easy temper calf

Help Support CattleToday:

tucows

Reaction score
i was wondering if there is a easy going breed of cattle. we bought 2 calfs about a month ago and cant keep them darn things inside the fence.the littlest thing spooks em and ther gone. i had enough of that and had them sold.

so is it better to get a cow and let it calf or try to get one that was just weened.

i really want to do this but im running out of ideas.i have seen 3 day old calfs for sale that are scour vacinated, what wound be involved in bottle feeding and how long till you could stop this.

i only have about 1 1/2 acre fenced in area

There are exceptions to every rule, and I don't know the condition of your fences. Mine are horrible.

Herefords IMO will on average be the best tempered cattle.

You did right by getting rid of the fence challengers early! Any breed can be docile if they are handled correctly to begin with. The best thing to do is find a breeder that works with his cattle, and doesn't scare them into submission. There are a few breeds that are known for the gentler nature, and the Hereford is one of the best. You can calm calves down even if they are a bit older if you give them room (flight zone) or space up front. It takes patience, but eventually you can get them from being too spooky. Bottle calves are tricky. They can get sick easily. To get them strong, feed them with a bottle for about 6 weeks until they can tolerate hay, grass and feed, then wean them off the bottle. Bottle feeders usually take 2 bottles a day.

As far as my experience, cattle cross fences for two reasons, lack of food, or breeding. (other than being forced/chased) If animals have grass and water, and the bulls have cows, all is quiet on the front. (Bulls are fine w/o cows too, as long as the cows aren't in heat on the other side of an adjoining fence, or a strange bull ain't there either)

Well since you asked, I will offer my opinion. We have been really happy with the Piedmontese all around. They have a good temperment and are easy to handle. Of course we have had one nut case that we sent down the road. I believe that can happen in any breed. The Piedmontese have had good success in cross breeding from what I hear people say of their experiences and from my own observation.
I guess you need to observe for yourself and settle on what you prefer for you and your particular operation. It is a good idea to go and check out those breeds that you think you would be interested in. Go to a beef expo and talk to breeders.
Good luck in whatever you choose.

Latest posts