Early Winter?

Help Support CattleToday:

Summer is still holding on here (MO). Had a couple nice days last week but we're looking at 90s every day this week.

It's been cooler at night and the humidity is down so it's not too bad, but still warm for mid-September.

Wow, Rafter S, they got that forecast way wrong, uh? Im in Milam County and looking at kissing 100 degrees this week.

CB, same here - our hummers hit hard for several weeks and then last Thursday they all left. We've had one or two come by every day, but I think they are just stragglers.

Wow, Rafter S, they got that forecast way wrong, uh? Im in Milam County and looking at kissing 100 degrees this week.

CB, same here - our hummers hit hard for several weeks and then last Thursday they all left. We've had one or two come by every day, but I think they are just stragglers.
Next week looks promising. We have a day that shows high of 90, low of 65, humidity in the 40s. That's going to be nice.

Boy howdy, do we have different ideas on what nice weather is!
Me too. I will take something between 10 & 0 over a 90 degree day any day of the week and twice on Sunday. It is 38 on the porch this morning. The forecast says 74 for the high. That is much closer to nice weather.

Last edited:
Invest 98L ...
Well I triedā€¦.made a round in 3 different patches. None are worth the time, expense, and wear and tear of cutting. Just to thin. Might have made 3/4 of a roll to the acre. Left the gates open after I pulled out of the patches.

Like I said, I tried.

I've been seeing big flocks of black birds (not Blackbirds) moving thru this area. Since I'm new here, I have no idea if they are migratory or avian residents that are suddenly stirred up over something but they weren't around during the summer months.

If the sun is shining and still 20 in the a.m and between 40-50 for the high is perfect. Add 5 degrees if it is cloudy or windy 10 if she is blowing hard. That is a nice day!

Well I triedā€¦.made a round in 3 different patches. None are worth the time, expense, and wear and tear of cutting. Just to thin. Might have made 3/4 of a roll to the acre. Left the gates open after I pulled out of the patches.

Like I said, I tried.
That August moisture we got is gone. Last couple days hit 100 typical for here, Sunday night in the 50's for a week with no rain in site.
Everything a cow bites off now ain't coming back till next spring.

Like I said, I tried.
Go cut the rest of it!

There's guys here baling half a bale to the acre. There just ain't none....

It's expensive but it beats the heck out of a Snowball! And if it'll make rain, it's definitely worth it. Try harder dernit!

We had a nice unexpected rain last evening. The kids and grandkids were over for a rock picking party. When it started raining, everyone smiled and kepta pickin'.
The ryegrass I broadcast in August is smiling too.B1FC0093-1FB8-40E6-B2E9-E547C336F5DC.jpeg

Oops. That wasn't a picture of the ryegrass. It was a picture of the not rocks. Here's the rocks

Attachments

• 76A0BC93-1F6F-486C-9F1A-B1035AE0D6F9.jpeg
    76A0BC93-1F6F-486C-9F1A-B1035AE0D6F9.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 5
Just pondering while waiting on the sun, I think I'd have been a great slave master.
Today, all of mine were white. It was a mix of young boys and girls. We all took turns picking rocks and driving the tractor.
The worst part was forcing them to listen to an album of Barry McGuire on a loop. When ole Barry first started singing, they all looked constipated. Couple hours later they were all singing along. Who knew?

I fed them good, and they'll all be joining me this morning, voluntarily, after I wake their sleepy heads.

Go cut the rest of it!

There's guys here baling half a bale to the acre. There just ain't none....

It's expensive but it beats the heck out of a Snowball! And if it'll make rain, it's definitely worth it. Try harder dernit!
It's worth more to me in the field than in the barn.

Fuel
Wear and tear on equipment
Time
Labor
Fertilization
Plant health

Totally uneconomical for anyone to feed to a cow at the price it would take to get me to cut. I've got barns full of hay from times of plenty for such occasions. It can rain on cut hay if it wants to. Plenty of people around me do spend a lot to fertilize and have to cut to recoup some of that.

I've been seeing big flocks of black birds (not Blackbirds) moving thru this area. Since I'm new here, I have no idea if they are migratory or avian residents that are suddenly stirred up over something but they weren't around during the summer months.
Grackles. Huge flocks of them move through Texas.

Latest posts