Earthquake!

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
Anyone in Evansville In. (I think)? They had a 5.4 earthquake early this morning and we were woke up by it also and we are 20 miles west of Nashville Tn.!!! My wife woke me up and thought someone was breaking into our house as it was a mild shaking sensation that rattle the house for about 10-15 seconds. Pretty weird, I can't remember ever feeling any kind of quake in this area before.

I lived in California when the "big quake" happened. I don't ever care to feel another earthquake in my life again! Every day there were small aftershocks and everyone made my stomach sink. If you've never felt an earthquake it's like nothing you can even imagine. There's absolutely no way to get away from it, I still have nightmares about it from time to time. Leaving California was one of the best things I've ever done and I don't even want to go back to visit.

sidney411":ysa08k8f said:
I lived in California when the "big quake" happened. I don't ever care to feel another earthquake in my life again! Every day there were small aftershocks and everyone made my stomach sink. If you've never felt an earthquake it's like nothing you can even imagine. There's absolutely no way to get away from it, I still have nightmares about it from time to time. Leaving California was one of the best things I've ever done and I don't even want to go back to visit.

No offense to anyone from Cali but I can think of many more reasons to leave that state besides earthquakes. :p

tncattle":2sv97ufj said:
No offense to anyone from Cali but I can think of many more reasons to leave that state besides earthquakes. :p

I'll go along with that. You actually get kind of blase' about earthuakes after a while. In the Mojave desert we had them regularly, in Iceland there were several a week. You just ignore them after a while.

I planted 28 peonys along the driveway last night so was dead to the world until my 12 y/o came down FREAKED out ... shes having a sleepover with friends tonight and they're watching scary movies.. I thought "great...she thinks her bed is moving like the Exorcist"... I told her it was an earthquake just to give her something to blame it on... as it turns out it WAS an earthquake!!! Husband didn't feel it either. I'm glad they're saying no real damage anywhere. We're north of St. Louis.

Ha! Earthquakes are no joke, but neither are tornadoes, hurricanes, blizzards or wildfires. I guess you get used to what you got. We should be getting a big one out here at any time and one of the worst places to be is in a crowded city when it hits b/c of loss of transportation, fires, broken gas lines, etc. I used to live in Northern Cali on the coast, where there were small earthquakes every day. It was redwood country and beautiful but I couldn't stay. Besides the threat of the big one, can you spell tsunami? Hope you all weathered yours okay.

You ought to come join us in the Pacific Northwest (no, not really :) where we have earthquakes and volcanoes. We have a nice view of Mt. St. Helens and its blown top from our driveway (as if the cows really care). And some up the way to our North also have a nice view of Mt. Rainer and Mt. Adams.

Yeah, I know, I'll try to get a picture, but I'm just not as good at taking nice shots as some on these boards are.

--Marc

I live in the middle of west tn. and I did not feel the quake, but live in ca. for years and felt many. I was young in them days and thought the quakes were a blast. Most, when they think of Ca. they think of San fan. gays or La. gangs and it leaves a bad opion, but I have been many places in this big old world and Ca. has the best and worst of nearly everywhere. Beautiful oceans , mountains and some real down to earth good people.. I think you can show me the prettiest place in you state and I can show you one that is equal in Ca.

We got woke up to one (4.6 about 50 miles away) in 2003. The rattling noise made by the handles on the furniture woke me up and then i felt the shaking.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the blue ridge mountain range one of the largest faults in the US? Just hasn't been active.

Angus/Brangus":usjz12c5 said:
Wewild":usjz12c5 said:
We got woke up to one (4.6 about 50 miles away) in 2003. The rattling noise made by the handles on the furniture woke me up and then i felt the shaking.

WW, are you sure it was an earthquake that was rattlin your handles!!!! We're talking the South now. :nod:

We woke up at the same time.

http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/eq_depot/2003/eq_030429/

We're about 150 miles north of the quake and it woke us up. Only felt the last 5 or 10 seconds. My first thought was that something had exploded nearby so I checked outside but didn't see anything unusual. Went back in and told my wife I thought it might have been an earthquake so we turned the radio on. About 20 min later WDWS in Champaign started reporting it.

Yeap, was awake anyway at 4:30 am when it shook the house, thought it was a train at first. Also after shock, registered a 4.? at around 11:00 am. lived in CA and been through earthquakes before, still do not like them. This one originated from the Wabash fault per the news. donna

Jogeephus":4eavvk4n said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the blue ridge mountain range one of the largest faults in the US? Just hasn't been active.

I hope not. I live right smack dab in the middle of it! They tell me there was a quake here a couple years ago, but darned if I felt it.

The New Madrid fault is the largest East of the rockies. But do not get to worried it is not the same as the Plate movements of Cal. It is a very old fault zone that was active long before the Rockies rose... But it does move from time to time, Like when Reelfoot was made...

cfpinz":1lid3fbk said:
Jogeephus":1lid3fbk said:

I hope not. I live right smack dab in the middle of it! They tell me there was a quake here a couple years ago, but darned if I felt it.

Seems like the last big one was in 1886 and it killed several people. Studied it in history and teacher commented that most people don't realize we have such a big fault on the east coast. But I'm sure there is more to all this earthquake stuff than the teacher knew cause we were still writing on the walls with burnt sticks. :oops:

Jogeephus":3ose1ke3 said:
But I'm sure there is more to all this earthquake stuff than the teacher knew cause we were still writing on the walls with burnt sticks. :oops:

Stone tablets and chisels all used up?

dun":21oil40j said:
Jogeephus":21oil40j said:
But I'm sure there is more to all this earthquake stuff than the teacher knew cause we were still writing on the walls with burnt sticks. :oops:

Stone tablets and chisels all used up?

I don't think iron was discovered till much later. Googled it and found there was a big earthquake in 1816 that killed 60 people in Charleston SC. This piece of trivia always stuck in my head as you don't think of earthquakes on the east coast.