Easiest Way To Synch?

Help Support CattleToday:

LoveMoo11

Reaction score
I am hoping to synch my 6 cows within the next few weeks. All I have on hand right now is lute. I was thinking I would give them a round then give them another dose in 2 weeks, then breed. Is that the easiest way to do it? The reason I ask is that I'm at school so I'm not always around and it would be best to have them all come into heat around the same time so if I am not there my grandfather won't have to be watching for heats constantly. Is this the best way to do it or should I do it differently or invest in some different tools?

I have used a lot of different methods and I always go back to one shot of prostoglandin. I give a shot on Wednesday night, cows start cycling Friday night with most cycling on Saturday. By Sunday most are done cycling. Works well for someone who is working out. It doesn't get them all, and requires heat detection, but is simple and effective.

We use CIDR inserts and lute. Gets them all cycling together. Insert CIDR, on day 7 pull CIDR, give a shot of lute. Should all cycle in about 3 days. The protocol listed by the CIDR instructions says to give the lute at day 6, and pull the insert on day 7. We do both on day 7 just to save another run through the chute, and it seems to work fine. I suppose in a dairy operation it would be easy enough to do in a stanchion.

What is your definition of easiest?
-fewest times through the chute
-fewest drugs
-least amount of heat detection

There are protocols to fit almost all situations. Given the situation you have described, I would also use 2-shot prostaglandin with one difference. I would breed those that come in heat after the 1st shot, then only give the 2nd shot to those not already bred. The down side to this protocol (or any prostaglandin only protocol) is that your synchrony will not be extremely tight and will take considerable heat detection for 3-5 days. If tight synchrony is desired you should consider one of the CIDR protocols.

GnRH followed one week later by Lutalyse will give somewhat tighter synchrony than 2 shot lutalyse.

Day 1 ---- CIDR insert + 2cc Cystorelin
Day 7 ---- Pull CIDR moderate cows 5 cc Lut large frame cows 6 cc Lut
Should all be in within the next 80 hours
detect heat and breed am pm rules

Latest posts