Early maturity

Help Support CattleToday:

Jake

Reaction score
We had a heifer calf this week in the lot that was about 650-700# she threw a tiny calf that weighed 33 lbs. This heifer was only 14 months old. Amazing what she did we didn't ever figure we'd need to watch them until one day she came up with a little calf at her side.

Jake":2b15wkqf said:
We had a heifer calf this week in the lot that was about 650-700# she threw a tiny calf that weighed 33 lbs. This heifer was only 14 months old. Amazing what she did we didn't ever figure we'd need to watch them until one day she came up with a little calf at her side.
Jake: Angus are one of the earliest maturing females that I know of. They will start cycling about 8 months old. Your heifer must have been bred at 5 months of age, a full 10 months early. Question is, who is the craddle robbing daddy?

It's not her dad that's for sure. But it's an old bull about 8 or 9 that we have around here. He is in the lot now because he was having trouble keeping condition but we might just have to keep him because we're so short on mature bulls but hate too because we're so short on grass. Decisions Decisions...

do you have steers or bull calves. those little boogers will suprise you how early they mature too. maybe brother

Mostly steers but we kept a few bull calves out of our A.I.ed heifers from last year. None of them were related to her other than in herd genetic ties no brothers or anything like that.

I got a few pictures of her this weekend I just need to get them off the digital camera and get it set up so I can use tripod or something to post them. It's amazing she's gained about 25 pounds since she had him and weighs about 750# the calf is suffering from a mineral defficiency right now that is causing his eyes to be a little screwed up. Spose I need to give him some Vitamin A. I'll try to get those pictures of her posted soon

What is the best way to get these pics posted? I finally got them to load to the computer now I can't get tripod to work and don't have a website of my own that's not a Yahoo! one.

Jake":33nwr4dm said:
I got a few pictures of her this weekend I just need to get them off the digital camera and get it set up so I can use tripod or something to post them. It's amazing she's gained about 25 pounds since she had him and weighs about 750# the calf is suffering from a mineral defficiency right now that is causing his eyes to be a little screwed up. Spose I need to give him some Vitamin A. I'll try to get those pictures of her posted soon

Hello, Could You tell me how do mineral def. mess a calves eyes up? I had a calf with cloudy eyes at birth. The vet. said he had a 50/50 chance of clearing up. after about 3 months it did clear up.
Thanks, Steve

usually its due to the calf being born from a lot cow or heifer that hasnt been on a full mineral program and has just had what is in the feed. Vets can give you shots that will clear them up faster that have a concentrate of the needed minerals

One if my neighbors just had a Simmental heifer to get bred that was still nursing on mama. The heifer is only seven months old. Of course they gave her a shot of Lutalyse though.

How late can you give a lutalyse shot after a young heifer gets bred? I have some heifers that are close to breeding age, but I want to AI them instead of breeding them to what is closely related. Any info. would be appreciated.

greatgerts":36w61qyz said:
How late can you give a lutalyse shot after a young heifer gets bred? I have some heifers that are close to breeding age, but I want to AI them instead of breeding them to what is closely related. Any info. would be appreciated.

Obviously the sooner the better your chances. I am thinking after about 90 days the calf would start to become hard to abort. I have never gone over 50 days and have been successful at that time.

Rod

here she is sorry it took so long to get it all worked out
P1010121.JPG

yeah I'm working on it. I have to set the setting smaller and get it so you don't have to have a big screen tv to look at it. what did you think of the heifer? think I should try to by a half of her and use my conformation gift of half a cow as the other half of payment? anything that can calf at that age and have no problems is definately worth keeping around in my book!

Jake
She is a good looking hfr. with a good udder. I would like to be able to see all of her at one time, but you will get that worked out. :) :)

Wow, never looked at it that way. I would run like a scalded dog from selecting for that trait. But to each his own.

She looks healthy, good luck with her.

Jake":12s64ev2 said:
yeah I'm working on it. I have to set the setting smaller and get it so you don't have to have a big screen tv to look at it. what did you think of the heifer? think I should try to by a half of her and use my conformation gift of half a cow as the other half of payment? anything that can calf at that age and have no problems is definately worth keeping around in my book!

lol I should have that all fixed soon havn't had the time to fiddle with it for a while and won't til early next week with working cattle, school, and drivers ed. what a couple weeks these have been between those three and the girlfriend I hardly find time to read this board everyday.

calving that young and small can stunt a heifer pretty bad, i have seen some small cows that raise a good calf. for their size but the calf will not get very big either.

just this weekend I found 5 bred 16 months old Simmental heifers, they should had been serviced by a 36 month 1/4 Simbrah bull that I had in the autumn-winter season with 64 Simmental heifers (6-14 months old), the strange thing is that the bull has more than 2 months out of the farm and these heifers will be calving at the most in one month so they were service at 8 months, next time I won't have small heifers expose to a bull I prefer to expose them after 12 months

Latest posts