Early to bed early to rise

Help Support CattleToday:

LRTX1":3h7603h6 said:
I'm at work by 4 most mornings. It's nice to be on the way home at 1 with several hours of daylight left.

Should be against the law for a man to have to be at work by 4am. 4 am is getting in bed time not a getting up time. :cry2:

I'll tell ya what's nice. Being on a board where people actually work no matter their age. People here have differences but have one common thread, we don't mind working. That ain't so common any more. Here's to y'all. :drink:

kenny thomas":2av8mw0p said:
LRTX1":2av8mw0p said:
I'm at work by 4 most mornings. It's nice to be on the way home at 1 with several hours of daylight left.

Should be against the law for a man to have to be at work by 4am. 4 am is getting in bed time not a getting up time. :cry2:
Kenny I agree. But it wasn't that way when cows had to be milked.

I'm with Sim-ang-King.. When I had a real job, if I was at work by 6am, my commute, including a stop for coffee, was about 25 minutes, and the drive home at 3pm was about 40 minutes... If I wanted to start work at 8, my drive in to work was over an hour, and 2 hours on the way home most days.. I may not like getting up early, but I'm not that dumb, if I can save myself 2 hours a day.. so for years I got up at 5 am.. I was on the road a lot, so when I had to travel out to atlantic time, I could get up at 7am local, and not throw my body's clock too far out of whack. I worked 3300 hours in the last year I worked at that job.
I am by all means a night owl, if I get up early, I usually take an afternoon snooze, and then work more in the evening, especially if there's something to do in the shop.

Amen to Highgrit! To all the people who spent 5 years in college before actually getting to work (making them about 25ish), we farm and ranch folk start working, well.. for me it was 11 when we bought the farm... so when I hear someone who's 50 (I'm 35) say "Oh you're young", I just think "but we've probably done about the same amount of work in our lives"... And well, farming and ranching is tough on a body... I put up 2000 bales of hay a year, give or take, and I handle each bale by hand twice... I lift 320,000 lbs of hay a year... when we grew vegetables, in the harvest season I'd be handling about 30,000 lbs a day.. And with our work, there's always little accidents that can haunt you for the rest of your life... stepping in potholes (does wonders for the back), tendinitis, arthritis, etc, never mind the angry momma cows.
My parents used to hound me about getting up really early, but they're getting used to it and we all make it work now... I get the late shift for calving time, my last check usually being at 1am, and I usually feed them at that time too. My mother, the early bird, gets the morning shift... if there's anything happening she tells me and I'll drag myself out of bed... once I'm up, it takes at least an hour for my brain to warm up, so I'll usually stay up until I nap...