Early Weaning

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
Seems like this year there'd probably be a fair number of folks considering weaning earlier than normal, especially since the pastures haven't been to great this year, and feed prices are high too, considering those who have to start feeding earlier because their pastures are shot already. It's risky having to go into winter/early spring calving season with thin cows, and of course having a calf on for the average time of 205 days, plus or minus, it's a good chance that producers are going to end up with some thin cows.

Reason I mention this is because I've just come back from attending a class on body condition scoring, and it touched base with early weaning and the impact it has on the body condition of cows and heifers versus the average weaning time. So from what I learned early weaning at 132 days doesn't affect the calf in rumen functionality and carcass merit when they are finished for slaughter. And its better for the cow and/or heifer in that she has time to put back weight lossed when having a growing calf nursing off her to get through winter and have good BCS into calving season. Reduces feed requirement for her by 25% when she weans her calf off early (or when we wean it off for her), and its more beneficial for heifers having their first or second calf because they're still growing, and have these huge requirements, in comparison to mature cows, to put down enough milk to grow a large-enough calf.

Still gotta think about the costs of creep feeding those young calves, but even then when those calves at the same age are still on their mommas to be weaned at 205 days, they still probably have to be creep fed becuase of depletion in pastures and the more requirements the calf has on momma to consume enough feed to feed her calf. Early weaning seems to go against the saying "More milk more calf" but then again, its just something to think about.

It's a hot topic, that's for sure. I've heard people going both ways for all the reasons you mentioned. I'm probably going to end up early weaning myself.

156 days is the youngest of the weaned calves. some of those calves seem to be more effcient at putting weight on than some of the older ones.

I usually try to wean around 6- 7 months of age, regardless of feed costs, or the way my pastures look. I just think its best to leave them on the cows until that age adn let them get all the milk they can. I know some around here that even wait until 8 months to wean, but to me, thats a little bit long.
I dont usually worry too much about the cows getting back into shape, because they always do, as long as they are provided what they need. IE.. good grass/hay, plenty of protein (liquid, or otherwise) and plenty of loose minerals.

I'm weaning calves early. My thoughts.
Short of grazing.
Will take less feed for the dry cows.
It's cheaper to feed the calves, then to feed cows to produce milk.
I'm better off putting the feed directly into the calves.

Latest posts