Eating droppings.....

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hi all. I am new to the board and I have a problem.
I have two horses that just started eating their poo. Don't now why. I haven't changed their feeding schedule, amount or brand. Any idea what would cause them to start this?

Sorry I forgot to log in. I was guest. Oh It was suggested that they may be missing some minerals. They both have trace mineral blocks. Hasn't helped.

Most likely bored. Are they on pasture or in a pen? If they're penned up, consider buying a "filler type" hay they can eat most of the day. Pastured horses generally don't do that.

I had a horse that had been starved at an early age. She was in great condition while I had her but she ate the other horses fresh poop. I looked at it to see if it was full of grain and could not notice any. (I give my horses beet pulp and rolled oats) and discussed the situation with my vet who suggested she needed more fiber. So, I got some denghi hi-fi to top dress her feed of beet pulp and rolled oats and she subsequently stopped. !

Thanks
I put some objects in their corrals, Basketball, road cones, etc. It has helped.

They need more fiber in their diet. Give them free choice hay or put them on good pasture.

Anonymous":ghrwzry7 said:
Hi all. I am new to the board and I have a problem.
I have two horses that just started eating their poo. Don't now why. I haven't changed their feeding schedule, amount or brand. Any idea what would cause them to start this?

Latest posts