Early going difficulties

Help Support CattleToday:

bandit80

Reaction score
This year hasn't been all roses to start. First calf had to be pulled 2 weeks ago. He was about 4 weeks premature and very dead. Second heifer to calf had to have some assistance. She didn't stick AI and got bred by my brother's new bull who was supposed to be a low BW bull. Calf weighed 90 pounds, way to heavy for my liking, especially out of a heifer.

Cows are due to start the 12th, and have 3 on the ground thus far. Weather has been really nice thankfully. Calling for highs in the 60's and even 70 here on Friday, then with some rain moving in Sunday through Tuesday. Supposed to stay fairly warm though.

1982vett":qkupgbxb said:
Maybe you got all the problems out of the way now and things can go smoothly.

That's what I kept telling myself this year, but calving season sucked all the way thru. Everything from huge calves (same cows/bulls, same diet) to just plain dumb schitt like legs back and breeches. Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

We've had a little of everything thrown at us so far (and only been calving for 9 days - 11 calved).
Set of twins (one upside down w/ head back - saved both heifer/bull), full breech (saved, heifer), 1 born outside during harsh night out of heifer, found dead ( born same day as twins - spliced freemartin on - took immediately) (my screw-up, she was a week away from being due & didn't show signs of being even a little close), had cow calve furthest distance away in "up close" lot outside. Home alone, had to drag about 50 yards to get to 4-wheeler (snow was waay too deep for quad), about busted a gut getting onto the quad, but mom & calf did fine in barn, out next day. Had to get him in, he couldn't stand up in the snow - too deep. I was gone shopping for about 2 hours & she slipped him out too quick.

cfpinz":5ourh4d5 said:
1982vett":5ourh4d5 said:

That's what I kept telling myself this year, but calving season sucked all the way thru. Everything from huge calves (same cows/bulls, same diet) to just plain dumb schitt like legs back and breeches. Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
I heard that :!:

1982vett":o01upcer said:

I hope so. Had another last night when I went to check right before midnight. I like the uneventful births.

2 years ago, I lost the first calf and proceded to lose 5 more. 6 doesn't sound like alot, but then I only had 35 cows. Last year only lost 1 out of 42. I would take only losing 1 out of the 46 this year.

We been averaging about 2 a day. The weather actaully been co operating with us, +5 celsius average.
So far so good, no losses yet and we are almost half done. :banana:

bandit80":mqlch9cr said:
This year hasn't been all roses to start. First calf had to be pulled 2 weeks ago. He was about 4 weeks premature and very dead. Second heifer to calf had to have some assistance. She didn't stick AI and got bred by my brother's new bull who was supposed to be a low BW bull. Calf weighed 90 pounds, way to heavy for my liking, especially out of a heifer.

Cows are due to start the 12th, and have 3 on the ground thus far. Weather has been really nice thankfully. Calling for highs in the 60's and even 70 here on Friday, then with some rain moving in Sunday through Tuesday. Supposed to stay fairly warm though.

I agree that 90 lbs is a bit big for a heifer. Hope she does ok and breeds back on time. We've got one more to calve. Wish she'd hurry up and get it done.

1982vett":197m1bf0 said:

I agree it sounds like you had your hands full. A few years ago I lost 7 calves all of them died at exactly 2 weeks of age, I had a complete PM and blood samples done on three of them (500 bucks a pop) came back negative for all the pathogens we suspected; in other words no real cause of death..Was the worst calving season ever and made me really miss dairy farming as I hardly ever lost a calf..

Good luck with your season and I hope all goes as smooth as butter.

We are at +10 c today, a lot warmer than I like for calving this time of year. I wish that mine would pop out 2 a day but they like to calve all at the same time in two or three day intervals..It doesn't surprise me anymore when I go out to check and 4 cows are laying down with feet sticking out..They really are a bunch of Yentas.. :lol2:

Stocker Steve":29v7clsk said:
Why are you calving in early February?
Who are you asking?
We calve now because there is no MUD and much less health problems. But, with the temps & brutal winds, we must get them in the barn and they stay in for about 24 hours. Once they have sucked & are dry, nothing seems to bother them. But, later in late March thru month of April, the mud can kill a young calf faster than anything.
Besides the fact that steer calves are much bigger at sale time. And, we sell mostly breeding stock & show calves. Buyers like the older, bigger calves.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2s471lek said:
Stocker Steve":2s471lek said:
Why are you calving in early February?
Who are you asking?
We calve now because there is no MUD and much less health problems. But, with the temps & brutal winds, we must get them in the barn and they stay in for about 24 hours. Once they have sucked & are dry, nothing seems to bother them. But, later in late March thru month of April, the mud can kill a young calf faster than anything.
Besides the fact that steer calves are much bigger at sale time. And, we sell mostly breeding stock & show calves. Buyers like the older, bigger calves.

And if you are asking me,

I start my calving in February for many reasons. Our grass is able to be grazed about mid-April. Therefore, the cow's highest nutrient requirement matches up with the best feed resources. I like to AI my cows, and I like to do so in early May. The larger summer pastures are not near the wintering facility, so I must AI fairly early to get them out to their summer home in good time. November & December don't match feed resources very well, January is generally too cold, March tends to be muddy, April is too late as I would be A.I. in July!!, and just forget May-July. If I want to sell yearling bulls, they would be 15-16 months old at their first breeding.

Our weather is probably a little bit different than yours in February. In my opinion, February and late August/early September are the optimal times for calves to be hitting the ground in my area.

9 calves have hit the ground here so far . . . 4 are dead. one dummy calf never made it, set of twins alive at birth never made it, one just last night looks to have been born dead. SS Objective son weighing 100 lbs! Heavy calves this year too. Had a SAV Bismark calf weighing 100 lbs. The twins that were born weighed 160 lbs combined. Got the calves piled out back waiting for a thaw. One young bull lost it's momma two weeks ago . . . 5 year old cow dead on its side. What's up???!?!?

angus9259":1nabub4m said:
9 calves have hit the ground here so far . . . 4 are dead. one dummy calf never made it, set of twins alive at birth never made it, one just last night looks to have been born dead. SS Objective son weighing 100 lbs! Heavy calves this year too. Had a SAV Bismark calf weighing 100 lbs. The twins that were born weighed 160 lbs combined. Got the calves piled out back waiting for a thaw. One young bull lost it's momma two weeks ago . . . 5 year old cow dead on its side. What's up???!?!?

I do not know this year has been weird. I think maybe it is the extremely cold and wet weather we have had. I vaccinate my cows every 6 months and the calves I vaccinate at 3 months and then again at weaning and have never lost any animals until this year and thus far I have lost two calves. It sucks.

It sounds like everyone has been having problems this year.

We lost a yearling a few weeks ago.

The first calf this year was born fine, we just had to put him in the barn. Second calf was too big, about 90 pounds out of a heifer. Had to have a C-Section done. Calf is fine, but the cow was down for a while. She finally got up last Saturday, 2 weeks later.

Last Wednesday, another heifer started calving. The feet looked huge. The vet came out and decided it was too big. We didn't even try to pull it. Another C-Section... The calf was a huge, dead, bull. We figure he was over 100 pounds. The heifer is doing good, though.

Nothing this year has been different, same bull, same feed, etc.

I hope so. Had another last night when I went to check right before midnight. I like the uneventful births.

2 years ago, I lost the first calf and proceded to lose 5 more. 6 doesn't sound like alot, but then I only had 35 cows. Last year only lost 1 out of 42. I would take only losing 1 out of the 46 this year.[/quote]

What happened?

Latest posts