Early discharge?

Help Support CattleToday:

MRRherefords

Reaction score
I have a heifer that is pregnant for her first calf. She was vet checked safe for an early May calf. This morning I found discharge on her while she was eating. There was no blood in it, just a dirty tint to it. Should I be concerned?

Without seeing it, I would say that's normal. No pus or blood usually is nothing to worry about. Mine usually have discharge for the last few months of their pregnancy. If she was still eating this morning, then she's not likely to be in distress. Was it a lot? Like the cervical mucous plug that gets expelled a few hours before calving? Is she showing any udder development? Dilation of the vulva? If not, you should be just fine!

SIMMGAL":dgyts8sp said:
Without seeing it, I would say that's normal. No pus or blood usually is nothing to worry about. Mine usually have discharge for the last few months of their pregnancy. If she was still eating this morning, then she's not likely to be in distress. Was it a lot? Like the cervical mucous plug that gets expelled a few hours before calving? Is she showing any udder development? Dilation of the vulva? If not, you should be just fine!
There was a long string of discharge. She is not showing any signs of udder enlargement or vulva dilation. Thanks.

Some of my cows will show that a couple of weeks to a month before calving. I have a note on my phone with all of my best guess calving dates so when I see it I can double check.

This early I would be keeping a close eye for abnormal signs. Usually the summer plug doesn;t get passed till a month or so before calving. Some wait until just before calving.

wbvs58":13xo0u86 said:
She sounds like she has been in season. I would get her checked.

Ken
She was preg tested by the vet in the fall and said to be safe @ 40 days in September. I have kept her in a small barn with the other bred heifers where I can check on her every day. I have not seen any signs of heat all fall and winter. The discharge is definitely not the plug as it is too small and thin to be that. Is there a chance the vet was wrong? She is not showing any signs of heat and none of the other cows are even around her.

MRRherefords":3aj73wzk said:
wbvs58":3aj73wzk said:

Ken
She was preg tested by the vet in the fall and said to be safe @ 40 days in September. I have kept her in a small barn with the other bred heifers where I can check on her every day. I have not seen any signs of heat all fall and winter. The discharge is definitely not the plug as it is too small and thin to be that. Is there a chance the vet was wrong? She is not showing any signs of heat and none of the other cows are even around her.
40 days is pretty small and the vet probably did not make a mistake but I did have a vet 2 months wrong when palpating a heifer once. Calf came 2 months before he said, healthy. I am assuming it was an ultrasound when she was palpated in the fall?

BK9954":zwtfs991 said:
MRRherefords":zwtfs991 said:
wbvs58":zwtfs991 said:

Ken
40 days is pretty small and the vet probably did not make a mistake but I did have a vet 2 months wrong when palpating a heifer once. Calf came 2 months before he said, healthy. I am assuming it was an ultrasound when she was palpated in the fall?
It was not by ultrasound. She palpated her and after talking to the vet. She is quite confident of the pregnancy.

Latest posts