Easter Eggs

Help Support CattleToday:

jfont

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 2, 2004
Messages
566
Reaction score
0
Location
south central louisiana
Who pocks easter eggs?

Around here we'll die us each a dozen eggs and pock them point to point to see who's egg is the strongest. Which ever persons egg wins, wins the other persons egg. Everybody takes a turn pocking with everyone else that's over for easter dinner. Someone gets bragging rights for having the egg that can't be beat. It's a fun game that the kids enjoy and later on when most of the eggs are broken we'll peel them and make deviled eggs, potatoe salad, or pickle them. It's a tradition we've been doing for years in my area and I was just wondering if it was just a regional thing or everybody does it?
 

CopeMan

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 20, 2004
Messages
1,108
Reaction score
0
Location
Tennessee
Some people do it around here, Ive heard. We always just get together at the grandparents house and hide eggs.
 

TXBobcat

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 15, 2004
Messages
782
Reaction score
0
Location
China Spring, TX
jfont":2cvk1ehm said:
Who pocks easter eggs?

Around here we'll die us each a dozen eggs and pock them point to point to see who's egg is the strongest. Which ever persons egg wins, wins the other persons egg.

Don't guess I've heard of this? How exactly is it done? Sounds like something my kids would enjoy.
 

la4angus

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 31, 2004
Messages
5,063
Reaction score
0
Location
South La
jfont":28sf07gp said:
Who pocks easter eggs?

Around here we'll die us each a dozen eggs and pock them point to point to see who's egg is the strongest. Which ever persons egg wins, wins the other persons egg. Everybody takes a turn pocking with everyone else that's over for easter dinner. Someone gets bragging rights for having the egg that can't be beat. It's a fun game that the kids enjoy and later on when most of the eggs are broken we'll peel them and make deviled eggs, potatoe salad, or pickle them. It's a tradition we've been doing for years in my area and I was just wondering if it was just a regional thing or everybody does it?
This is a tradition that has been going on the "Acadiana" area of Louisiana since it was settled by the French Settlers from Nova Scotia and then from France. jfont describes it very well, and TXBobcat is right; the kids do get a big kick out of it and the adults do also.
 

Beefy

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 2, 2004
Messages
8,754
Reaction score
0
Location
Georgia
so basically you just each take an egg and push the points together until one cracks?
define pocking
 

la4angus

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 31, 2004
Messages
5,063
Reaction score
0
Location
South La
Beefy":2rb5w1tk said:
so basically you just each take an egg and push the points together until one cracks?
define pocking
Each person takes their egg, one holds their egg point end up. Another lightly taps the the egg with its point end. If one doesn't break the roles are reversed until an egg is cracked. Just boil a few eggs and try it. The kids will have a ball.
 
OP
J

jfont

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 2, 2004
Messages
566
Reaction score
0
Location
south central louisiana
Like La said, one holds an egg, as you would a can of coke, with the pointed end up and the other person holds theirs with their thumb and fist three fingers and lightly taps their egg point against the other person's egg point until one of the eggs break. The looser will usually ask for a rematch. They'll take a new egg out of their carton and try again with the roles reversed and the other person does the pocking.
My son is 2 1/2 years old and doesn't know the meaning of "lightly tap" yet. He comes down full force and turns both eggs into mush! It's a funny thing to watch.
 

Campground Cattle

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 24, 2004
Messages
2,533
Reaction score
0
Location
East Texas
jfont":7m6x08fz said:
Like La said, one holds an egg, as you would a can of coke, with the pointed end up and the other person holds theirs with their thumb and fist three fingers and lightly taps their egg point against the other person's egg point until one of the eggs break. The looser will usually ask for a rematch. They'll take a new egg out of their carton and try again with the roles reversed and the other person does the pocking.
My son is 2 1/2 years old and doesn't know the meaning of "lightly tap" yet. He comes down full force and turns both eggs into mush! It's a funny thing to watch.

Well neighbor sounds like ya'll on the wrong side of the Sabine had a great Easter as we did. Hadn't seen you around the boards much lately.have you and LA4 had enough rain. My last calf was born with web feet and quacks.
 
OP
J

jfont

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 2, 2004
Messages
566
Reaction score
0
Location
south central louisiana
I was lucky with the rain. I aeriated and fertilized my pastures before the rain came and when it did it wasn't a heavy rain. One of those long slow ones. It gave my fertilizer time to soak in. I hate to fertilize before a gully washer comes through, fertilizer runs off, and the grass in the ditch ends up greener than in my pasture. I think it rain alot more further south of me and I saw Texas caught a good bit.
 

Campground Cattle

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 24, 2004
Messages
2,533
Reaction score
0
Location
East Texas
jfont":30djxsm6 said:
I was lucky with the rain. I aeriated and fertilized my pastures before the rain came and when it did it wasn't a heavy rain. One of those long slow ones. It gave my fertilizer time to soak in. I hate to fertilize before a gully washer comes through, fertilizer runs off, and the grass in the ditch ends up greener than in my pasture. I think it rain alot more further south of me and I saw Texas caught a good bit.

Yea I need to fertilize bad trying to rent a submarine to pull the fertilizer buggy. We are 14 inches ahead for the year I haven't been able to put a tractor in my bottom pastures since Nov. As soon as it drys out around August definitely going to rework drainage system in my bottom pastures.
 

Latest posts

Top