east texas coyotes problems

Help Support CattleToday:

dun said:
They don't yield much, but donks make pretty good "missouri moose".
In this area any coyotes that get wacked are usually left hanging on the fence. It's surprising what a deterent that is for other coyotes.
Neighbor got a donk and a llama to acts as guards for his herd. The donk chased calves and the llama killed one cow and almost killed another before he was corrected, permanently.

dun

My favorite llama. (A permanently corrected one)

thanks for all who rang in...........these are not stupid creatures.......i have waited on them with a model 94 in hand ..........must be up wind.......about the angus blood line........all my cows & bull are brangus but are all 1st calf moma's.........so i dont think they have a good teacher to show 'em have to take care of these dang coyotes............some have them on the run as ever late afternoon we have gun shots.........we will get them...........thanks

I live in Central Texas, and we routinely "thin out" the coyotes in this area, so that we don't have problems with them. Coyotes are generally only a problem if you have a large pack of them. We've been here for 10 years, and have never lost a calf to a coyote.

Are you sure it's not dogs? We had a second ranch that was just outside a small town, and we lost two calves before we realized it was neighboring dogs that were killing them. Needless to say, we also took care of that problem.

In Texas you can shoot predators if they are attaching your livestock. If you don't want to do it yourself, check with some of the local hunters. A lot of times you'll be able to find someone that would be happy to shoot them for you.

I don't know where you got your information. I could see a donkeys killing a calf, but a llama killing a cow. Whoa!!! More like the cow killing a llama. Llamas are very very shy. They are too small to kill a cow, unless it was a mini cow that was sick & couldn't walk even then I don't think so. And about the donkeys obvisiously the people who had calves die didn't know much about donkeys.
Ellie May

Yeah dogs work good too. We got about 7 of them. They keep em' away from the house & the other animals-horses, donkeys, llamas, keep em' away from the stock.
Ellie May

I watched , rather saw the llama knock the cow down by striking it's head with it's front feet, then when the cow was down it continued striking at her head and kicking her. The other cow we didn;t see attacked but the damage to the head was consistant.
Asmcu as you love them, llamas can be bad news.

dun

Ellie May":gwu0bzsj said:
I don't know where you got your information. I could see a donkeys killing a calf, but a llama killing a cow. Whoa!!! More like the cow killing a llama. Llamas are very very shy. They are too small to kill a cow, unless it was a mini cow that was sick & couldn't walk even then I don't think so. And about the donkeys obvisiously the people who had calves die didn't know much about donkeys.
Ellie May

Even though I've never seen it happen that's hard to believe....not saying your a liar, cause I certainly don't wanna start a fight. Cause normally I agree with Dun, but it must of been a really huge male llama against a mini cow that was very sick. Llamas normally are very easy to take care of & aren't very aggressive, unless they were abused maybe that was the case?? I wish more animals would act like llamas, ours all you have to do is tell them where to go normally no hassles they go where their suppose to. They normally stay away from the large animals except when eating.
Ellie May

Large evil tempered male that had been allowed to run loose with no contact with any other animals for several years. Cow was protecting her calf.
I wouldn't condemn all llamas, but from th few that I've been exposed to they were pretty useless. But 30 years ago I had a friend that hiked the pacific crest trail (what there was of it) from Mexico to Canada. He used several llamas as pack animals. He was pleased with the animals for that useage.

dun

Ellie May":24ws2hpr said:
Even though I've never seen it happen that's hard to believe....not saying your a liar, cause I certainly don't wanna start a fight. Cause normally I agree with Dun, but it must of been a really huge male llama against a mini cow that was very sick. Llamas normally are very easy to take care of & aren't very aggressive, unless they were abused maybe that was the case?? I wish more animals would act like llamas, ours all you have to do is tell them where to go normally no hassles they go where their suppose to. They normally stay away from the large animals except when eating.
Ellie May

That must of been a huge male! Our biggest llama is only about 500 pounds at the most. But I might could see it if the llama hadn't ever been trained or fooled with our's are puppy dogs, I just wish other animals were that way. To herd them in you just tell them where to go & point your finger they go. It's really fascinating.
Ellie May

Are you sure they are coyotes or feral dogs I have had problems with both in East Texas. Donkeys work better than a mule, mules have a tendancy to be mean to calves. You can check the tracks a coyote leaves two toe nail prints off the middle toes a dog all four nails leave a track. longhorns seem to be pretty rough on dogs and coyotes also.