Early weight gain breeds

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I live in a small town in Ky where the only thing that sales goo on the comm. market are Angus and Black & white face cross. I, as of this moment have no cattle but have been around them all my life. I would like to get started off on the right foot, with a good heard...however I would like to see some gains on my ivestment within te nextcouple of years. To do this in my area I need a fast growing (to 500lbs) breed that is largly black dominant in color. Does anyone have any opinions on any cross. Sim x Gelbviegh or Salers for size and color, Angus x Brahman or Beefmaster. I know there must be a dozen other breed out there that might work...Does anyone have any good ideas?

Chris Before I did anything I would talk to your buyers and find out what they prefer.Whatever breed you decide on make sure they raise good calves.That will ensure the buyers will be looking for them.

[email protected]

I would recommend any of the following:

BeefmasterXBlack Simmental, Brangus, BrangusXBaldy, AngusXSimmental, BeefmasterXAngus

you can put a good black bull on almost any breed of cow (of good quality)and get a desirable calf so as far as cows go that depends on your preference, buyer preference, and availability. buyers here dont seem to care what they are as long as they are black and long. last year, here (GA), the popular thing to do was to cross angus and simmental.

This isn't quite as simple as it appears. While the British breeds mature earlier and at a lighter weight then continentals, the cow part of the equation is the first thing to focus on. You need highly fertile, good milking easy calving cows to take advantage of the potential that your bull selection puts in. So, a good crossbred cow, hald British half Continetal from maternal breeds. Hereford, Shorthorn, Angus for the Brit side and Gelbvieh or Simmenthal for the continental side. Those crossbred cows bred to a high weaning and yearling weight black Angus bull will put money in your pocket. But the key is to start with good quality animals in the first place. It can be done, but it's awfully hard and time consuming to make a "silk purse from a sows ear". If you can find some good crossbred cows with either a proven track record or crossbred heifers from a known quality breeding program you can really jumpstart your own program.

dun

> I live in a small town in Ky where
> the only thing that sales goo on
> the comm. market are Angus and
> Black & white face cross. I,
> as of this moment have no cattle
> but have been around them all my
> life. I would like to get started
> off on the right foot, with a good
> heard...however I would like to
> see some gains on my ivestment
> within te nextcouple of years. To
> do this in my area I need a fast
> growing (to 500lbs) breed that is
> largly black dominant in color.
> Does anyone have any opinions on
> any cross. Sim x Gelbviegh or
> Salers for size and color, Angus x
> Brahman or Beefmaster. I know
> there must be a dozen other breed
> out there that might work...Does
> anyone have any good ideas?

To add to what Dun said...percent calf weaned per cow exposed is 10 times more important to profitability than anything else for the cow/calf producer. Next most important to profitability is getting that done at a low cost. Here is something for you 'heavier weaning weight is more profitable' group...I've seen it proven with actual sell prices that the extra weight of going from a 450 lb. calf to a 550 lb or 650 lb calf, you are only being paid about $.35/lb for the added weight. Can you add those extra pounds for $.35/lb? Do the math!

My favorite cattle saying...If profit isn't your motive for owning cattle, it really doesn't matter what you do.

[email protected]

you're into the Black stuff, but Baldy X Charolais will give amazing claves, maybe you should try it with Limo, Black if that's your preference

> I live in a small town in Ky where
> the only thing that sales goo on
> the comm. market are Angus and
> Black & white face cross. I,
> as of this moment have no cattle
> but have been around them all my
> life. I would like to get started
> off on the right foot, with a good
> heard...however I would like to
> see some gains on my ivestment
> within te nextcouple of years. To
> do this in my area I need a fast