6ja said:
dieselbeef":p8mpx6ja said:

Sure you can, around here a heifer can be spayed for roughly $5.00/head. Yes, it is a little bit of extra work, but it could pay off in the long run. I do understand about the mindset, though. It took me a while to get used to the idea of spaying heifers, too.

I don't have the room to keep everyone separate and have some 1000-1100 lb yearling heifers I want to butcher later this fall. They have been in the herd with the bull and may be 3 or 4 months pregnant at butcher time. They will be in the cornstalks with the rest of the bunch fattening up. This is the first time I have heard about spaying heifers. Is there any problem butchering them or with meat quality after they are bred?

SRBeef":2c9bj3a0 said:
Is there any problem butchering them or with meat quality after they are bred?

Not really, it's just that most people get upset when they see that dead calf in the pile of guts.

Latest posts