Early morning redfish

Help Support CattleToday:

jfont

Reaction score
My seven year old son and I went down to the coast the other day to cut the grass at the camp. That evening we caught two before dark and geared up for the morning. At daylight we put the boat in the water and started catching some nice redfish. We were two shy of our limit when they stopped biting, so we ran out to the jetties at the mouth of the gulf and bounced some shrimp off the rocks and in 30 min we caught two bull reds. 12lb & 17lb. We had our limit by 9am, picked up the boat, cut the grass, did a few odds and ends and were on the road for noon. Weighed all of them at home and came out with 77 lbs of fish. I couldn't have hoped for a better morning.
That little boy couldn't wait to tease his sister for deciding not to come.

100_2114-1.jpg

100_2111.jpg

Wow! That is a good day. I bet they fought good. I think your daughter just learned a valuable lesson.

yeah I think she did. She said next time we go she's comming.
You're right about the fight, those fish pull. They averaged about 5lbs a piece, only one under 20" long.
As soon as I can download the pictures I'll post them.

good catch! sounds like you two had a blast. How are they for eating? and how do you cook them?

dieselbeef":1kwe4r9m said:
cannot possess all that fish here in fl..thatll git ya locked up bigtime..awesome day of fishin tho ~!!

Amen to that! They'd have you seven floors under the jail beneath the child molesters and murderers. Bernie Maddoff couldn't even pay your fine.

dieselbeef wrote:
cannot possess all that fish here in fl..thatll git ya locked up bigtime..awesome day of fishin tho ~!!

How many are yall allowed to keep over there ? Here it's five per man per day, only one over 27" and nothing under 16".
Joe, how many can yall keep in Georgia ?

by mnmtranching on Fri May 22, 2009 7:46 am

good catch! sounds like you two had a blast. How are they for eating? and how do you cook them?
I like them fried, and the bigger slabs are very good on the grill.

jfont":fph7w02g said:
Joe, how many can yall keep in Georgia ?

I think the limit is 5 in Georgia but I don't like fishing in the Atlantic cause its a moody body of water and has led to some epic fishing trips for me.

I used to mainly fish the gulf in Florida till I had a little run in with the tax collector over some gut hooked bait stealing sea bass I caught which I thought would make for wonderful cut bait - being that they were already dead and all. Was always taught not to waste wildlife. If you kill it you either need to eat it or use it. Not so in Florida. This was by far the most expensive bait I ever used and I haven't been back since. Well except for my court appearance. :oops: Yes, I'm a rogue criminal and was tried along with the druggies and child abusers over a dead or soon to be dead fish. :???: Limit there is 1 fish and it has to be greater than 18 inches and less than 27 inches.
Oh, did I mention that Florida DNR can kiss my .... :lol2:

Latest posts