eat em up

Help Support CattleToday:

FlaAngus

Reaction score
I've got two char/angus steers that are pretty good. Our initial`weigh in is in 3 weeks. they are eating nearly 50 pounds a day apiece, should I try to cut back or full feed ahead?

Lord have mercy! When is the fair and what is your goal? I cannot imagine feeding ANYTHING that much feed. How much do they weigh now? Over fed, i.e. fat, steers do not do well, around here at least. Well fed, well conditioned and appropriate weight for structure does well.

They were 780 and 790 last week. I'll get some pics soon and we grind our own feed. Total cost is about $100 per ton to make feed, including growing and storing our own grain. They are not getting too fat but they're growin like weeds even in the 95-105 degree weather. Our weigh-in and fair is the first full week of Oct. and the final show/sale will be in the middle of Feb.

At that weight they should not be eating 50lbs of feed each. Our steers are bigger then that and they don't eat much and are gaining just fine in this hot Floida weather. What are you feeding them?

FlaAngus":10o9vbgw said:
They were 780 and 790 last week. I'll get some pics soon and we grind our own feed. Total cost is about $100 per ton to make feed, including growing and storing our own grain. They are not getting too fat but they're growin like weeds even in the 95-105 degree weather. Our weigh-in and fair is the first full week of Oct. and the final show/sale will be in the middle of Feb.

I would say you (and the steers) are in good shape. Evidently your ration is working well, and it's sure cheap enough. I would say cut back to about 20 -25 lbs./day each. At 3 lbs./day average gain, by the middle of February your steers will be right at 1300 lbs. Their ADG right now is probably in the 4 - 5 pound range.

If you have a Rate-of-Gain contest, just keep pushing them like crazy. Their intake and gain will slow down as they mature.

Dan

Latest posts