Easiest calving breed/crossbreed?

Help Support CattleToday:

NorthernIowa

Reaction score
I'm getting this started just to see what is out there for ideas on what breeds and/or crossbreeds are BEST for low birthweights and calving ease, without sacrificing low weaning weights, yearling weights, and rates of gain. Also need hardy critters that can stand up to Iowa winters outdoors. At the same time, any suggestions to stay AWAY from? Easy calving, low maintenance, healthy, and fast growing is the ultimate goal of any cow/calf-er, but what can get me there the quickest?

without a doubt saler.they are extremely hardy and have great legs.mother great and milk a ton but bag always looks good.saler bulls are aggressive breeders and work n the heat or cold.salers have the largest pelvic region of any breed.some say they are wild but i have not seen it.i think this may have been true when they were first brought to the u.s which wasnt very long ago,but much of that has been bred out of them.they also dress out well with not alot of extra fat cover that u dont need.

NorthernIowa":1mhj0avv said:
I'm getting this started just to see what is out there for ideas on what breeds and/or crossbreeds are BEST for low birthweights and calving ease, without sacrificing low weaning weights, yearling weights, and rates of gain. Also need hardy critters that can stand up to Iowa winters outdoors.
Oh man........here we go again :)

At the same time, any suggestions to stay AWAY from? Easy calving, low maintenance, healthy, and fast growing is the ultimate goal of any cow/calf-er, but what can get me there the quickest?
Money will get you there quickest.......lots of it........

Latest posts