• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Early weaning

Jane

Reaction score
Hi, I have some calves that are currently between 3-4 months old. The feed is not great and I have started feeding out as I have notice one or 2 of the cows showing a rib or more than normal. Would I be better off weaning them now, or is it best to hang on a month or 2 longer, with extra feed.

Also, what are the recommended and kindest weaning methods (next door paddock etc).

Thank you.

Campground Cattle

Reaction score
Jane I don't know where your located and how much more winter your looking to endure. Pull the calves and sell them feeding out of a sack is like a second mortagge on your house. I have had great success with liquid feed and good hay . My cows winter great. If you happen to live in the East Texas area I can put you in touch with my supplier. Cost are .07 to .09 cents per head per day. If your intent on keeping this crop of calves put a least two fences or hot wire between the cow and calves

Jane

Reaction score
Thank you Campgound Cattle, that is a kind offer - however, I am a wee bit far away......I'm in NZ so am just coming out of summer and looking twds winter!! We are getting a bit of feed growing now - but where I am we are usually summer dry.

THanks for your help.

jcarkie

Reaction score
if you are out of pasture then weaning early is an option. when there is a drought or something. it would be cheaper to feed the cows a little and let them raise the calves. for another 3 months. if you wean you will have to feed the calves anyway and mom will do a much better job. there is no easy way to wean it is stressful on the cows and calves, joining fences is suppose to be the best, but, i wean mine away because that is easier for me about 48 hours and they get settled down. out of sight out of mind.

Jane

Reaction score
Thank for your advice jcarkie - makes good sense.

Campground Cattle it's good to hear that you have some NZ bloodlines! I have a Hereford bull who has a Braxton great-grand father.

I have just about made up my mind to wean at a later time 5-6 mos. Though one of my cows (a big Simmental, first calver) is looking a bit ribby and I can also see her backbone,which has worried me. She has one of the best and biggest calves too, but I don't want to run her down so that was part of the reason I asked about the early weaning. Most of the other cows seem to be doing ok. I have been supplementing with baleage and with recent rains grass is coming away nicely now - so hopefully we can pull through.

Latest posts