Easy way to figure calving dates.

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms":1rc13tq8 said:
All you do is subtract 3 months and add 10 days after you breed or observe a cow being breed.

I use the Select Sires calendar that provides the due date based on the average 283 day gestation period.

M-5":3338lwgo said:
are those months 30 days 31 days or 28 days (feb) and every 4 years how do you handle the 29days in feb ??
A few days one way or the other doesn't matter. Try it using today's date and see what you come up with, and compare to a breeding calculator....I did before I posted.

Bright Raven":1udm4cie said:
True Grit Farms":1udm4cie said:
All you do is subtract 3 months and add 10 days after you breed or observe a cow being breed.

I use the Select Sires calendar that provides the due date based on the average 283 day gestation period.
I do to, but you don't need to.

True Grit Farms":1oen8hev said:
M-5":1oen8hev said:
are those months 30 days 31 days or 28 days (feb) and every 4 years how do you handle the 29days in feb ??
A few days one way or the other doesn't matter. Try it using today's date and see what you come up with, and compare to a breeding calculator....I did before I posted.

I got an APP for that . plug in date it tells you when they come back in and projected calving date .

I use excel. I enter the breeding date formatted as "date', add 283 format as "number" and the answer is formatted as "date".
If you PM me your email I can email the chart I use.

M-5":w9rxsl2f said:

I sense you had aspirations of becoming a lawyer when you were a child. :shock:

M-5":1plsscew said:
True Grit Farms":1plsscew said:
M-5":1plsscew said:

I got an APP for that . plug in date it tells you when they come back in and projected calving date .
Soooo.... what's the app?

farmboy80":sbt2w936 said:
M-5":sbt2w936 said:
True Grit Farms":sbt2w936 said:

Soooo.... what's the app?

Its called , Cattle breeding calculator

Yeah thats the one I have - I think the guy told me he made it for his father who has long horns. May be 281 days or something.. But close enough for what I need. I asked if he could make it so you choose the gestation length, but he never seemed to get to it.

Supa Dexta":14vailsj said:
Yeah thats the one I have - I think the guy told me he made it for his father who has long horns. May be 281 days or something.. But close enough for what I need. I asked if he could make it so you choose the gestation length, but he never seemed to get to it.

Its pretty simple and you can save the data that you put in and email it too.

I always use a gestation calculator and record the estimated calving date on my oh-so anal & color coded spreadsheet. And it's rarely correct. Couple years ago I had one (1!) cow calve on the calculated date. Named her Bingo.

:yuck: Since I use CattleMax....when a cow has a calf I use that date a year away for her to calve again.....anything that goes longer than that is noticed and better straighten up next time. :)

1982vett":1gadwusb said:
:yuck: Since I use CattleMax....when a cow has a calf I use that date a year away for her to calve again.....anything that goes longer than that is noticed and better straighten up next time. :)
I use cattlemax. Since it was improved and has to done online I find the Excel way easier and quicker to access on the desk top

Latest posts