east texas coyotes problems

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

please ring in with any info on coyotes in southeast texas........we have lost two calfs ......i know for sure both were to coyotes........now others in areas are losing some calfs.......all info will be helful.........thanks

.22-250 is good coyote medicine- Does Texas have a predator control program? Maybe one of the other Texans on the board can answer that. Montana has a state program where if you start having a problem they'll bring a trapper and helicoptor in and thin a few out.

This year with all the snow we have, the coyote hunters on snowmobiles have been really getting lots- which is good because they were getting to be quite a problem.

I am in N. E. Texas. We see most of our coyotes in March during mating season. Have not had any problems with them but we will kill any we see.

Get a longhorn cow.. they do not tolerate coyotes or stray dogs for that matter. .. in fact they will kill them.. I have also heard that a mule in the herd can help.. I just dont have personal experience with that.

I am in East Texas, and have a ton of coyotes around here, and have 5 different pastures.. I see my herds chase those critters from one pasture to another, with the next herd waiting to take over. They are either chased out of here or they meet their demise.

Doesn't need to be lh. Our old Granny (blk Angus) will run them down, she now has all of the others in the same mode of operation. Coyotes at a distance she just keeps an eye on. Any dog within sight comes under attack.

dun

Dyann":2dtr4ko1 said:
Get a longhorn cow.. they do not tolerate coyotes or stray dogs for that matter. .. in fact they will kill them.. I have also heard that a mule in the herd can help.. I just dont have personal experience with that.

I am in East Texas, and have a ton of coyotes around here, and have 5 different pastures.. I see my herds chase those critters from one pasture to another, with the next herd waiting to take over. They are either chased out of here or they meet their demise.

We use to have coyote & wild dog problems. Not any more we have horses, donkeys, & llamas. Get some of them. I prefer donkeys they are the cheapest & they don't mess around. Llamas can be a little timid & horses tend to only chase them for fun. They all get rid of them though. We just got done trading 3 of our donkeys for a registered arabian down to a guy in georgia. They had coyote problems but not now!
Ellie May

Dun.. that old granny must be one of those Angus with a little Longhorn blood in her.......... :shock: .. just kidding .. thought I would get a ya a little :lol:

We had an old cow last year that had been pestered all night by coyotes and when we went down the bank to check on her and the calf grandpa ended up rolling over backwards a few times with a nice bruise from mamma's head. She was usually very well behaved cow, the coyotes just riled her up that much. We ended up going coyote hunting later that weekend...

Here in South Central Texas I see (and hear) LOTS and lots of coyotes daily, and an occasional bobcat & badger. (I run a very rural mail route) I've also noticed that many folks have a donkey or two in with thier (whatever it may be) herds. Here around our place there are 5 different 'colonies' that will start howling & yipping back & forth. They don't bother anything directly up by the house; but I can imagine if it was a lean year for prey it'd be different. Good way to 'target practice' I think....

ONE OF MY NEIGHBORS HAS A DONKEY AND HE SAYS THEY KEEP THEM OUT.

MY OTHER NEIGHBOR SOAKS WIENERS IN ANTIFREEZE AND STICKS THEM ON BUSHES OUTSIDE HIS FENCE LINE. HE CLAIMS THIS SLOWED THEM DOWN. (NOTE: THIS MAY ALSO KILL YOUR NEIGHBORS DOG IF HE COMES BY, BUT A TRAP WOULDN'T BE GOOD FOR HIM EITHER.)

HAPPY HUNTING

They were so bad here at one point in the fall they would wait at the edge of the woods at feeding time. Started bringing a gun with me and after a few weeks of getting shot and shot at I haven't seen one since the middle of Dec.

Oldtimer":v1cgbote said:
.22-250 is good coyote medicine- Does Texas have a predator control program? Maybe one of the other Texans on the board can answer that. Montana has a state program where if you start having a problem they'll bring a trapper and helicoptor in and thin a few out.

This year with all the snow we have, the coyote hunters on snowmobiles have been really getting lots- which is good because they were getting to be quite a problem.

Yes, the .22-250 is excellent medicine. That, or a plain old 30.06 is my weapon of choice. It's a gratifying thing to drive past a place and see coyotes hanging from the fence posts. Even more gratifying to wire them up yourself after a good day or night of calling.

Texas does have a program like you describe. Just like anything else, where you end up on the waiting list can have as much to do with politics as with need.

Craig-TX

Feeding a donk costs a lot more then a couple of rounds down range.

dun

Ellie May":2kwrw745 said:
GET A DONKEY!! THEY ARE THE FRIENDLIEST WAY OF GETTING THEM AWAW FROM YOUR PRIDE POSESSIONS!
Ellie May

I bought a donkey a couple of years back. Paid $125.00 for him. After about three or four weeks he started chasing my calves around the pasture and the day he chased them through a gate is the day I took him to the sale barn. This was on a Saturday afternoon. The man ask for his papers, to which I replied, I was new at this and didn't know what he meant. He said Coggins Papers and I would have to get them from a vet. The nearest vet that could do it was about 40 miles away so I took off! When the vet finished I paid him his $50.00 for the test and drove back to the sale barn. It was late in the sale and the guy at the sale barn said all the horse and donkey buyers had left. I had to keep him at the barn until the following Tuesday's sale. Tuesday came and I sold my donkey. He brought me $45.00, before commission, ins., feed, and etc. came out of it. I brought home under $40.00 for what was now a $125.00 + $50.00 donkey. That was my first and last experience with a donkey! Now I just use a .22 to keep the coyotes away.

They don't yield much, but donks make pretty good "missouri moose".
In this area any coyotes that get wacked are usually left hanging on the fence. It's surprising what a deterent that is for other coyotes.
Neighbor got a donk and a llama to acts as guards for his herd. The donk chased calves and the llama killed one cow and almost killed another before he was corrected, permanently.

dun

jw":q118sdzn said:
I bought a donkey a couple of years back. Paid $125.00 for him. After about three or four weeks he started chasing my calves around the pasture and the day he chased them through a gate is the day I took him to the sale barn. This was on a Saturday afternoon. The man ask for his papers, to which I replied, I was new at this and didn't know what he meant. He said Coggins Papers and I would have to get them from a vet. The nearest vet that could do it was about 40 miles away so I took off! When the vet finished I paid him his $50.00 for the test and drove back to the sale barn. It was late in the sale and the guy at the sale barn said all the horse and donkey buyers had left. I had to keep him at the barn until the following Tuesday's sale. Tuesday came and I sold my donkey. He brought me $45.00, before commission, ins., feed, and etc. came out of it. I brought home under $40.00 for what was now a $125.00 + $50.00 donkey. That was my first and last experience with a donkey! Now I just use a .22 to keep the coyotes away.

7.62x39 SKS!!! Tried the Donks,Llamas, Still have 2 longhorns a big German Shepherd and a bigger one too!. SKS and a 30 rd. clip does the best job. Of course you have to be ready for the Wiley things.

God help the dog or coyote that gets into the pasture with my angus cows. I swear they play cow ball with them rolling them all over the pasture and then make grease spots out of them. Other small critters are fair game also if the cows think they are threating their calves. Why hunt the coyotes and deprived the cows of the fun of killing any foolish coyote that gets into their pasture or near a calf.

pat

Latest posts